Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
adding humidity

Posted by brit1 (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 31, 14 at 21:00

I cannot use a humidifier because my well water ruins them. I have lots of plants in the house, many of them in water vs soil. I have a small crock pot of warm water in bedroom and was wondering about putting a large one in family room to see if that would do the job. I did have a nice Homedics fountain but it finally gave out after many years but i do think it helped. We have oil baseboard heat. Thanks for any ideas. I have a little plastic thingie that measures the humidity but we seem to be around 25% which is below their "comfort" zone. brit

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: adding humidity

You can use a humidifier (or more than one) with distilled or reverse osmosis water, which you can make at home or purchase.

I've been distilling water at home for nearly 3-decades and have a 1-gallon, counter-top, water distiller. The cost for electricity to make 1-gallon is around 21-cents - when checked with a Kill-A-Watt Meter at our electric rates. The least expensive reverse osmosis water (fill-your-own in a dubious little unheated "water shack") I can purchase is 35-cents a gallon. The fill-your-own services are also available at all the grocery stores and Wal-Mart, costing 45-cents per gallon.

How hot are you keeping your home in order to have such low humidity levels? Perhaps dropping the ambient temperature several degrees would help a little.

-Grainlady

o

I was told as a young person to keep a large pot of water simmering on the stove. I don't use anything, it doesn't bother me.

o

"I cannot use a humidifier because my well water ruins them."

Use distilled water!

o

I have baseboard electric heat and put jars of water on them, works great for me, just remember to keep an eye on the water level.
Christine

o

I run a humidifier in my bedroom all night, and in my living area while home.

I buy distilled water at the grocery store, and stock up when it is marked down.

Works great. No water deposits on furniture/floor, and no problem with the humidifier.

:)

Moni

o

Use milk, vinegar, windshield washer antifreeze, etc. jugs to collect water from friends' houses in the city when visiting to use in the humidifier.

Collect rainwater.

Lacking that, put some of your well water into a tomato, soup, bean, etc. can to sit by the electric heater, or the floor register from a furnace. Perhaps near an older fridge's warmed air flow coming from the condenser: they say that newer fridges don't throw off as much heat. In that latter situation, maybe use a thin stick about 9" to a foot long to hold the top end of an old sock with its bottom end hanging down into the water.

Zero cost associated with any of them (apart from the gas to go visit the friend ... but you were going there, anyway).

ole joyful

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here