SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
blueberrier1

Too Frugal for anyone?

blueberrier1
15 years ago

To indulge my glass of juice most days, I take one tablespoon from the 12 oz cylinder and add it to 1-2 cups of water. (DH uses 2T). I then return the frozen juice can to the kitchen freezer. Have never liked 'straight' juices. Many friends now do the same.

Years ago, I bought several frozen juices that came in firm plastic that had zip tops and a solid flanged plastic lid. Do not recall that brand-but have been using those plastic lids on the cardboard type juices for years. The cardboard juices have a flat metal lid that does not grip the 12 oz container. I only buy 100%, no additive, juices, mainly pineapple, orange and grape.

When my socks heel holes are too large to mend, I remake the sock/socks. (I wear these in the house and barnyard-not 'to town!). I straight or zigzag stitch the heel area so the upper end (the part that points to the back of your leg) and lower end (the part that aims for the ball of your foot)tpgether. When putting these socks on, you will have the sewn part (former sock bottom) on the topside of your foot. The new sock is tubelike. Worked very well with some ancient wool socks recently.

Sometimes, these creep down my rubber farm boots-but do very well in my hiking boots.

Also, I am one of those who wears unmatched socks when I garden! And, I still wear 'hand-me-up' socks that our children left when flying the coop!

I believe Olejoyful spoke of juices earlier.

Comments (43)

• Adella Bedella
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

If you can work it into your lifestyle, then more power to you.

I don't like straight juice because my mom always watered it down when I was little. My kids like it full strength because that's what they learned in daycare before I quit my job to stay home with them. I compromise and let them drink juice full strength, but only buy it once or twice a month because whole fruit, water, and milk are the better alternatives.

I don't do the sock thing, but that's because I don't need that many pairs of 'old' clothes around the house. I have a few for painting, but I'm working on upgrading my look to be at least presentable enough for when the neighbor kids show up unannounced that I don't scare them. lol!

I miss tube socks. I have growing kids. It's so hard to judge what size the boys need because the socks either shrink too much or I buy larger because I think they will shrink and then they don't.

• joyfulguy
    15 years ago

Sounds good to me.

I've referred to how lonely/ineffectual some of my socks feel which are intact, while they lie unused alongside their holey mates that are awaiting repair.

I tell those socks not to feel too badly ... that when both of them get holed badly enough ... it may be the ragbag ... or the garbage. That seems to perk them up - at least a little.

Actually, I, too, frquently wear unmatched socks at home and in the garden ... and sometimes even on inconsequential errands.

Have a lovely week.

ole joyful - not juiced, today

• Related Discussions

frugal gardening (container ideas)

Q

Comments (23)
    Some people I know get the styrofoam fish boxes from grocery stores. They are small window box size. Then you can deform it to round the edges and look like stone using a heat gun. The idea is faux stone look after you deform then paint. Very stinky bad chemicals when you heat styrofoam tho. I tried it and it bothered me to heat the stuff. My dh was insulating our foundation and then covering the insulation with stucco. He stuccoed my fish box and now its a very light weight planter that looks "real". I want to add some paint cuz I don't love the stucco color but it works very well as a planter is light and free. If you do try to melt styrofoam, do it outside and even then it is nasty. Also want to share hint from another thread of using garden perennials and wild plants in containers. I'm trying it this year in 2 of my pots. Kathy
    ...See More

frugal peony support ideas -anyone?

Q

Comments (7)
    I had to google "peony support" to get ideas, but it looks like it would be simple to rig something from found items. A slim, fallen tree branch or large twig for the stake and a modified wire coat hanger or baling wire hoop should be simple and effective and free, I would think. Good luck! Let us know what you do. I am including a link to a site that sells supports, as a potential template source. Here is a link that might be useful: Peony Support
    ...See More

Are you too Frugal ?

Q

Comments (54)
    Hey Breezyb, Please don't take offense at me, I was trying to be funny (note :-) smiley face, people don't seem to use those so much anymore, so maybe you didn't get it) by saying you wanted us to waste our money on satellite TV. Notice I said in the following two sentences that I enjoy foreign travel (30 countries so far) and had (until recently) a sailboat in the Caribbean (37 ft. catamaran.) Definitely not what some would call frugal, but hey, we loved it. I was trying to show how different people are frugal (and not frugal) in completely different ways. I also want to express amazement about this thing you said **over the years I've just known so many people who were "frugal" for all the wrong reasons, & would like to see others not make the same mistake.** Wow! I have only known my mother to be excessively cheap in a painful sort of way. But I have many friends and relatives who were careless and wasteful and got into big trouble, huge credit card debts, bankruptcies, etc. by not being frugal at all. I would think that is a much bigger and more common problem. So many people wouldn't recognize frugal if it bit them on the butt! I wish I had more frugal friends, lots of people think my hubby and I are exceptionally strange in our monetary habits. Also, the former teacher in me wants to speak out. It is harder for most people to read all capital letters than normal mixed case. It's because the letters are all the same height in Caps, with no higher or lower bits, compare say PADDLE and paddle. You have to look at each letter harder in all caps to figure out what it is, so it can make it annoying to read. Of course people who can't see small things can sometimes read Caps more easily because they are bigger. But in general, mixed case is easier/faster to read because the letters are more clearly differentiated. Marcia (trying to be a nice balance of frugal and fun)
    ...See More

How about some frugal gardening tips?

Q

Comments (15)
    For early starting of non-hardy plants indoors use a nail to punch some holes in the bottom of margarine containers, individual yogurt cups, etc. for drainage, plant seeds in them. Or cut tops off of milk, bleach, etc. containers, punch holes in the bottom. Can cut off top, use bottoms of small packages which are like wax- or plastic-coated cardboard, e.g. single-serving milk containers. If you don't have a space where they can drain without problems, and have a container that can handle some drainage, (e.g. cookie sheet), put them on it. If there's a problem with the plant container standing in water, find something small that is expendable, or a short board, etc. to put under the pot to hold it above the drained water. Join a garden club, horticultural society, then trade seeds, slips, started plants, etc. (but if they hold a plant exchange, they'll probably charge a transfer fee to help cover the group's expenses). Check neighbours, friends to find fellow gardeners (though, gardeners, being inclined to talk about their hobby, you may well know who they are at present). Trade seeds, slips, ideas with them. Grow more than you can use of crops that grow easily at your space, then trade produce with neighbours who grow stuff that you don't or find hard to grow. Frugal forever! joyful
    ...See More
  • mommabird
    15 years ago

I wear unmatched wool socks a lot - even 'to town.' I'm grinning at that phrase, blueberrier - I grew up way out in a rural area and we always called it 'going to town.' When I moved to the Big City, my friends laughed at me for talking about going to town. Anyway, my washer and dryer both have a voriacious appetite for socks, so if I didn't wear unmatched wool ones, I wouldn't have any wool ones! And wool socks are so expensive, I can't keep buying new pairs all the time.

DS #2, age 12, wears unmatched socks a lot too. He seems to loose them on boy scout campouts, school gym locker, etc. It doesn't bother him at all to wear them unmatched.

When I was a kid, we had juice glasses. They were only about 5 or 6 oz. At breakfast you got one full of either grape or orange juice. At no other time during the day was the juice ever touched. It amazed me when I met DH and saw how his family guzzled juice like it was water, big 12 and 16 oz glasses of it at a time. BTW my family is very thin and lean, and his entire family is obese - wonder if it's from all the sugar they are drinking in those huge glasses of juice?

I have a "one glass" rule with my kids. They can have 6-8 oz of juice with either breakfast or dinner, and when that's gone they can refill their glass with water or milk. I don't want them drinking all the sugar and acid! When DS #1 was a toddler he had terrible dental cavaties. He never once went to bed with a bottle or went to bed without brushing his teeth. But, the babysitter gave each kid a sippy cup of juice all day long, with unlimited access. The dentist told me that the sugar and acids in juice are as bad for your teeth as soda pop, and that kids should never ever have sippy cups of juice. He said kids should sit at the table and drink a glass of juice quickly, then have a sippy cup of water if they want more. He said the sippy cup keeps their teetch basically bathed in sugar and acid all day. We instructed the babysitter he was not allowed to have sippy cups of juice and he didn't have another cavity.

Actually I can't stand to drink a big glass of juice - it makes me sick to my stomach and just makes me thirsty for water!

• western_pa_luann
    15 years ago

"Too Frugal for anyone?"

I don't see why it matters what others think...

• ilene_in_neok
    15 years ago

You know, I take little frugal steps all the time. Some people think that's just stupid. Although he would never say it aloud to me, I think my husband is amused by my "little savings". One day I'm going to start a list of the small savings and add them up at the end of the month. I'll bet he would be surprised.

He thinks nothing of paying $3 to wash his vehicle at a car wash, even though it probably only costs a dollar or less to wash it in the driveway. He says, "It's only $3". What he never realizes is that, and all the other non-frugal things he does, add up.

My grown son is the same way. He never seems to have any money and even though I have tried to make him understand why that is, he is in total denial. He buys fast food instead of cooking. He thinks, because he lives alone, that it's cheaper his way. He has a small chest-type freezer so storage is not an issue. I pointed out that he could even buy frozen dinners at the grocery store for about half what he pays for the same amount of fast food. But oh well.

At one point DH was taking a prescription that was supposed to be taken with orange juice, so I had to buy orange juice for him. Prior to that I never bought juice. The whole piece of fruit is so much better. He still thinks he has to have it, so I'm still buying it, even though it is a struggle to keep the grandson out of it because he will guzzle. It seems like anything drinkable is expensive now. I can still get frozen juice concentrate 12 oz. for a dollar, if I watch the sales. It makes 48 oz. Milk, of course, has gone over the top. Tea bags can still be had, 100 teabags for $1. So a nice cup of tea is only a penny, and the tea has antioxidants. Of course DH will only drink tea if it's iced, and if it's summer. Some people have so many hang-ups it really gets in the way of saving money, and it gets annoying when you're frugal and have a spouse who thinks it's a waste of time. He drinks coffee, but that's gone through the roof in price too.

He won't wear mis-matched sox, but I get around that by buying several pair just alike. And he decided he needed a new pair of shoes so went to a store for which I had a $5 coupon, but they didn't have what he wanted in the width he needs. So even though he knew I could get on-line and order, I guess I didn't do it fast enough, because he brought home a new pair of New Balance shoes a day or so later that cost $100. Now, I believe in good shoes, especially if you walk a lot. But he only walks to get from the car to wherever. He wears out the tops of his shoes first.

There's one thing, though, that's too frugal for me, and probably others here. It's kind of gross, actually. About the only paper product my mother ever used was bathroom tissue. They used rags or newspaper instead of paper towels and handkerchiefs instead of tissue. I don't buy paper towels, although DH grumbles about not having them. One day Mom decided bathroom tissue had become too expensive. She kept some in the house, for company, but for herself and Dad, she kept washcloths nearby. The sink was handy and the water heater right next to it, so it was easy to grab a washcloth, moisten it with warm water and then use it instead of bathroom tissue. She got a diaper pail to put the used washcloths in and would wash them with rags and hankies in the washer with hot water and bleach when washday rolled around. You know, I can see some benefits to this. It's kind of gross to think about, but you're cleaner for it. I mean, if you saw urine or 'poo' on the floor, would you wipe it up with a tissue and consider it cleaned up? Actually it's not as smelly as using cloth diapers for the baby. I haven't yet talked myself into being quite this frugal, and of course DH would tell our kids I have finally gone over the edge into insanity, (once again, it's only a few dollars for bathroom tissue) but maybe someday I will.

• mommabird
    15 years ago

Ilene - I am laughing out loud about your mom's "toilet practice." Your DH WILL think you've gone over the edge if you bring home a diaper pail and a few dozen cheap washclothes : )

I used cloth diapers for my boys - now ages 14, 12, and 9. You do have a point - I wasn't grossed out to think of having a diaper pail and washing the diapers several times a week. And I coulnd't even use bleach in diapers - too rough for their skin. I used borax and washing soda instead and double rinsed.

Your mom is probably way ahead of her time. If the encomony keeps going South we'll all be using cheap washcloths insted of Charmin!

• ilene_in_neok
    15 years ago

Oh, I've got a million stories about my mom. Being frugal was like a game to her.

Mom had only a third grade education, but she was very smart and good at 'figuring things out'. She was taught how to play the piano and the violin by her mother, who was also very smart and who had had a good education. I'm sure there was a lot of 'home schooling' done at their house, just as a natural occurrence. Mom never worked outside of the home. There were 5 of us kids and she kept busy at home. After all us kids were grown and gone, though, she started keeping an extremely detailed diary, and wrote down every penny they spent and got a little obsessive about being frugal to the point that we were often hesitant about eating some of the dishes she would serve when we all would get together at their house. We solved this problem by everyone bringing a dish, and asking Mom to just make rolls. She used my Dad's grandmother's recipe for bread and made it every week, so when she made rolls it was just that bread recipe in smaller pieces. It was simple and cheap, just flour, yeast, sugar, bacon grease and water, but it always tasted good and it was about the only thing she never "sneaked" a leftover into.

• budster
    15 years ago

Well frugal is in the eye of the beholder I believe. I will try something and if it works great!, if not I might adjust it or drop the whole idea. The thing is I'm always looking for something else new to try. Sure some members of my family (mainly my niece and nephews) just hoot at some of my practices but the thing is they still want Auntie's cooking and recipes and come for advice. Nope I'll stay in my little frugal world and enjoy the successes.

• stargazzer
    15 years ago

I thought juice (fruit) was good for you and that you needed so many servings a day. You are making Kool Aid out of it???? I can't drink juice on an empty stomach, I drink it with breakfast. I have an acid problem even without juice.

• ilene_in_neok
    15 years ago

If you get fruit during your day there is no need for juice. Whole fruit is so much better for you than juice, and if you have an acid problem, I imagine it would be easier for you because of the pulp.

You have to be careful with juice when you buy. If it says "fruit drink" or "juice drink" then probably only a small percentage of it is really juice. The rest is sugar, artificial flavor and color and water. Sunny Delight is one example. If you have any doubts, look at the ingredients. It should not say "corn syrup" or include colors or flavors. Although it may say something about it being "from concentrate" and that means you're getting the same thing as if you bought frozen juice concentrates and mixed them with water yourself.

• dgmarie
    15 years ago

The use of rags instead of toilet paper is called "family cloth" and there are people I know who do this. I am not one of those people. I draw a line at having diaper pails of feces-ladden cloth in my bathrooms. Sorry. That's disgusting.

Want to go all out frugal? How about us gals ditch the tampons and invest in one of these babies: The Diva Cup. I'll let you mind go to work on this one.

Some things are not worth scrimping pennies over folks.

Here is a link that might be useful: Diva Cup

• lightlystarched
    15 years ago

Are you mocking the Diva cup? I have one and I love it.

I never have to buy sanitary items. I only have to spend about 30 seconds in the morning, and 30 seconds in the evening rinsing out the cup. Never had a leak. At the end of the cycle, just wash and sterilize in boiling water. Easy peasy, cheap, non-abrasive, no odors, and honestly like not having a period at all.

• stargazzer
    15 years ago

Well, now I'll tell you about my Mom's yucky habit. She uses rags instead of paper. She is 96 years old and would be horrified if she knew years ago that is what she would be doing when she got old. I can excuse her, because she knows not what she does, she has dementia but excuse someone in their right mind no way, no way. What is the term obsessive whatever disorder? I'm sorry but there is something terribly wrong with someone that won't buy tissue paper if they can afford it in this day and age. AND wash it in the same washing machine with your other clothes??????

At least you wouldn't have a hemroid problem.

• dgmarie
    15 years ago

Are you mocking the Diva cup? I have one and I love it

Why yes, I am ;-)

To each his own, but this product is beyond gross to me. The thought of having to repeatedly dump the gorey contents of a plastic vaginal cup in a public restroom at work is entirely unappealing to me. How in the world is this useful unless you are at home all day? Do you carry the dirty one in your purse? Blech. My friends use it because they are very frugal but for me, no way. I'll find other ways to save money!

• tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    15 years ago

For some people it may depend on how desperate you are to save pennies. I would certainly give the Diva cup a second look in the future (not quite ready yet though). There may be some very rough times ahead and I would not be too proud to overlook any strategy that would benefit my family dramatically. Even the cheapest tampons at Wal-Mart are roughly a dime pop so why flush a dime every time?

The washing machine can do a perfectly good job of sterilizing any family wipes, wash em in hot water and even add some bleach if you are too phobic. The dryer or if you line dry, sunlight would further aid in the killing of any pathogens. There would probably be many other areas in the house with far more immune hazard to them. I probably would not go there unless absolutely necessary though for a different reason. I have used cloth diapers for my babies and I know that they consume much more the bigger they get than they did when they were 10 pounds and breast fed. I don't want to deal with the quantities.

BTW, I take my juice straight. I like the flavor, I just drink a small glass though. The whole fruit may be better but it is difficult to find pomegranates most of the year.

• stargazzer
    15 years ago

the reason i wouldn't put those cloths in the washer is: my husband was in a care home and i brought a couple of his shirts home to mend. I laundered them and when I touch them with a hot iron, they really, really stunk of feces.

• liz_h
    15 years ago

If you live with a home septic system and can't flush your tampons, those Diva cups are not nearly so unattractive!

• ilene_in_neok
    15 years ago

I'm post-menopausal long ago and had never heard of the Diva cup during my "fertile" years. Wonder why they don't advertise, they could sure put a dent in the tampon/pad trade.

How well I remember how uncomfortable I always was with the supplies available. Tampons are uncomfortable and not always dependable. Pads are messy and there's that odor. Then there's the expense. And of course who hasn't seen the commercial where the woman sends her husband to pick up pads and he has no idea what to get once he sees the vast number of different kinds, not to mention that he is embarrassed at check-out time.

I went to high school with a guy who ended up owning a septic tank business. His slogan was, "NOBODY sticks their nose in MY business!" LOL But anyway he told me when people who have septic tanks flush tampons it's quite a mess to straighten out. I can't help but think that somewhere there's a big ol' wad of tampons somewhere in every city sewer system. Ewwwww.

It seems to me a cup that could be rinsed and the contents flushed would be a lot cleaner than placing a used pad in one of those gross little boxes in a public restroom stall. Assuming, of course, that the rinsing of the cup is not done in the sink. That would kind of gross me out.

On another forum, some time back, or maybe even on this one, there was a thread about the cup and people were actually keeping the rinse water and pouring it in their flower beds.

• gonativegal
    15 years ago

We are very frugal but I had some bad experiences with my inlaws who really went beyond the notion of frugal to the point of OCD disorder. There was a certain meanness about it. And it wasn't just the reusing of wrapping paper at Christmas I mentioned in another thread - MIL would get very upset if we tore even a bit while unwrapping presents.

My husband used to relate a story of how his parents would make cookies - it included making each small cookie the exact same size and counting them and then rationing them, based on FIL's calculations, so that each person in the house could have one cookie each for about a month. An child caught going over the one cookie limit was given serious corporal punishment.

I used to laugh at some of these stories until we had to live with them for a month after graduating college while looking for a job years ago in a tanked economy. It was pretty awful. I made a simple apple pie - my MIL carefully sliced the pie into 8 pieces. She and FIL refused to eat anything we ever cooked but flipped out (said terrible things) when I had a small second piece that same evening. There were other incidents like this - we couldn't leave soon enough. We weren't lazy while living at their house, scrubbed & cleaned every day while looking for a job every day as well.

I think there are people that carry frugality almost into the realm of "meanness" & "stinginess." Perhaps some of it is impending dementia from being elderly or OCD but it can be sometimes, even if not intended, rather hurtful.

• ilene_in_neok
    15 years ago

Oh, that's really sad. My mother was close to the edge but not that far over. She always wanted her family and guests to have all they wanted to eat, in fact, she considered it a compliment to her cooking to have people go back for seconds. This really came back on me the first time I went to a family dinner at my new inlaws' house. I was trying to make a good first impression and they thought I was a real pig. That was a hard reputation to put to rest, too.

Mom saved money in lots of ways, some things to the point of absurdity, but she never rationed food.

I get irritated at DH because, for a boy raised by a share-cropper, he sure is picky! He has to have Pepsi, no substitutes! He doesn't like and won't eat any kind of cooked greens, or beets, or sweet potatoes, or squash unless it's fried, real butter, skim milk, kefir or yogurt or buttermilk, olives, sprouts, pumpkin, and a host of other things I can't think of right now. When we have beans, he's not happy unless it has a lot of ham in it. Of course I don't like meat in my beans and since I'm the cook I may put a little in but I always pick the meat out of mine. And I don't put in nearly as much as he would like. Sometimes it gets really annoying to me to have him taste something and stick out his tongue or say, "I don't care for it". I admit to rolling my eyes and letting out an annoyed sigh and giving him "that look". Early in our marriage I tried to cook what he liked and it was fried meat and potatoes. I was raised on food like that, too, and by the time I learned how to cook in a way that was better for us, he was no longer motivated to please me by enjoying my cooking and I was overweight. It's so much fun to cook for friends because my friends' husbands love my cooking and they really let me know. I wish DH could be like that.

Living with parents / in-laws is difficult under the best conditions. I would have lived in a refrigerator box before I would've moved in with either side. LOL My hat's off to you for surviving as well as you did. Can you imagine the kind of childhood your DH must've had. OMG!

• jannie
    15 years ago

The cheapest thing I do is with pantyhose. When I get a run in a leg, I cut off the leg. It leaves you with the pantyhose underpants with one good leg. Put it aside. When you get a run in another pair, do the same. Then put the two cut sets together. You can turn one in-side-out if needed. You have two pairs of ubderpants and two good legs. Put them on one over the other and you look just fine.

• nancylouise5me
    15 years ago

Yep, that would be to frugal for me. It sort of defeats the purpose of drinking fruit juice. I drink it for taste and the nutrition it provides. It doesn't seem like you are getting either the way you do it. Fresh squeezed or whole fruit is the way I like it. NancyLouise

• jannie
    15 years ago

My husband's cousins wife used to give her kids milk with meals and apple juice all other times. Her kids are now grown and have terrible teeth.

• Adella Bedella
    15 years ago

After re-reading this thread and the discussion of the diva cup, I had to go look what up what women used to use for femine hygiene. Here is a link to Hillbilly Housewife. If anyone is easily offended, please scroll on by.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hillbilly Housewife - Femine Hygiene

• ronbre
    15 years ago

speaking of orange juice, there is a new disease among the orchards and lots of experts are telling us to buy it ahead, frozen and stockpile as there is likely to be a shortage soon if not this year than next..

today in our grocery ad they had it on sale $1 a container and my husband said we should get enough for a couple years as we don't drink a lot, and freeze it in the bottom compartment of the deep freeze

• ilene_in_neok
    15 years ago

(Sorry, guys)

Adella, I remember when I was young, my mom used rags. By the time we girls were old enough to need such things, we got to buy Kotex.

I looked at the Hillbilly Housewife site and I don't think that's any worse than wearing Kotex. The problem with products such as this that someone else makes for you is that sometimes they could stand to be wider or longer, thinner or thicker. For added safety, I'd cut a piece of plastic, such as from a bread wrapper or even buy a quarter of a yard of that clear plastic sheeting they have in the fabric stores on a roll. Our Walmart used to have it, until they phased out the fabric department.

I remember how nasty it was to wear a pad, and how often there were leaks and stains on the underwear because that was before "wings" were thought of. The darned thing would twist and bunch if you were the least little bit active and then that made lots of room for error, if you get my meaning. Also it was before the adhesive back so we had to wear that awful "Kotex belt". "shudder] In those days, had the Diva cup been invented (was it around in the early 1960's?) and had I known about it, I would've jumped at the chance to use that instead. I know my mom would've loved to not have to buy those Kotex.

I was SOOOO glad to go through menopause. There truly ARE some perks to getting old. Guys don't know how lucky they are to not have to put up with "Aunt Flo" coming to visit every month.

But really, I think the idea of buying cheap washcloths -- in red or brown -- and folding them in fourths or thirds long-ways is a good idea. They say cloth against cloth makes them stay in place. A piece of plastic could be inside the fold for extra protection. Lots of women use those panty liners every day, especially we older gals, because an unexpected sneeze or coughing spell sometimes can trigger a small "accident". Panty liners are expensive, too.

For those grossed out about such things as this that you have to wash, the alternative is that you place your disposables in your trash. I saw somebody's trash blowing along the road and there were some of those involved. Not to mention the fact that unless you're very careful about how you dispose of them, your garbage men know way more about you than you think they do. --Ilene

• blueberrier1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Such interesting comments.

When I spoke of diluting my pineapple juice, I mentioned that I considered it an indulgence or treat. I have NEVER bought Koolaid...science studies influence many of my purchasing decisions. Only in recent years has the influence of 'straight' fruit juices been implicated in stress to the pancreas. Past acceptable/realistic portions of so many foods have been 'supersized.' Diseases that had been relegated to the elderly are now found in teeagers. I never order any juice while traveling...I manage to buy fresh or dried fruit if I already ran out of my 'travel pack.' At home, DH and I have daily doses of home grown organic fruits, mainly berries, apricots, peaches and pears. Sometimes we buy citrus, apples, and bananas. Organic raisins and dates are also 'treats' that we enjoy with oatmeal or homemade baked goods.

Had a chuckle one time when a BIL said he recognized almost nothing in our fridge, except for ketchup and mustard! The homemade foods lacked the commercial colored containers...I took that as a complement.

• gonativegal
    15 years ago

The Hillbilly Housewife - great website, I've been following for three years - the original HHW had to give up due to family health issues. I love her emergency meal list for one week for $40 - 50 dollars for family of 4. Much of her advice reminds me of Grainlady's - thank you grainlady for all your frugal tips.

Ilene - thank you for the kind words regarding the inlaws.

• jannie
    15 years ago

When my DH and siblings were little, their mother mixed water and orange juice half-and-half and called it "Orange Drink." He still makes it and drinks it in the summer. He's 62 and his Mom has been gone for three years.

• keepitlow
    15 years ago

Some thing's I extend.

Soy sauce - 50% or more dilution with water. Tastes OK but started to do it to reduce the astronomical salt content.

Pancakes - WW pancake mix is very high priced. I dilute Aunt Jemima with 40% WW flour and a little corn meal and rye flour. The leavening in the Aunt Jemima is enough as is to work with the plain flour.

Again started to do it for sodium cut back, but great to add whole grains to it as well. I use an egg and part milk in the batter. Or can use just water, but like egg better. do not use oil, but probably would be better with oil.

Maple syrup - use 10% water in it

Grape juice - add 40% water for a lighter drink with less calories.

OJ - fresh squeezed I add 15% to 20% water and a table spoon of sugar if the oranges are tart

Hand dish liquid soap -- I dilute 50% with water and it is still thick. I use it on sponges more than in sinks, so have not tested it except for sponge washing use.

• keepitlow
    15 years ago

I only wear white socks. Tall socks in winter. short in summer. Matching is no big deal. If they get holes in them I use them for night socks in bed.

• ilene_in_neok
    15 years ago

Keepitlow - have you ever tried making your own pancake mix? It's a lot cheaper than buying it ready made. I've linked some recipes you might like to try.

I cringe when I see young mothers buying that pancake mix that comes in a jug. You 'just add water and shake'. What an over-priced gimmick.

Here is a link that might be useful: Allrecipes pancake mixes

• jeepin
    15 years ago

Pancakes.
    3 TB butter, melted
    1 c milk, warmed
    1 egg, beaten
    1 tsp baking soda
    1/4 tsp. salt
    3/4 cup of flour, or more, if you want thicker pancakes.

Add the butter to the milk. Add slowly to the beaten egg, then mix them together. Mix the dry ingredients together; add slowly to the wet mix. I use a whisk and I get rid of all the bumps. Add more flour if you like thicker pancakes.

Drop onto a griddle that has been heated to 400*.

• mamato3
    15 years ago

Just wanted to toss in a note here. Not everyone uses family cloth or diva cups for frugality, I started because it's better for the environment. I am a bit over the top, but dh loves me just the same. When my kids were in cloth diapers (yes, recently, not even a year ago!) I used family cloth. Without having to wash poopy diapers, I now only use cloth wipes for pee, so there's no worry about stinky rags. I then started onto "mama cloth" like on hillybillyhousewifes site. Once I found the diva cup though, I was in love. I spent my $20 on one, and am covered for the next 10 years.

There's nothing unsanitary about family cloth, or diva cups. It's a gazillion times better for our environment and sewage systems, not to mention landfills for those who throw away pads. You toss them in the wash no big deal. I already wash kids clothes that have poopy accidents, or pee on them, so whats the difference?

As to the peerson who alluded to carrying around a dirty diva cup- yuck. Why would you do that? You only need one, so why would you need it in your purse?

Although I never convinced hubby to go for the family cloth, it was much cheaper using cloth wipes for me and the kids than now with small ones going through an entire roll of toliet paper in a single day. I'm about to convert my kids back to using family cloth for the sheer expense. And we just had a new baby, and are about to go back to cloth diapers anyways.

• ilene_in_neok
    15 years ago

I Googled 'family cloth' and found this article. I had not heard the term before. It's misleading because it makes it sound like all members of the family use the same cloth, but that's not the case. The link is at the bottom of this e-mail.

I can see how this could be a good thing. As long as the cloths didn't get accidentally flushed (old habits are hard to break when it comes to kids). It certainly wouldn't be as bad as a diaper pail full of soiled diapers, because the amount of pee on each cloth would be small.

I might try this one of these days. I certainly thought my mother was over the top when she started doing it, years ago, but the more we all talk about it, the less yucky it seems. Of course she'd had experience with it before, I'm sure, because she was born in 1911 and if they even had toilet tissue then, I don't imagine her family would've spent their money on it, especially during the Depression.

Here is a link that might be useful: Family Cloth article

• jannie
    15 years ago

When my kids wer infants, I didn't like those chemically scented baby wipes. Both my kids had bad diaper rash. One even required a prescription cream to cure her rashy bottom. So I bought a yard of terry bloth, ripped (not cut, ripped) it into 6 inch squares . Stacked up the squares near the changing table, dipped them in warm water and used them as baby wipes. The dirty wipes then went in laundry. I didn't use cloth diaspers, but they would have gone in that wash. I recycled the terry wipes many times. By the time the second baby was out of diapers, I just tpossed the terrycloth in my trash.

• scarlett2001
    15 years ago

I believe the Diva thing was marketed back in the 70's as the Tassaway cup. Didn't work for me - one size does not fit all, ya know?

• roxanne777
    15 years ago

The Diva cup has been around for a number of years.I haven't ever tried it myself and am now at an age that my cycle is very light and sporadic,so I don't see it in my future.If I had known about when I was younger,I'd have tried it.
    As far as the 'Family Cloth'......Why not use cloth for urination? Do you know how much tp one person could keep from going down the drain a year? To be honest,I have used washclothes in the past and am planning to cut up some old t-shirts to start using,for urination.I hope to not have to use it for the other.Not only is it frugal,it's the 'green' thing to do.
    I have also worn mismatched socks around the house and 'to town'My friends think I'm out there anyway.LOL!
    I discovered wool socks this fall when I bought six pairat a thrift store for .50 a pair.Wish I had bought more.I love them and I hope to find more at that price.
    I am currently unemployeed and due to health reasons,I have no idea when I'll be able to work again,if ever.I am constantly looking for ways to save as there is no income.
    I can honestly say,that I am proud to be frugal and there's not much I'm not willing to try.My frugalness is whats enabled me to make it this far.I only wish I had been more frugal in the past,so I'd have more money now.I suggest to everyone,be frugal and save as much as you can because you never know whats coming next.
    What's the saying...."Use it up,make do,wear it out or do without"

• jeepin
    15 years ago

Roxanne, do you know how to knit? You can pick up wool on the cheap at thrift stores (and even at the knitting shops!) and make your own wool socks. I do this for our family. They do last. And I don't mind mending them if they DO wear down. Let me know if you want some patterns and I'll hook you up.

• roxanne777
    15 years ago

I haven't learned to knit yet,but I'd like to.I think I'll ask around in church and see if someone would be willing to teach me.That would be so great to make my own socks and maybe even a sweater some day.A girl can dream can't she ? lLOL :)
    Jeepin....Thanks for the offer.

• ilene_in_neok
    15 years ago

Roxanne, you are so right that 'stuff happens' and we all need to be prepared for the worst and hoping for the best.

Somebody in our area held a seminar on how to interview job seekers. After that, during every interview I was granted, somebody who couldn't come up with anything better would ask me what my five-year plan was. I could never understand what I was expected to say in response. "I plan to have your job"? No, that wouldn't be right.... "I plan to use this job as a springboard for a better job somewhere else"? No, that wouldn't work.... "If you hire me, I plan to still be plodding along in the same job I'm interviewing for today"? That doesn't sound right either. Has anyone ever given what they thought was a satisfactory answer to this question, or have they seen the pointlessness to asking this question in other parts of the country? The last time I was asked, I just flat ran out of patience. I'm sure what I said lost me all chances at the job, but it worked out OK because someone I knew got that job and was unhappy in it in pretty short order.

Does anyone, other than someone who works for themselves, really have a five year plan? When you go to work for someone, you are at the mercy of THEIR plan. If you try to develop your own plan they begin to see you as someone who can't stay within their boundaries, and eventually you find yourself unemployed. Nobody knows what's going to happen in five years. Nobody who becomes disabled expected that to happen five years previously. Most people who get a divorce or are widowed expected it five years ago. Many people who get married or have a child were not really planning to do so five years before. And so on.

People who tend to spend all their money as soon as they get it say, "You can't take it with you". That may be so, but for every person who has died before they used up all their money there's probably hundreds who found themselves in the opposite predicament. There's nothing more depressing than being old, sick AND poor. Being frugal is a choice I made because I like my security. I know people who have NO savings, they borrow for everything. If they lose their capacity to earn money, they are poor overnight, without food in a couple of weeks, and homeless within a couple of months.

Frugality is a chosen way of life. It's an intelligent choice. During 'good times' other people belittle people who are frugal, as if it's a form of selfishness. When in reality, frugal people use less of our planet's resources and make the most of everything they have. Wasting resources is self-indulgent. Throwing money around like there's no tomorrow is poor planning.

• budster
    15 years ago

Ask if someone at church could teach you to knit. We tend to forget that there are some skills others would love to share their talent in....be it canning fruit, making jam, bread, learning to sew, do minor home repair, exchanging services so people help each other is another way to go.

• jondoe888
    15 years ago

We fill a 5G bucket up while the shower water warms up. Learned this at a Santa Fe B+B, where the water was then used on the plants. We live on a lake and get free irrigation water, but I use the water to flush the toilet.
    Doesn't save much money, but I like to think it helps in drought-stricken Atlanta.
    Cheap or frugal? I don't know - tho I'm sure my wife does! When I work out of town and live in a hotel for a month or so, I'm the same way with water and lights as I am at home.
    So maybe the question is cheap, frugal or insane???