SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joyfulguy

Red face (not from winter wind) on ole joyful

joyfulguy
18 years ago

Some of you may have noticed my satisfaction frequently expressed with regard to my little Dodge Colt, 1.5 litre engine and standard transmission being so frugal on gas.

Hardly remember what a gas station looks like, I've been saying.

Bought 1990 Dodge Colt 200 hatchback summer 1997 with 138,000 km. (87,000 mi.) on the odometer, have had it about 8-1/2 years, it recently turned up 333,333 (about 208,000 mi.) on the odometer - I was hoping to get to 338,000.

Mechanic says that left front suspension is in bad shape, that I shouldn't drive it.

So I'm about to drive it to scrap metal dealer, auto wrecker.

Or possibly to a local Christian agency that rehabilitates addicts that gives charitable receipt for donated vehicles.

I've been looking for a small vehicle with standard transmission, hatchback (to carry the stuff that my son takes to his displays).

A few years old, with low mileage: you know - the kind driven by a little old lady only on Sunday afternoons.

In its place, I'm buying (from an old friend in the auto body business, who sold me the Colt) a 1993 Dodge Taurus station wagon with 3.8 litre V-6 engine, automatic transmission, 183,000 km. (about 115,000 mi.).

Plus it has cruise control. Plus air conditioning, and I've been used to that service via open windows.

I guess that I'll have to get used to staying home more, especially since I live in the country, the engine displacement being over double that of the Colt.

Almost 50 years ago I had a VW Bug - we used to say that, while owners of regular cars had to stop and think before embarking on a substantial trip, considering whether, the cost of gas being what it was, they should decide not to go, the owners of a Bug just climbed in and took off, for they used so little gas.

So the difference in gas consumption was not as major as it might have appeared on the surface.

Hope you all have a lovely New Year.

ole joyful

Comments (6)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES