SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
azzalea_gw

How Inequitable is THIS?

azzalea
17 years ago

I have no idea how one could save money in this situation. But get this--

Last year, I had to get a copy of my marriage license to renew my driver's license.

Our state--probably others, too--insists on all kinds of info these days to prove who you are. If your last name is different than the name on your birth certificate, you have to prove each and every change along the way. Some poor women, I've heard, have to run down several name changes if they've been divorced multiple times. And your original, church-issued marriage certificate isn't accepted. You have to physically go to the town where you were married and get an 'official' copy of the legal document.

So, anyway. Last year, my marriage certificate copy cost me $15 in the town where the church was that I got married in.

This year, mom needs to renew her dl, so I was getting a copy of her marriage license for her today. She was supposed to get married in the same church I did, but last a minute family emergency caused her to get married in her home--in another town (only a few blocks from her church). The town halls are about 2 miles away from each other.

So, what did I end up paying for her copy today? EIGHT $$$$. For the same service. Boy, just goes to shows, towns pretty much do what they want, no standards or rules.

Comments (36)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor