Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bar soap into liquid pump soap

Posted by rob333 (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 2, 14 at 12:37

It hit me that someone had to be doing this, and I found several sites online that had a recipe. I don't seem to see this over here, just stick the small bar onto the bigger one for extending usage. The liquid soap truly stretches the number of uses.

If I can just get the consistency right! But here's one of the recipes/a link if it helps. If anyone is already doing this, can you give pointers on changing the consistency? I tried using oil, but I think I will go get some glycerin and see if that'll finally get me what I want. I'm close.

1 c soap flakes
10 c water
1 Tbs glycerin

Equipment:
Cheese grater
A large pot
Measuring cup and spoons
A spatula for stirring
A soap container with a hand pump
A container to hold excess soap
Funnel

Directions:

First, grate the soap. Get out your cheese grater, grab the soap, and get grating. I found this to be surprisingly easy, although the soap particles tend to float in the air as you grate. You can wear a mask to avoid breathing it in. When you’re done, the soap flakes look like grated Parmesan:

One bar of soap yielded a little over 1.5 cups of flakes. The recipe only uses one cup of soap flakes, so I put the remaining soap in a jar for later use.

In a large pot, combine 1 cup soap flakes, 10 cups water, and 1 Tbs glycerin. Turn on medium-low heat and stir until the soap dissolves. This happens fast, about a minute or two.

Let the soap cool completely, then pour into containers using a funnel. That’s all there is to

Here is a link that might be useful: saavyhousekeeping blog

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bar soap into liquid pump soap

I purchased a jug of liquid hand soap at walmart. I refill the dispensers with it. Since I use foaming dispensers, I fill about half with the Equate liquid and finish filling with water.

I live alone, but I think the jug is over a year old.

o

Do you add anything to the mixture? In what dispensers do you use it? Just for bathing/showering or for other things? I have made up one for just the handwashing dispensers, but then a totally different mix for showering. I wanted the one I use to shower to have loads of moisturizers. I didn't want the hand soap to have any, because I use that dispenser to clean my hands before cleaning and inserting my contacts. I don't want any oils on my hands for that.

I think the blogger said that the one bar of soap made six bottles of liquid, and that if you used a foaming dispenser, it goes even farther. I think most of us have bars of soap that we get as gifts or pieces/ends sitting around, so it works well for those types of things. Not just free, but six bottles (or more!) worth for the price of water and a small bottle of glycerin. Sounded worth passing along.

:)

o

Three decades ago when liquid soap for home use was "new", I would save bar soap slivers and small hotel soaps and make them into liquid hand soap. Now it's less expensive, and less mess, to purchase gallon jugs of liquid soap (Sam's Club and Big Lots are good sources). For foam dispensers I use a 1:3 mixture of liquid soap and water, so we use all foam dispensers for even more savings.

The recipe I used is very similar....

Homemade Hand Soap
11 c. water
1 bar soap (or enough slivers to equal the same amount)
1 T. glycerin
optional - 10 drops essential oil
Grate soap on a box grater, microplane, or in a food processor. Bring 4 cups water to a boil. Add grated soap and stir to a boil. Add grated soap and stir until it melts. Add glycerin. Add remaining water. Once cooled, add essential oils. Let mixture sit overnight. Place 2-cups (at a time) in a blender. Mix well. If you want thicker add 2 more T. glycerin and allow to sit for a few hours.

To use in a foam pump dispenser, add 1/4 c. homemade liquid soap and water to fill the bottle.

You can add tea tree oil or grapefruit seed extract, or other essential oils like Four Thieves for additional anti-bacterial protection.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

HOMEMADE BODY WASH
1 c. Suave Shampoo ("flavor" of choice)
1/2 c. water
3 T. table salt or Epsom salts
Whisk until frothy.

-Grainlady

o

Cool! I was looking around because of gift soaps. I was amazed at how many I've accumulated. But you can use shampoo? I like that tip. Actually, I think that's exactly where my hand soap thing came from. I had a blue million body washes my son had tried and a bottle of "aloe milk", and they wouldn't mix, but heating it on the stove and adding water has that one fairly homogenous and usable now.

So you use oil AND glycerin? Ok, so that is my trouble. I need glycerin. I will surely get that. Thanks!

o

Thank you! It totally worked. You shoulda seen the look on the boy's (my son) face when I proudly displayed my two FINALLY diluted soaps in the correct form. Homogenous even. Way cool. He said, this is just like liquid soap. I said it is liquid soap, silly!

o

Great options!

I turn body bars into liquid soap. Grate the bodybars and put it in liquid pump bottle, add an equal amount of water and viola....i got savvy liquid soap.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here