SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alisande_gw

Frugal food makes me fat!

alisande
20 years ago

This isn't a money-saving tip; it's a request for some. When my children were growing up we ate a lot of what I call "ethnic peasant food"...delicious, economical international meals that were often based on rice and legumes. I did all my own baking, and since we had our own tofu business I had an unlimited supply of the freshest product. We also had a huge vegetable garden and orchard. We ate very well, and spent relatively little on food.

But at some point I discovered that while my DH and kids thrived on this high-complex-carb diet, it put weight on me. Worse, it raised my triglycerides to dangerous levels. I also have to keep my saturated fat intake as low as possible. So now that I'm living by myself with my income considerably reduced I need to eat good quality lean proteins, soy "dairy" products, vegetables, and fruits. I buy chicken and fish only when they're on sale. I get the cheapest canned fruits (the "irregular pieces" are more interesting than those pricey uniform slices, BTW). I get canned tomatoes, grapeseed oil, spices, and herb teas at Big Lots. I cook the occasional turkey and freeze meals from it. Any other ideas?

Thanks!

Susan

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz