SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
purpleinopp

How much are you spending on heat?

Since we decided to not run the central heat pump and just use 3 radiant electric heaters, we are spending a LOT less. The bill for last month was only $80 more than the previous month when nothing was running (heat or cool.) One of the heaters is turned off & door closed during the daytime M-F. I leave a ceiling fan on in a central room all the time, on low, to keep air gently moving throughout the house all the time (except that one room while the door's closed.)

Heating with the heat pump is about twice that, and we always feel cold with wind blowing out of the vents. I also can't stand static in my hair, a problem we don't have currently.

Our change of spending about half has resulted in more comfort. The thermostat says it's about 66 degrees in here most of the time, but we are more comfortable than when we set the heat pump on 72-73.

For comparison to other climates, the gap between inside/outside temp has held steady at an average of about 30 degrees for December at night, 5-15 during the daytime.

How do you deal with the heat? What's the gap? How much does it cost?

Comments (18)