Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to Retire 35 Years Early

Posted by jrb451 (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 20, 14 at 14:38

Wall Street Journal's Market Watch did a feature on Mr. Money Mustache, a man that retired when 30. It polarized and sparked some interesting comments from readers. He still works some but only on his terms.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/how-to-retire-early-35-years-early-2014-01-17

He gets into more detail on his blog here http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/

I guess the main take away for me was you can pare your costs significantly once you differentiate between your "needs" and your "wants".

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to Retire 35 Years Early

I read some of this but think common sense...from a VERY young age is the difference maker! Start setting goals even before you go to work and live smart. YES, differentiating between your wants and needs is vital! And then making smart financial decisions, like saving, investing, taking out a 15 year mortgage as opposed to a 30 year, paying HUGE attention to your credit score and paying cash for everything that you possibly can. Life is definitely not getting any easier...the cost of living continues to rise and the temptation for non-stop spending can be hard to ignore. We are bombarded with WHY we need WHAT! I told my daughter once to curb her impulse buying...don't just put it in the cart. Walk around the store and distract yourself...if at the end of your shopping trip this is a must-have, then get it...otherwise you don't need it. It works even better if you can leave the store and plan to go back the next day. Makes you think before spending. You can apply this to a great many financial challenges!

And no....I'm not young nor ready to retire...because I did all of this wrong. This is advice I've learned, too late in life to capitalize on it, but before I'm forced to live on a fixed income. :) Good luck to all!

o

On "Canadian MoneySaver" magazine there's a frequent contributor who retired at 34 or 35 ... wrote a book on "How to Stop Working".

I don't know whether you might be able to catch some of his articles if you go to www.canadianmoneysaver.ca and search for "derek foster".

The mag isn't slick and glitzy, carries no ads, is mainly articles and at the end of many of them there's a contact message: if one writes a message that's not somewhat frivolous, often the writers will reply.

Entirely subscriber-driven, they asked what the subscribers wanted and have put on seminars with the authours in a number of locations, plus in about 45 locations in Canada there are regular meetings of the local subscribers: I've attended the one in London monthly for something over ten years.

ole joyful ... who retired at about double that age: 67 or so - 17 years ago

o

About 15 members at the investment meeting last night (another similar meeting conflicted some) and when I announced that I had only about 4 hours left to enjoy being 84 ... they didn't even sing " Happy birthday ... ".

A friend asked a while ago whether my employer-related pension had some indexing, and I said that in about the most recent ten years, usually there's been some increase, usually from about a quarter of one per cent to, occasionally, something like three per cent.

Also some minor increases in the government-provided ones, the non-contributory one (there's length of residence requirement) and the required contributory one that started in 1966.

Being somewhat frugal, by choice rather than necessity, I live within my pensions ... the investment is more or less "play money" ... until I may need it for medical-related treatments above those covered by our single-payer universal health care service.

Some say that it's "free" ... but, as you all know, health care isn't "free" wherever one receives it: there are insurance fees, taxes, or whatever to pay the costs.

Or I may well need to enter a residential or nursing facility as I become more infirm.

Thankful that I have quite good health, now ... apart from not being able to remember stuff.

Hope you all have a great year.

ole joyful

o

Happy Birthday joyful!

o

Thanks, jrb451.

When I first invited son and his partner to pizza and movie night at church (he's an atheist, of the rather militant variety), when he asked what the movie would be, I told him that they had three, and when everyone signed in (paying their $5.00), they got to pick their favourite ... and he rather bridled at not knowing ahead what he'd be seeing.

We had another last Saturday and he came (his second visit) and afterwards he, his partner and her mom, sat around a table and talked until they started turning out the lights. The movie was "I Walk the Line", about Johnny Cash.

ole joyfuelled ... with a bit o' help from pizza (plus salad and ice cream), that night

o

Hey, Ole Joyful! Belated Happy Birthday! Sorry I missed it.

I think retiring early only works if you have things you want to do and the health to do them. I have depression if I stay home too much, so I've been working 20 hours/week for a former (wonderful) boss. It gets me out of the house and feeling like I am contributing something, but also gives me Mondays and Fridays to socialize or schedule appointments. So far, it is working. (My husband can't retire until 2020 if he wants a decent pension.)

o

I am figuring out how to work 32 hours per week now that I'm in my late 50s and have an elderly mother to help out. I have a husband with income too fortunately. I have to work at least that to get my health insurance paid for. I then pay for his out of pre tax dollars.
I am now working 36 hr and hope to go down to 32 this summer. I am also lucky that we have a business I can do some extra work in (for a higher hourly rate than my job) if I really need extra money. But yes, I will need to be very frugal to even pull that off. Especially since I pay for Mom's cell phone and her garbage removal and may need to do more as time passes.
Good luck all. I'm going to check out those articles.
Kathy

o

Hi colorcrazy,

What is it about "freedom" that you find disconcerting?

Quite a few folks, having been retired for a while, say that they couldn't go to work - that they couldn't find the time to fit it into their busy schedule.

It's a big, old world out there - filled with a great variety of interesting things and projects, just waiting for you to get involved, along with lots of others.

ole joyful

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here