SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
grainlady_ks

Grocery Price Book

grainlady_ks
17 years ago

New Year's resolution... Dusted off my small, 3-ringed notebook that I've used as a price book (off and on for many years) and am bringing the items up-to-date.

Although I have a $50 food budget per week (2 adults), and that's a good way to keep food costs down - restricting the dollar amount to begin with - I realized I could do a better job if I used the price book again.

I got the original idea of a price book from The Tightwad Gazette (#1 of 3) by Amy Dacyczyn (page 31 - check your local library for a copy). You can find information about grocery price books, as well as computer programs for keeping that information, just do a Google search.

At the top of the page I log the general name of the item (MILK, EGGS, PORK N BEANS, etc.). Then I post the date, store, item-brand, size/price and unit price. Since I also have food in storage that I rotate items from, I also keep my inventory list in the book. Occasionally the use-by dates of certain items are also noted. This information helps me to know if there is peanut butter that is needing to be used up. If so, I can put peanut butter cookies on the baking schedule and use those cookies in the menu, or include more peanut butter and toast for breakfast, or peanut butter sandwiches for lunch on the months menu if I need to use up some peanut butter.

By including the use-by dates, I occasionally get a good buy that has to be placed in the front of the other items, rather than in the back. Sometimes loss-leaders are close to their use-by dates, so I need to be careful not to purchase more than I can realistically use, no matter HOW good the bargain is. If you don't use a jar of grape jelly in 6-months time, it's doubtful that you'll use 3 jars of it that are a few months from their use-by date, no matter how good a bargain they may be.

Using the price book helps you to know, rather than guess, if the price of something is a good buy, or not. It's sometimes hard to remember with infrequently purchased items. It also helps to decide that driving across town for a 3 cent savings isn't always a good choice. Sometimes it's about average price, rather than cheapest.

By posting prices from newspaper sales ads into your price book, as well as store prices, you'll have a good idea where you can usually get the best price, or you'll see a seasonal sale that you can take advantage of. You soon find other outlets for purchasing some items. I've found many good bargains at Walgreens for peanut butter and jelly, as well as some other foods.

Knowing the unit price ($ per ounce/pound/etc.) will be very helpful. The largest size of something may not always have the lowest unit price.

I also have a place in my book for my coupons (I don't use a lot of coupons because I avoid highly processed foods and nutritionally void foods, which seem to be the ones that have coupons), a grocery list, a pencil and calculator.

It's work to get started, but if you don't know where your food dollars are going, then perhaps this method can help.

-Grainlady

Comments (4)