SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joyfulguy

Corpoorate Savings Ploy ... that Burns Customers' Tails!

joyfulguy
18 years ago

Our national broadcaster has a phone-in program covering our (large) province, using a large number of repeater stations, 5 days weekly for an hour, sometimes more, around noon.

Some time ago the host asked how we reacted when we phoned a company and got one of those reorded messages offering us a number of options (which usually weren't relevant to our concern).

I said that, when I was feeling mischievous (actually, quite a bit of the time), I'd note when the phone was answered and how long that it took me to get to talk to a warm body.

Then I'd say that their company was saving money by having phones answered by a machine instead of a person who could deal directly with my request, the machine offering me a number of options which didn't interest me.

And that they had just wasted, say a minute and 40 seconds of my time, while saving money for their corporation.

So - I proposed to talk nonsense to that perspon for a simimlar amount of time, then get down to business.

Several have said that they are busy and don't have time for such nonsense.

So - it's O.K. for their company to waste my time - but they don't like me wasting theirs?

Too darn bad!, say I.

I say that if their time is too precious for me to waste it, I want to talk to their supervisor.

No one has hung up on me - when the first one does, you can bet I'll be calling back and giving whomever I can contact, as high in the organization as I can reach, a piece of my mind.

(Not too big a piece - don't have all that much to spare!).

The host of the show said, "Oh, I love that - I'm going to try that myself!".

Have a happy weekend, everyone.

ole joyful

Comments (20)