Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question about hard red wheat. . .

Posted by ilovetn (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 31, 11 at 15:30

I have a lot of hard red wheat. I've been making wheat bread using grainlady's recipe for a while. I'm wondering if I could use some of the red wheat to start using it up? Maybe a cup of red and the rest white?

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question about hard red wheat. . .

ilovetn-

Sure you can. ;-) I sometimes use 50/50, but you'll notice a more acidic "whole wheat" flavor and a darker color. However much you use, I'd suggest putting the red wheat flour in the sponge and using an overnight sponge. The long sponge will help lighten the color and reduce some of the acidic flavor. Save your white wheat flour for the last addition.

I like to use red wheat for growing wheatgrass, making into bulgur, milling for "Cream of Wheat" (farina) cereal, and adding to multi-grain cereal mixes. When I make "cooked" wheat I mix it 1-part red wheat and 4-parts white wheat for a nice color to the mix.

You may find the link below helpful if you've never made your own bulgur. I "cook" my wheat in a Thermos or a Thermal Cooker (if I make a lot), so no long cooking session. It can "cook" itself overnight on the kitchen counter (LOL). Then proceed with the rest of the recipe.

-Grainlady

Here is a link that might be useful: Turning Wheat Berries into Bulgur

o

Thanks Grainlady! I'll give this a try for the next loaf, probably Wednesday.

o

Using red wheat will obviously live its color on the bread, if you are ok with it then you can use a cup of red wheat alongwith white bread

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here