SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joyfulguy

Savings achieved in daily household routine

joyfulguy
21 years ago

When I plan to open a can of frozen juice tomorrow, I pull it out of the freezer today and put it into the fridge, so it can help cool the refrig as it thaws.

I don't spend much time in the kitchen and am usually moving around and working when there, so I keep it cool.

Desk in bedroom, keep it somewhat cool.

Computer room cool - have summer underwear, winter underwear, shirt/pants, sweater and light jacket over that, with overcoat over knees. Hand on mouse gets cold, so sit on it occasionally. Welder's hat (skull cap, no peak) on head, which is rather scarce of hair on top. They say that a major portion of our body heat loss is from our head.

Electric baseboard heating, so can alter heat levels room to room, but downstairs rooms interconnected.

Bathroom WARM - don't like sitting on cold seat. Civilized men sit down to pee - and when one gets old one needs to pee more frequently.

Plan to set up system to save cold water coming out of tap before warm arrives, to use to flush toilet - though landlord pays water bill, so no more money in my pocket. Shouldn't waste, though.

Save paper used on one side for scratch paper, figuring, planning, etc.

Got a good buy on ball of green yarn, friends (shoes-off house) kid me about green darning on gray, black, etc. socks.

Son cuts my hair - though haven't had haircut since fall, as it gets cold here in Ontario. Not as long as female's hair, yet.

Keep lights turned off - having lived here 14 years, can walk around in dark, put hand within 6" or less of light switch.

Bad habit - use light at night, sometimes sleep a substantial portion of day.

Could arrange desk, computer, so would take better advantage of daylight, as often use (compact fluorescent) light in day. But must arrange computer monitor with care, or have window reflection putting glare on screen and washing out image.

Built several trays of cardboard to hold dozens of computer floppies.

Must spring for updated computer soon (this one has only half a gig of memory). Probably some good buys after Christmas, from people selling their old one after getting an upgrade for Christmas.

Pick up scrap aluminum pop cans - takes about 30 to make a pound, for which scrap dealer (10 miles away across town) gives me 50 cents. Have quite a number on hand now, but only go there when doing another errand nearby. Fortunately, they are near several auto wreckers, whom I visit occasionally.

Save pop can tabs for friend in Legion (veterans' group) who use them to buy chairs for handicapped people.

What money-saving ideas are part of your routine?

Good wishes to all.

joyful guy/Ed

Comments (83)

• Terrapots
    19 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Interesting about wool socks. Even here in California I learned that natural fabrics are better. We go to "Candlestick" Park for games and at night the wind drives even hardy folks home. I find I don't have to bundle up that much as long as I have a wool sweater, wool coat and wool slacks, comfortable in most weather outdoors. It's hard to find wool socks here but I will keep an eye out for them. Wool sweaters are priced way out of sight, same price as coats, but I found a thrift shop in SF that carries exceptional items and found a nice fluffy wool sweater that keeps me nice and toasty.

I was going to mention my most recent savings. My new can of laundry spray starch was just spitting instead of spraying. Since Costco is 20 minutes away one way, it wasn't worth the time. I remembered my mother making starch out of corn starch, and then dipped clothes in this mix before drying. I made a batch of it using a tablespoon in a couple of cups of water, boiled until clear, then thinned it further. Put it in a spray bottle and, walla! I finished my shirts in the time it would have taken me to return can to store. I will take it with me when I make a regular trip. I think I'll add a couple of drops of grapefruit seed extract to keep any bacteria in check. There was a little buildup on the bottom of iron. I remember mom buying some blue parafin-like additive to starch that made ironing easier. I wonder if they still make that?

I keep my thermostat at 68 in winter and 78 in summer with lower and higher settings at night and my gas and electricity bill has really stayed low. The heat or AC does not run all day to make home comfortable. My friend has 1/3 smaller house and turns hers off and just turns them on when it's too extreme and her bills are higher than mine. It's hard to believe, since we also run a swimming pool pump at least 12 hours during the summer. Once the insulation gets too warm or too cold it takes a lot of energy to bring the house up to a comfortable level. We bought a new refrigerator in the summer one year and it took 72 hours before it stopped running. I had called the store the second day and they told me the insulation had to cool down first (which I didn't believe). Also, my AC tech went around and opened all our vents in our unused rooms. He said that forced the unit to work harder against the resistance and would use more energy, plus the too hot or too cold rooms also contributed to the problem and caused more energy use, like having a window open. It's amazing, we are comfortable year round and we are spending less money.

• budster
    19 years ago

I'm learning to repair minor problems on my own ... by watching when DH fixes things that are broken. I maynot be a major repairperson but in the last two months fixed the microwave twice as well as DD's CD player. I stress the problems were not major but I am proud to say I didn't have to wait until DH is home to fix things.

• Related Discussions

daily support - march 24 thru march 30

Q

Comments (61)
    Hi Everyone! I'm glad to report I stuck to my plan last night - only had one light beer and one fake beer and 2 med slices of pizza. Drank a huge glass of water too. Ending this week I'm still ahead having 20 bonus point left for the week. I've almost recovered on the scales from last weekend - tomorrow is my weigh day. Planning ahead is worth it. No, I did not get all of the snow moved. I can now see out 1/2 the window. With the temps warming this week, I will be throwing more snow on the drive to melt and will continue to do so until I can get through my patio gate to the back door and clear the front window snow bank. I can only do so much and have to wait for the snow to melt before I can toss some more. It's good exercise and fresh air - so I don't mind. Waiting for my swimsuits to arrive in the post (ebay) - going to start playing in the pool at the nearby sports center. Planning on walking there one way and probably busing back now that the sidewalks have been clear. Any water activity really has helped me in the past tone up and get rid of flab. It's also a treat for me. Dodi, I've only been through your area once on our holiday driving down to Boston area - beautiful is an understatement! I can understand why you drive to town to do your walking! Raeanne what were you working on? I'm going to check out August Rush on the internet. We watch movies at home so I may have to wait. Where is Lake George? Besh do you have any other children? They grow up so fast. Marci what is on the agenda for next week - any time for yourself in there? Milkdud would you please send some of your heat my way? I wanna garden so bad it's driving me nuts. I can smell the snow melting. Yes, it has a particular smell. How is Aubrey today? Hey John it's great to have a man's perspective on all of this journey. What do you do to relax after work? NhSuzanne - what neck of the woods are you in to have as much snow? Let's go visit Milkdud! DeeMarie - what type of work do you do? Are you still feeling refreshed from your holiday? I loved working on projects in my career - I'm an administrative junkie at heart. Patti congrats on your weight loss too - trying to find your post on it but I keep getting lost! Can you update me please! After rereading the posts - I think my crock pot is getting hauled out today. I can't believe I see so many of them in charity shops all the time. There was a smaller one available last week and a bunch of tall mason jars which I'm thinking of returning on Monday to pick up. I have a craving for lima beans and crock pots do them justice. QOD: What was your first childhood toy that you claimed as your 'buddy? Mine was a stuffed, butt ugly monkey. I traded a toy tractor with my foster brother for it. We were moving from Ontario to Manitoba. My foster brother needed special care that was not available in the military camp we moved to. It broke our hearts to part with Brian. I was so creative I called him Monkey. Monkey had many surgeries in his life, many baths and finally disintegrated in my late 20's to the point of no return - may Monkey rest in peace. Let's make today count! It's sunny -3' and going to a balmy +2'C (34'F). Might have to do some snow tossing! Cheers, Peggy
    ...See More

Cleaning routines...anyone?

Q

Comments (23)
    My cleaning "profile" is probably closest to Ginger's. This is definitely a YMMV situation--for me, cleaning a bit every day just doesn't work. I really need the satisfaction of looking around, at least once weekly :), at a clean, shining tidy house. I have learned though that the little daily cleaning routines help greatly for liveability. So our daily routines are: Morning and evening quick tidy results: All dishes washed, left in drainer, sink and countertops clear (husband does most, I wash anything random left over) Bathrooms wiped down, all grooming stuff put away (I do during 5-minute tidy before leaving work and before going to bed) Public areas of house tidy-no clutter lying around (Me during tidy times)* *Kids responsible for gathering and putting away their things, though I have to remind them, they don't do it automatically Trash in kitchen emptied daily, after dinner. My son does it. On a weekly basis I prefer, when I'm doing my own housecleaning as I am now, to use a block of time to try to get as much as possible done. I divide into "wet work" ie bathrooms and kitchen and "dry chores" ie tidying, dusting, mopping, vacuuming, changing linens etc. So I use my caddy and do both bathrooms: Scrub bathtub, including bleach misting any visible mildew in the bathtub tiled area. Wipe down top of shelves Clean toilet with comet/brush followed by bleach mist Clean sink with Soft Scrub, followed by Windex wipe. , Windex is incredible for leaving a fantastic shine/sparkle on tile, chrome, glass etc in the bathroom. I Windex the soap dispensers, tile top of windowsill etc. Ammonia/water mop floor Change trash bag in wastebasket Take out bath rug, exchange for clean one (bath mats are washed weekly) Kitchen: Wipe down all countertops with Soft Scrub, followed by Windex (tile counters) Take apart plastic dish drainer, bleach clean Clean stove including drip pans, wipe surface with, yep, Windex Clean microwave Sweep and mop floor General: Dust furniture Sweep and dust mop wood floors Sweep and mop tile family room floor Vacuum carpeted areas (area rugs in DR and hallway, wall to wall carpet in bedrooms) Change bed linens Straighten up office desk area Sweep front entry way (outside front door-small tiled area) Sweep back patio Periodically: Wash entry way mats (every couple of weeks) Polish brass mailbox VERY periodically :): Clean windows with Windex--spring cleaning chore is to enlist kids' help and wash all exterior windows. Oye, what a job. CLean refrigerator-hate this and don't do it regularly Wipe down walls where I can see visible smudges and stains. I've never been one to 'wash' my walls; can't actually see the point of that. Wipe down doors as above-periodically I repaint my french doors that lead to backyard as they get grungy with stains and bug juice. Pressure clean patio-son loves to do this. Teenage boys and hi power jets of water, what a combination! There are other tasks but as noted, I'm not real good at the in depth old fashioned spring cleaning type things. Ann
    ...See More

Let's Talk Organization & Routines

Q

Comments (14)
    Online banking is just a wonderful service. No stamps, no worry about checks lost in the mail, you can set up "recurring" payments that you want to pay the same every month or do One Time Only checks. You have an easy to access record of all paid checks. Believe me, I've had a few disputes settled by printing out my paid checks.As far as household organizing, a good idea is Do It Now. If you see dirt on your kitchen floor, clean it now. don't wait and let people and pets track through it. A "Flylady" approach helps. Keep your sink clear of dishes, do laundry daily, think of your house having a "center" (your kitchen sink) and clean from there outwards. I read Flyladys website, even bought her book. I don't agree with everything (like wearing lace-up shoes) so I use what I like and ignore the rest.
    ...See More

What's your laundry routine?

Q

Comments (44)
    blfenton -- IMO people use too much soap, and it gets left in the wash. Softeners just add more goop. The white vinegar gets any remaining soap out. I put 1/4 cup Tide Free in the soap dispenser of my front load and 1/4 cup white vinegar in the 'softener' dispenser. Liquid detergents and 'softeners' have the liquifiers and preservatives common to all liquid soaps and lotions. (Without these, the contents would grow mold and solidify.) These additives can build up in the washer. I don't want to spread goopy 'softener' onto my freshly washed laundry, and I do want to get all the soap out. I think I learned to tear the dryer sheets in half from the KT! I also leave my front load washer's door and dispenser slots open a bit to dry out between uses. You can test for residual soap. Next time you have a load of towels, don't put any soap in the wash water. If you see suds once the agitator starts, that's soap coming out of the towels. A soap-free towel feels soft out of the dryer. One with soap left in it feels stiff, and it won't absorb water well when you dry with it. I do darks last because I pretreat stains with Oxi-Clean. That can be working while I run sheets, then whites. We re-use bathroom towels. We're *clean* when we dry off, and towels dry completely on towel rods in the bathroom. (Two of our rods are directly over floor heat registers. I'd take credit for planning that, but it was just luck.) We do change wash cloths, but dry them before adding them to the laundry basket. If you dump used towels and wash cloths into a hamper, don't they get smelly? I've never washed *every day*, even when DS was living at home. Doing laundry today is such a big *nothing*! I grew up helping my mother with a small capacity wringer washer in a dark basement. We pinned up wash on clotheslines -- in the basement in rainy weather and out in the back yard on a whirligig in good weather. I carried many a load of heavy, wet wash up the basement stairs. (We did have a laundry chute with openings in the kitchen and upstairs bedroom hallway.) "Pre-treating" in those days was scrubbing with Fels-Naptha bar soap on a washboard while your feet froze on the cold, wet basement floor. There was also bluing and starch water -- and tons of ironing. My mother had a mangle for sheets, but there was still plenty of stand up ironing before the easy-care fabrics of today.
    ...See More
  • spewey
    19 years ago

Civilized men sit down to pee...

Well, I am an uncultured cretin then. In fact, I save money on the water bill by taking a "country spit" off the deck whenever DW isn't looking.

• joyfulguy
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hi spewey (and it may be helpful to others, as well),

Try to remember not to pee upwind.

ole joyful

• joyfulguy
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Greetings again, all,

Learning how money works is an interesting hobby - that pays well.

By the way - my Grandma used to say that a penny saved is a penny earned.

But - she was wrong. It's even better than that.

If you save a dollar by learning how to save a dollar, without cramping your lifestyle (well, not too much, anyway), it's better than earning another dollar.

If you are in the 25% income tax bracket, saving a dollar (unless it's a tax-deductible dollar) is as good as earning an extra $1.33333 (before tax).

Which will leave you with a dollar in your pocket after the tax is paid.

Good wishes for making each of your dollars serve you (and those in need, such as a few of the millions of refugees) well.

ole joyful

• sus905
    19 years ago

Thanks for the info on composting under the sink. Mom used to have a bucket by her sink, and it smelled and was something I didn't want. Now UNDER the sink with the shredded paper on the bottom, peat moss on top for the smell, and a cover on...now that I can do! I thank you and so does my garden!

• joyfulguy
    Original Author
    19 years ago

This is not a hint for saving money, but ...

... a number of my friends have a shoes-off home. Remove shoes at the door. Saves a lot of cleaning effort (including buying fewer brooms, vacuums, etc.).

That's especially wise for farmers who keep animals, as they wear rubber boots a lot - with reason. Not a good idea to track up the house.

That wasn't a new thing to me, as I learned that in (South) Korea 50 years ago - where they have oiled paper over earth floors. Not compatible with shoes.

Good wishes for a glorious autumn for everyone.

ole joyful

• joyfulguy
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Anyone with some new (i.e. additional) ideas to offer?

ole joyful

• quiltglo
    18 years ago

OK, I read this last year and investigated the wool socks. What a difference! You would think with me living in Alaska I would have tried them before. Man, I wish I had know about them when I lived in Kansas. It gets cold in Kansas.

By far, household organization, keeps the costs down and my sanity in place. My biggest savings area is groceries. When I make menu plans for two weeks and only need to stop for bread, milk, and fruit I spend a reasonable amount. When I don't do this, my spending can easily triple.

We tend to pay for services that we feel are a good value. I'm not going to save money and try and change the oil. The DH is a CPA and would rather work the hour it takes and pay someone else than spend his time that way. We are pretty much the same for many household repairs. We would rather hire someone who knows what they are doing, can do it quicker, not have to make the investment in tools or learning to do the job. Even after paying taxes, he's money ahead doing something he enjoys rather than spending time doing something he doesn't enjoy.

We fully utilize the cafeteria plan where I work for daycare and medical expenses. I keep track of ALL non-cash donations and we have taken from $2,000-4,000 in deductions each year with just our normal donations. The tax break on that is a pretty good rate of pay considering I only spend 3-4 hours a year keeping the lists.

That said, we keep the big picture in mind. Debt free except the house payment and that will be gone in 7-8 years. We always pay extra on the principal. Less interest paid is a big savings and I still believe that having a paid in full home to be a smart move.

We stick with a "less is more" philosophy and try not to waste. We compost. I never buy yard chemicals. I start most plants from seed and we end up with tons compared to what we could purchase for the seed starting money.

We teach the kids that eating out or going to a movie is a treat, not a weekly occurance. We don't believe they need to belong to every activity, especially really expensive ones like ice hockey. I would rather they learn to ski, which is not so expensive where I live.

Most items like laundry detergent, shampoo, etc. we can actually use much less of and get the same results. The manufacturer wants us to think we needs to use tons. I clean simply with vinegar and water. Simple Green for greasier jobs, but not needing much in the way of cleaners makes like simpler.

Sorry joyful, I hate a shoes off household. My feet are always cold. Brooms aren't that expensive and they last forever.

Now that I can look at garden pics on the Internet, I buy very few garden magazines. I try not to pinch pennies, though. Used jeans for my boys is no savings. They blow the knees out in a week. On the other hand, I can keep my daughter well dressed from the thrift shops. I spend the money where I need to and save it in the other places.

This may be at odds with this direct post, but we do not shop "cheap." I could buy plants at Home Depot or Wal-Mart, but I am going to support the local small business and buy local. I get a better product, with better knowledge and don't help perpetuate a cycle I'm not thrilled with. In the long run, I feel like I benefit with a stong local economy not overrun with big box stores.

Pennies invested in other people can be a good investment.

Gloria

• joyfulguy
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi quiltglo,

Thanks for your suggestions. I, too, like the idea of buying from locally owned stores, when possible - the big boxes all seem to look the same.

And I agree that it's a good idea to invest in others.

No need to express regret to me for not following one of my suggestions - it's your home, you can do in it what you please. As long as the other inhabitants agree.

I tend to walk around in socks or barefoot in the house in summer, but slippers in winter, occasionally shoes, but getting some of them out of overshoes is a pain, so I just leave them in and remove feet. Removing feet from boots is really easy.

I live on a farm with concrete right at the back door, a small amount of (more or less) grass, and a gravel drive. So in fine weather in summer I may wear shoes into the house, but after a rain, etc. usually remove them before entry.

Rubber boots to go to the barn to feed cats, usually, but sometimes shoes, now that the cattle are gone and their residue dried up.

I hope that you and yours are having an enjoyable summer.

ole joyful

• joyfulguy
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Good idea to always keep your eyes open.

This spring I pulled some lamb's quarters, a weed that, like dandelion leaves, makes good greens - tasty, too.

Some people collect danelion flowers and make wine of it.

Yesterday while walking near the house, I found a puffball in the grass near it - as I spoke about in a new thread, this afternoon.

Ate some myself, gave some to my landlord and shared with a couple of friends plus my son and daughter.

Moral of the story - keep your eyes open: never know what unexpected and useful thing may turn up unexpectedly.

And learn stuff - many weeds are good for food.

Hope you're having a delightful week.

ole joyful

• joyfulguy
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Confession time.

I'm a nighthawk, stay up late, then sleep in.

Seems sort of dumb, actually - have the lights on late at night, then lose the value of all that glorious sunshine providing cost-free light in the early morning.

I find that I'm using about 20 kw. daily, through the summer.

Only about a quarter of our electric bill is for energy used in my home.

Part is for line loss, some for delivery, some for administration, some for retirement of stranded debt because our former electric utility was deep in the hole, etc. Some may be " ... just because ... " - I'm not sure about that.

My bill has been running at just under $100./mo.

Hope you all have a glorious fall.

ole joyful

• joyfulguy
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Do you have a scrap metal dealer nearby?

Or do you occasionally run errands near one?

Saving pop cans is a good idea - it takes about 32 to make a pound, which pays about 55 cents in this area, I think - my figures may be a bit out of date.

Some time ago I accompanied my son to some fall fairs, ribfests and other celebrations. As I had not a lot to do, I carried garbage bags and collected pop cans from the garbage drums (if the organizers of the event were not separating out pop cans for recycling).

Some time ago a friend was clearing out an old garage prior to demolition and wanted scrap steel hauled to the scrap dealer.

I filled my full sized van pretty well full of used pop cans, only a few of which had been crushed (a free ride, as I was hauling his trailer to the scrap yard anyway).

Got $93.00+ for them.

Not too shabby.

ole joyful

• joyfulguy
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi all,

Today I was pouring laundry detergent from cardboard box into plastic bottle with about a one-inch neck. Doesn't cake as much, in basement.

Didn't have a funnel, so it was a bit of a job.

Thought that, had I had a 2-litre (just under 2 qt.) pop bottle, could have cut it around the middle to make a handy funnel.

Good wishes for an innovative weekend. Happy, too.

ole joyful

• joyfulguy
    Original Author
    18 years ago

This is not exactly a tip re saving, so I'm some off topic, I fear.

I've been using empty margarine containers to hold leftover stew, soup, veggies, potatoes, etc.

But some say that that kind of plastic is not intended for heating and may leach possibly unwanted chemicals into the food when reheated in that container in the microwave.

So I am considering getting a few more soup/porridge bowls at Value Village, GoodWill, etc. into which I can put the leftovers, slip them into a used bread bag (as I do now with the margarine containers) and have them ready to be put directly into the microwave (after a few minutes sitting on the counter to warm up) after taking them out of the fridge.

Laziness, do you think?

Have a great week (what's left of it) and weekend - I'm going to the KT talkers' gathering in Windsor on the weekend.

ole joyful

• joyfulguy
    Original Author
    18 years ago

In this area, near the Great Lakes, I thought earlier that I'd try to avoid turning up the furnace until Nov. 1 - and succeeded. It was warm then, so I delayed.

Then a couple of cold days - still delayed.

Thankful, by the way, that I had the tank filled at the end of heating season, last spring!

Must confess: cheated a bit. Had a portable electric heater in the bathroom, as I've said for years that civilized men sit down to pee, and now that I'm older, that chore takes place oftener. And I don't like sitting down on a cold plastic seat. Don't know what I'd have done when using outdoor privies in winter, years ago. Didn't enjoy flush toilets until I went to Univ.

Also am using a portable electric heater blowing into the area where I sit at the desk and use the computer.

Both turned off now, as I'm away for the day.

Also said that I'd try to avoid putting on winter underwear till Nov. 1, as well.

Which I did. Someone said that if one travels lightly clad in late fall, letting one's teeth chatter a bit (that was back when I had more than three), one didn't notice the cold as much when February rolled around.

Still doing - though with car in garage for repair and en route to senior men's coffee group at church this morning, and coming here to the library to visit you guys this afternoon, I found it a bit difficult to face a substantial chilly wind this morning, with a few snow pellets in the air for part of the time that I walked about four miles before getting a ride while hitchhiking.

Weather man (sorry: "person") doesn't seem to pay much attention to the calendar, it seems.

Did pick up about three grocery bags of pop cans (worth about 1.5 cents each at he scrap metal dealer's) and beer cans (worth 10 cents at the beer store - as are beer bottles, of which I picked up about three - but them bottles are *heavy*).

Did that a while ago, as well, left the bag by the roadside - but when I came back later with the car to pick them up, someone had pinched the bag!

Drat!

Have a great week, everyone - and enjoy the measure of health that you have, while you have it.

I'm thankful, at 76, to be enjoying good health: don't think I've taken a pill in 30 years.

ole joyful

• cynic
    18 years ago

Ed, ol buddy, do yourself a favor and invest in a padded terlit seat. Much more comfortable to sit on and much, much warmer for those of us who keep the temps a bit lower. And a good thick padded one isn't any more than a thin one. I really don't notice the temp issue in the bathroom anymore. Don't even need the heater in there either.

When the house got to 52 a while back, I decided it was time to turn on the furnace! Actually up to that point it felt OK, but that night it got cold. I like it cool in the house so I normally keep the thermostat at 59° to 61° which puts the house at about 61° to 63°. For me, that's quite comfortable. I usually wear sweats around the house, and so the temp is comfortable for me. Occasionally if I'm not feeling well, I turn up the temp. I've turned it upward of 70 on occasion in years past but it's not long lasting. If it's too warm I have trouble breathing and big trouble sleeping. With the gigantic hikes in fuel in the past year and the ominous outlook for this winter, being used to this is a very good thing. But I will be comfortable.

And I close off seldom used rooms and shut off the heat registers in there so I heat a smaller square footage area. A lot of the things I do seem to be common sense to me and have done them for years. Hard to put down in writing the stuff I do.

I too am more of a nighthawk. And also felt a bit guilty about spending electricity for lighting when I wouldn't need it if I were up in the day, but then I take solice in that I use a 13w CFL next to me, which is the comparable of a 60w bulb. All the light I want around unless reading.

I've gotten away from using disposable plates and the like. I run some water and soap in the sink and soak the plate for a while and it's easy to wash it. Haven't had a dishwasher since I was in my first apartment 30 years ago. My small kitchen isn't really conducive to putting a DW in although I could use a portable. I did have a little countertop unit years ago that used water pressure only but it was only fair. When I got disciplined to soak the dishes and not let them pile up, it's not a big problem. Someday, probably when or if I move, I'll get a DW and save some water that way. However my water bills wouldn't justify buying one for that savings. Oh and a spray bottle with some diluted dish soap to spray a single plate and silverware setting makes for a quick cleanup too and also works nicely for washing hands at the sink.

Keep washing your hands often folks. It's better than a flu shot for prevention.

• joyfulguy
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi again ole cynic,

Great to hear from you again.

I had electric baseboard heat in the townhouse complex where I lived till earlier this year, so could change thermostat settings room by room easily.

At old Uncle's place, it's an oil furnace, so have to adjust the dampers in the pipes.

I think that I keep it about the same level of heat as you - wear lots of clothes.

I kept it cooler in the kitchen, where I was moving around working rather than sitting at the desk or computer desk.

Usually have a quilt handy to the upholstered chair where I (seldom) sit to watch TV, so I can drape it over my frame while sitting still there. I'm a devotee of our national radio.

Ain't duvets great? Down-filled coats, also.

Once, in N MI en route to my work in Alberta, after visiting my daughter in Ontario at Christmas on her return from a year as exchange student in Germany, I used my down-filled sleeping bag that I'd bought about 25 years earlier, spreading it across the bench seat in my car.

It had never been used where it was quite cold before, and I crawled in about midnight when a storm was due and I, though wanting to get away from the Lake Superior shoreline, just couldn't drive any more, safely, after 24 hours at the wheel.

Was rather distressed that I needed to start the car to warm up about three times during the night.

This being holiday time in the skiing area of N MI, Sunday mornings were usually busy.

When I awoke about 7:30 and looked out through windows partially obscured by snow - only one small snowplow was moving. Radio tuned to a local station said it was 36 degrees below zero.

Road out of town was like driving into a white sheet. Same after lunch.

After spending night there, no wind, roads clear, so I set off - stopped in town where radio station was to ask them to thank the locals for hospitality rendered, just one guy there, he put me on the air.

Asked where I was bound, when I said "Edmonton" - he talked of Wayne Gretzky who then played hockey there.

ole joyful

• joyfulguy
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Likely a number of you use a bare blade while shaving (i.e. not electrical).

It seems to me wise when using a razor not to pull it straight down over the beard, but at an angle.

Remember the best way to cut a twig with a knife - not straight across, but sliding the blade across the wood?

Careful moving it at too wide an angle, though - might cut yourself.

It'll probably mean that you'll use that blade quite a bit longer, also, for it's the "pull factor" that usually makes us decide to get a new blade - and sliding it partly sideways will probably delay the pull getting beyond tolerable levels, as well. I've been using a half dozen of those throw-away razors for almost a year - but, being retired, I don't need to shave every day.

I use the triple-bladed Gillette one occasionally, when I expect to be going somewhere tomorrow where I want to look presentable, as it seems to give a closer shave - but the blades are *expensive*!

Careful, now - no cutting up allowed around here (as Dad used to caution us)!

ole joyful

• sandy0225
    18 years ago

How's this for cheap? I go into town a few times a week. When sugar, flour, etc is on sale, I go in and buy the limit of it, every time I go into town. Then I store the sugar and flour in a large rubbermaid storage container in the basement. My sugar costs .98 for 4 lbs instead of 1.79 it's going for usually. It doesn't seem to lump up either as long as it's in one with a good tight fitting lid. I put the flour bags in recycled bread bags before putting them in the tub. Then if there are flour bugs, they don't get in all the bags.
    I have a big shelf in the basement I store other canned goods and supplies on. I can my own vegetables and grow them too.
    We use shredded junk mail for bedding for my daughters' guinea pigs, then we compost the used bedding in the compost pile.
    We hang our clothes out on the clothesline, weather permitting.

• joyfulguy
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Clotheslines ain't so bad even when the temp. gets down to a few degrees below freezing ...

... for hangin' the stuff out.

When the hands get cold - stick 'em down among the as yet unstrung stuff in the wash basket for a few moments.

But takin' the wash down is the tough part.

Snow on the goods - go along with a stick, gloved hand, washbasket, etc. and give them a good thump to knock the snow off.

The, the pins stick to the garment, the garment sticks to the line.

It takes only a few pieces, about half as stiff as boards, to fill the basket.

But by then the hands are cold, anyway. Using gloves is a pain in the patoot.

So - head for the house.

Take down the rest of the stuff, later. I didn't need it right away, anyway.

I spread the friz stuff around on the furniture to finish drying, sometimes.

Sure saves on power, though.

Good wishes for keeping your hot air under control - and sufficient for your needs.

ole joyful

• cynic
    18 years ago

During the winter, when clothes aren't quite dry, I'll hang them over a chair or something in front of the heat register. I have an open wrought iron railing in my house that makes a good clothes line for the things that aren't quite dry. I also have a clothes rod in the basement and hang things right on hangars on the rod. Also good for the snow soaked stuff after blowing snow on a windy day. They'll dry quickly. On summer days when the fan is running, the air circulation will usually dry some things too as long as the humidity isn't too high. I'll admit though that for most things I splurge and use the dryer but I try to be careful not to overdry.

I also keep an ice cream pail of water in front of the register to add much needed humidity to the air. Got tired of playing with the regular humidifier.

sandy0225, to help out with the bugs, as soon as you get home with the flour, sugar and stuff like that, put them into the freezer (in a store plastic bag) and leave them a day or two. Then put them into the plastic containers and you'll cut down the bug problems. After seeing the back rooms of a couple of grocery stores and the conditions at a wholesaler, I freeze everything like that, including pasta, before using it or storing it and always keep it in sealed containers. A little effort, but saves having to toss everything and having the house fumigated from a bug infestation!

I like using the large pickle jars (that delis get) for storing things like flour & sugar. They usually will give them away free. They're clear so you see what's in them and how much is left and the other advantage is you can take the flour and shake it up in the jar and for most things don't even have to bother sifting it.

I have a little wipe off marker board on the refrigerator (free after rebate) so when I'm low on something, I jot it down. It's on the way out so I can see what I need if I'm going to or by a store. Saves on special trips. Also made up a list of often purchased items so I check that before heading to the store. Helps for a reminder on things I need.

Took a spray bottle and put some dish soap in it and filled it with water. Keep it next to the sink and when I just have a couple of plates and some silverware or just one item to clean, just give a spray and wipe it with a dishcloth, rinse it off and it's clean. Helps keep the dish pile down. Saves money from using too much soap, saves time from having to rinse it excessively too and saves time. Also good for washing hands at the sink. Don't need a special hand soap. Also a good general purpose counter cleaner. Works great on the refrigerator.

Speaking of that, I buy the big jugs of cheap dish soap and use that for liquid hand soap. Cheap and works great. Cleaner than the bar soap, doesn't have the mess. Since I got a bunch of the small pump bottles (free after rebate) I refill them and can just grab another when I need it and then refill several at a time.

Ed, old buddy, you spend money on shaving? Grow a beard and save the big bucks! Earn extra money during the holidays as a store Santa! ;) Seriously though, if you use a little diluted soap on the face before using shave cream, I found it gave me a better shave, fewer nicks and the blades last longer because they clean out better.

• joyfulguy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Some of you who didn't see this before may find some useful ideas here.

ole joyful

• jannie
    16 years ago

I once bought a spray bottle of Windex cleaner. When it was used up, I refilled with half ammonia and half water. Works great on windows and mirrors. I think windex is now about $3 a bottle. Ammonia is about $1 a quart.

• veggrljo
    16 years ago

New to the forum and enjoyed the info. I save dish water and place a bucket in the shower too as we live in drought area.
    We compost, shop with coupons, have a veg garden, make our own laundry saop and enjoy the thrift shops. We love a good bargain. I see it as a challenge and am glad others are sharing info.

• tom418
    16 years ago

I have hot water off of my oil burner. In the summer, I turn the furnace OFF, until about 10 minutes before showering or laudndry, dishes, etc. If I didn't do this, My furnace will cycle four times a day, keeping water that I will not use HOT.

Sure, when I DO turn the furnace back on, it takes 7 minutes for the HOT water to be usable. But I'm still using a LOT less oil this way.

• honest_me
    16 years ago

This is very interseting thing which u have done ..today i will also open my frozen juice so that i also get the cool air in my whole house..thax a lot for great information which can easly our money instead ofm using air conditioning..:)

• cynic
    16 years ago

The bathroom in my house has no window so it gets rather dark in there of course. Someday I'll invest in a "solar tube", but I've found that a plain little nightlight gives more than adequate lighting for routine uses. Especially at night when you don't want a big blast of light in your eyes. I used to use a dimmer switch but I converted to CFLs years ago so the dimmer use was out. New ones can be dimmed, but the old ones can't.

And the beauty of the nightlight is that it's one of the little flurorescent ones. Gives great light for a few watts of electricity. Easy to turn on and if guests are around I leave it on and they don't even bother using the main lights in there.

Also, folks here probably know it, but just a reminder, you probably don't need to power up the printer (or leave it running 24/7) when you're on the computer just surfing or something. Turn off things that aren't being used. I like switched outlet strips for turning things off. Free after rebate too!

Have you jotted down sizes of things to carry in your wallet? Clothes sizes? Furnace filter sizes? Any other filters or the like? If you have these on you and run across some on sale or at a garage sale or something, you don't have to wonder if it'll fit! 1 little scrap of paper (back of an old envelope works fine too!) can work well for saving some money.

And of course, LIST, LIST, LIST! Make a ToDo list of things you need to take care of while you're out and about. Mail the bills while you go get gas, stop and pick up the milk (in case the cow went dry!) and the like. A few minutes will plan the most efficient route. And a little thought you'll probably remember that you should make the grocery store the last stop if you're getting ice cream in the middle of the summer.

I enjoy the "simple saving" techniques! I won't be raising my own sheep and spinning my own wool, but I sure can turn off a light, turn down the water heater, change to CFLs and maximize the number of trips when I have to go somewhere. Yeah, simple, that's the ticket!

• cynic
    16 years ago

While posting in another thread it hit me about a simple little helper more appropriate for this thread.

I'm a checklist person. Have a list of common grocery "staples" that I often purchase so I use that list to remind me of things I might need. But I also made of a list of "Misc From Misc". Misc things I buy from misc places. If there's only one or two places that carry a certain item I put them in there. For instance there's a certain brand of "cheese curls" that are unusually good and only available from certain, usually convenience, stores. So if I know I want some, I don't waste my time driving around and when I know I'm going by there, I can pick them up. Also the big stores, for instance, without naming names, let's just call a store "MalWart". "MalWart" carries a very good and cheap laundry detergent, has good prices on virtually all cleaners, has some store brands of items I like, etc. I make the list in there so when I know I'm going to "MalWart" I can check for other stuff I may need. I have also started to make some notes in there about things I've tried and find unusually good or things I've been disappointed in so I don't wind up buying them again. I also try to keep a copy of the list in my vehicle if I'm out and about and stopping in.

I've also made some notes in there about some specials and when so I get an idea when I might find them again. For instance a major drug chain puts aspirin on sale for 29¢ about twice a year, Ibuprofen for 99¢ about every 3-4 months, Vitamins & Glucosamine on B1G1F at certain times and the like. Then if I know I'm getting low, I know where I got the better deal and about when it might go on sale again. Sort of a modified "price book"

Again, something rather simple, but effective. Not totally unlike me.... simple but effective! Well, maybe no so effective....

• joyfulguy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

How about an idea that may reduce global warming, plus pollution, and save precious energy resources ...

... plus leave some more money in your pocket?

How about logging each stop as you go driving for a day/week/month/year?

Include what you do when you are at those stops.

Check your log from time to time.

I'll bet that you'll find ways to achieve more action on a trip, possibly cutting down on the trip mileage while doing it.

And to cut down on the number of trips made.

And you get a bonus ... save money on gas.

Plus another bonus ... save time. If you add in some of the time evaluating, to offset some of the saving while avoiding some trips and cutting the mileage on others, there'll be less real saving, of course.

However, if you make the log in a small book that you keep in the car, but can carry with you when you attend a location where you suspect that you may have some waiting time, e.g. doc's office, you may be able to do that evaluation in time that would otherwise be non-productive.

Good idea to take a book along, to get in some reading during such waiting periods, as well.

Or sewing - I think that I have about three dozen socks that need some darning. It seems to me that I should spare a thought for the other member of each pair, left cooling their heels, unused, while the holey ones sit waiting the boss' attention!

Maybe we should mention to the unused sock (well, possibly to both of them) that the hiatus of inactivity may quite possibly prolong their life?

Life gets difficult if you're a sock ... imagine, having the goal of your life covering (for) beings that everyone calls a heel!

Maybe prolonging such isn't such a great deal, after all.

That "covering for a heel" sounds sort of like part of the task carried by the average secretary.

Oh, sorry - they aren't "secretaries" any more ... more like "Executive Assistant" or "Executive Co-ordinator" ... but one is inclined to ask ... might such a designation include a higher level of compensation?

I hope that you are looking forward to a memorable weekend.

Just think - if you were retired, every day would be weekend!

Maybe a smart financial planner, preferably who isn't restricted to selling a limited number of financial products, thus quite likely suffers from a disease called "conflict of interest", could help you learn ways to achieve such a goal earlier, rather than later. Aided by some of that money that you saved by being forced to fill the gas tank less often.

ole joyful

• jannie
    16 years ago

My late father in law used to take morning walks thru his neighborhood, always with his head down. He watched for coins on the ground. And he'd always pick them up, even pennies. He brought them home and stuck them in a glass jar. He once counted a jar full and had over $100. Also, he said the best places to look were right outside fast food drive tru windows. Not a bad "hobby" for a retired old guy with lots of time on his hands.

• cynic
    16 years ago

Hey Joyful, don't you have a roll of the Bachelor's Sewing Kit lying around? (aka "Handyman's Secret Weapon", "Silver Miracle", "a Roll of Bolts" "Grey Gold", "Homeowner's Cure-ALL" and yes, a couple of wierdos call it something like "duct tape"!)

Staplers work too.

• joyfulguy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

cynic,

Staples under a heel ain't a great deal of fun.

If you use duct tape ... better use a second piece to stick to the first piece ... or you'll need to have the dog get hold of the toe, using one of those tug-of-war games/matches that most dogs love ... to get the sock off!

If you go the more difficult route, sticking the tape to the inside of the sock ...

... how do you propose getting the foot out of the shoe?

Have you ever tried wearing a shoe to bed?

I'll bet your wife'll tell you that you just got a new job ... you can wash the sheets!

o j

• joyfulguy
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Maybe some of you can think of some new, worthwhile ideas.

I try to keep an extra pair of reading glasses in the car, in case I forget to take some when doing errands, visiting the computer in the library, etc.

Sometimes, if I forget, I can get an extra pair at a Dollar store.

Trouble is - sometimes it takes darn near a dollar's worth of gas to get to the Dollar store from where you are when you realize that you need them, and the back-up isn't there!

Looks as though I'm going to need a prescription pair ... should I, can I bear to open the wallet to get an extra pair, in case the first set isn't handy? Or ... oh, woe! ... I may have lost them?

Life do have its problems!

ole joyful

• cynic
    16 years ago

Years ago I bought a little magnifying glass (plastic fresnel lens type) that's about the size and thickness of a business card. I think it was less than $2 with a plastic case/cover, could even have been less than $1. I carry it in my wallet and it worked even when I used to just carry a money clip. Boy does that come in handy for reading the fine print or when I forget the specs. I've loaned it to people quite often when they're having trouble reading ingredients or whatever. Surprising how many of us there are who can't read the fine print anymore!

Couple other savings routines. Use timers. My TV has a "sleep timer" to shut off after a designated period of time. If I fall asleep, it goes off and saves electrictiy. But time things. Turn off the oven a little early. No sense using the extra energy and there's plenty of heat in there to finish things off.

And how many are guilty of leaving the TV or radio on while you're on the computer and not paying attention to it? Yeah, I do it now and then too!

This time of year, the weather can be used to our advantage. If you have extra beverages or something to keep cool, leave them outside. Takes less to chill them when you put them in the frig, and often you won't need to use the frig at all for them. I have an attached garage so it works great for this. Even into the winter months since the garage doesn't get quite as cold as a detached garage would.

As soon as I finish making my morning coffee, it goes into a thermos, or I guess "vacuum bottle" is the proper "generic" term for it. Several advantages. First it stays hot without costing anything in power; Second, it doesn't evaporate out and get stronger; third it doesn't get bitter from the excess heat/time and lastly, I have it right next to me no matter where I'm sitting. And if I don't drink what's in the cup right away and it gets cold, I simply pour it back into the thermos and refill the cup. Don't need to nuke it or toss it, resuling in additional savings.

This thread, not unlike our buddy Joyful, is an oldie but a goodie! Keep on rolling those ideas through!

• vegangirl
    16 years ago

I have so enjoyed this thread!

Our biggest expense is gas and diesel for our car and truck. We live about 25 miles from everywhere! DH has physical therapy once a week in a town 22 miles away. Workers Comp does reimburse him for this but we have to buy the gas up front. Whenever he goes, we try to get whatever we need and run any errands that we can. Church is 23 miles in another direction. His elderly mother lives about 80 miles away and we try to see her once a month at least.

We are so very fortunate that DH and DS are extremely handy. DH used to build houses for a living. We have been blessed to build a nice, super insulated house on a pay as you go basis so we have no mortgage. We've done ALL the work ourselves (and our son) with a couple of work bees where friends and relatives came and helped with the big stuff--raising the walls, roofing, etc. Two BILs, one son-in-law and DD's FIL have helped a great deal too. In turn, we have helped them with big projects. It's taken us 6 years now and we're still not finished but we've enjoyed living in the house for 4 years now. There are days when DH is in too much pain to work on the house but we plug away at it.

We have a propane furnace but we heat with wood. We have propane water heater and kitchen ranges. For insurance purposes, wood cannot be your "primary" heat source so we put in the furnace. It's nice to have if we go away for a weekend. We rarely do though:-)

I like to be warm and I like light even more! We've bought some CFs and need to get more.

I don't buy processed food, junk food, etc. We have about 11,000 sq ft of vegetable gardens and can, freeze and dry the produce. I cook from scratch and we enjoy cheap foods--beans, brown rice (cheap from a co-op), etc.

Looking forward to reading more tips!
    VG

• junkyardgirl
    16 years ago

All this talk about wool socks has me having flashbacks to my life before Florida. I remember too well dressing in many layers, and wearing thermals, longsleeved turtlenecks, and sweater with wool socks (sometimes a pair of thin socks underneath) around the house, because the heat was set on 65.

Here in FL, I get cold at 70, so I crank up the heater (heat pump...very efficient here) for a few minutes to get it up to 73, then off. I've found that 73 is very comfy for me. I turn the heat off at night unless it's going to get really cold, and use a heated mattress pad. Good for the old joints, too.

My downfall in winter is that I have tropical birds, and they have to be kept reasonably warm, so I have to have the heat on at least 65 when they're inside. I cover them to hold in their body heat, and I've slowly acclimated them to cooler temps (used to have to keep them at 75), but I still can't let them get too cold, or they'll get sick.

I am trying to get into the habit of recycling the cold water out of the tap when it's getting warm, and also find a way to catch and recycle some of the shower water that just runs down the drain. I have an oversized shower stall (the same size as a tub), so I know there has to be some way, I just haven't thought it up yet. I'm sure I could get boodles of water that way, even good enough to drink, since it will be coming right out of the showerhead. I take 5 minutes showers, but have been toying with the idea of showering only every other day, and sponge bathing on odd days.

I got a great deal on CFL bulbs the other day, so I have every major light in the house fit with them, and try to keep lights off as much as possible.

My biggest expenditure down here is cooling in the summer, and that will just have to be, because I cannot take the heat anymore like I used to. I have ceiling fans that helps a lot, and I keep the thermostat on 80 except at night, when it goes down to 77 and I also use a fan in the bedroom.

I unplug all appliances except the microwave (don't like to reset the clock every day, and can't stand that blinking!) when not in use. Haven't really seen any great differences in the bill yet, but pennies count.

I have big picture windows, one is shaded, one is sunny in the afternoon, so I use those to let heat and light in during chilly days.

Pre-cook in the microwave, and hardly ever use the big oven. I bought a large toaster oven, and it will cook a roaster hen, so I use it a lot to conserve energy. Using the crockpot more also.

Guess that's all on an everyday basis.

• woodsprite_61
    15 years ago

We use liquid soap instead of bar soap in the shower and bath because it reduces soap scum and mould, both of which require more cleaning energy and cleaning products.
    All in all it's more environmentally friendly, healthier, saves time, energy, and money! :)

• joyfulguy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi woodsprite 61 (who doesn't look a day over 45),

Good golly, Miss Molly!

Where did you *find* this thread? It's been around for ages!

As someone said ... saving that water that comes out cold from the "hot" tap can be a substantial help ... especially for folks who have rather heavy utility costs to pay. As someone else said ... it's perfectly good water. Some use it to water plants. Good for drinking: if you have an electric kettle, use the saved water to feed it.

I live on what used to be old Uncle's farm, now, where the well that feeds the house is too close to what used to be his barnyard, so is contaminated, and requires that I haul all of the water that I use for drinking and most of the cooking (sometimes I use well water for sustained boiling) from elsewhere.

Too cheap to buy the bottled stuff (that many farming and rural people use).

I use gallon milk jugs ... and find that there's a limited number of places in town where there's space to put them under a tap to fill - bathtub and most kitchen faucets are O.K, and quite a few kitchen sinks in churches - but sometimes there's not enough space, there. Bathroom in gas station, restaurant, etc.? Forget that!

In the kitchen, probably a pitcher such as one uses for mixing cold drinks for kids, etc. would be O.K., or pour into a jug with cap if you don't care for Floating Flies.

In the bathroom, one would need a pail with large mouth, I think - a jug with small mouth that runs slowly and gurgles wouldn't be satisfactory for flushing the toilet, I think. Could fill easily from shower, but need a pitcher to collect water from lavatory tap. Hose with larger rubber built-in funnel at one end to stuff over the sink spout work?

Son got me a couple of plastic jugs that held about four gal. of oil for fast food restaurant the other day, and I'll try them, but I think that filling will be a bit difficult - require carrying a pitcher along with, to catch water, then fill the large bottle/tank, I think. Probably more nuisance than it's worth.

Rural wells are very expensive to dig and install entrance piping and pump ... but once that's done, only a low cost for electricity to run the pump, plus set aside a bit of money to repair/replace it after a number of years, and clean well occasionally, plus amortize cost of replacement some day long in the future.

May I come up with a somewhat heretical idea?

When I was a kid ... we bathed on Sat. night in a washtub behind the kitchen stove. Bedrooms had a large pitcher (is it called a "ewer"?) sitting in a large crockery basin that more fastidious (shy?) people used for bathing in the bedroom. If someone with a fairly sensitive smelling mechanism were to have given us a fairly close once-over, say, about Wednesday ... I doubt whether we really smelled too bad.

Not a large proportion of the current population which lives in temperate climate does strenuous work - the kind that makes one sweat somewhat ... (sorry, "perspire" - I know that 5-letter word carries some of the stigma of the "four-letter" ones).

Would it really set the world back on its ear were some of our modern folk who seldom perspire to space out the shower to every *other* day ...

... or even, horror of horrors! ... every third day??

Give it a try, sometime when two situations are in place:

1. you don't have to get close to people crucial to your reputation for a couple of/few days, and
    2. some really good friend, who will level with you without fear or favour ... and who has a very sensitive smelling device, is available, to give you a thorough sniff-over at the end of the second (third??) day?

Seems to me that many of you could keep out of a lot of hot water, that way!

Have yourselves a lovely not-quite-winter getting-ready-for-Christmas week, everyone. If Christmas is meaningful to you ... if not, have an enjoyable week.

ole joyful ... somewhat downcast: stock-market blues! Check over on "Money Saving", "Household Finance" and "Retirement".

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    15 years ago

Thank you woodsprite for reviving this thread. I really enjoyed your entries joyfulguy and all the others that chimed in too.

Have a great day, have a great life! :-)

• sherwoodva
    15 years ago

We try to watch the big expenses more than the little ones (paying cash for the car, etc.) But there are some daily ways we save money. We walk the 3/4 mile to the metro station for our commute to work. We combine trips - drive to the gym, recycle center, pharmacy, etc. in the same trip on the weekend.

I have a long rod in my laundry room and put clothes on hangers after just a few minutes in the dryer. The dryer helps get the wrinkles out, and they can air-dry on the hangers. It also helps humidify the house.

We don't buy meat, junk food, or processed food except salad dressing. A bag of sugar lasts us about five years, as we don't make desserts except to take to a party. A lot of folks mentioned saving margarine tubs, but we don't use margarine and rarely use butter. (We do use olive oil.) DH is a great cook, so that helps. He makes whole wheat bread, we eat regular (not instant) oatmeal every morning, and plenty of fruits and veggies during the day. We don't drink soda or tea, so that saves a lot of $$. We each drink over a liter of water a day.

I buy clothes rarely, but shop mostly at the thrift store and eBay. Regarding wool socks - I love them, but they are getting very expensive. My sister laughed at me last month when I complained that mine were wearing out after ten years.

We tried no shoes in the house - too cold, as the thermostat is at 68. So we each have a pair of "indoor" shoes that we never wear outside. Keeps the floor clean and keeps our feet warm and properly supported.

DH and I are still working, but we try to do most of the household repairs, etc. ourselves. We do pay others to do things like plumbing and drywall. Cheaper than making a mistake!

• joyfulguy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I could almost have avoided buying radish seed this spring, for there were quite a few radishes about an inch high in the fall, volunteering from the radishes that had gone to seed earlier.

There are a good deal many more this spring ... and some from the area where the radishes were, the year before.

Anyone want some radish seeds?

I have a few lettuce plants starting on their own, as well. Last year had quite a few zucchini from the ones that had spoiled that I threw directly on to the garden rather than into compost ... plus some volunteer tomato plants in a part of the garden where they were not planted, as well.

I had about 60 some asparagus plants, last year ... but the landlord nicked some when he ran the tiller down the rows, last summer.

And this spring when he did the initial tilling, to chew up the residues from last year and let the chewed up pieces start to rot ... he nicked a fair chunk of one row. Plus some died, I think ... so I think that I have only about half as many plants, now. Quite a few more seeds, so will fill in the blank spaces (but will need to mark them, as they'll need to be transplanted later than the originals).

I save some of the first run of cold water out of the hot water tap in the bathroom/kitchen to water the cats, as well as flush the toilet.

You guys in the sunny south-west should do a lot of that, cause you sure are short of water.

They had a note on the radio the other day that they're worried that the rivers in rather dry Alberta are polluted now, and the flow is largely allocated ...

... so if some of you come wanting us to ship some down the trench between the mountains to California, Arizona, etc. ... we may be tellling you to get lost!

The glaciers that feed them have been shrinking ... and if (when?) they die, Calgary may be crying big time for water, themselves.

Have yourselves a lovely spring, everyone ... it's getting so that one can drop most of the winter clothing sometimes, in the last few days ... sort of a relief, that.

ole joyful

• joyfulguy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

From Jan '03 to May '09 ... what a long run this story has made!

More savings?

I've shopped the specials of products that I like for years and stored them for a short time until needed.

Recently have imported some mice, and later rats, into the house ...

... but still shop the specials ... and store 'em in those big plastic tubs that some folks use for storage ... which I didn't have to buy (well, haven't had to yet) as I'm storing some for son and a friend.

Had some cookies in one of those gallon ice cream plastic pails ... and one o' the dang rats chewed a 2" hole in it where the lid meets the pail!

Most of them view traps with disdain, even when baited with "come hither" bait ... and won't touch Warfarin-laced enticing food.

Were I to invite the barn cat into the house for a visit ... I suspect that they'd evade her, as well.

Oh, well - life do have its problems!

ole joyfuelled

• ltlfromgardenweb
    9 years ago

Anyone have any advice for when spouse refuses to keep temp at moderate levels?
    See, the way I look at it, in the summer you dress in short sleeves, maybe shorts, maybe wear sandals with no socks, right? Basically, you dress for the heat you will face outdoors. So if you keep your home freezing cold like an over-air conditioned movie theater, aren't you uncomfortable when you're inside? Same with the winter. In winter you wear sweaters, warm socks, and so keeping your house the same 70 degrees you might like in the warmer months should make you feel too hot in winter clothes.

My preference would be low 60s in the winter. 63, day and night. My husband likes 70, which is a waste of money and just plain feels too hot. We have kids, including a baby who is mostly crawling around at the (colder) floor level but I don't buy this idea that kids need to be coddled in this way. Babies don't have any preset expectation for what part of the world they're born into--their parents could be polar explorers and they'd manage to survive. We compromise at 65 which I guess is okay.

• joyfulguy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sometimes I've asked stores, community centres, etc. that keep the air conditioners turned so high in summer that it almost makes one's teeth chatter, after coming in from the heavy heat on a summer day ...

... whether they rent sweaters!

Some rather enjoy the humour ... some wonder what on earth you're talking about, etc.

ole joyfuelled

• mike_kaiser_gw
    9 years ago

People have different comfort levels when it comes to temperature and I'm inclined to believe that's a biological factor that can't be controlled. The only solution where two people have vastly different tolerances is compromise and the satisfaction that knowing your partner isn't comfortable either.

I dated a girl that kept that house at 68 in the summer. I thought it was a little silly to be sitting on the sofa wrapped in a blanket complaining you're "hot." But what do I know? ;-)

I wouldn't find the low 60's comfortable at all. I typically wear a sweater during the winter months but long-johns, insulated boots, and a hat seems excessive for indoors!

• grainlady_ks
    9 years ago

Medication people take and some heart conditions can cause intolerance to heat or cold.

My father, sister and son have low blood pressure and can tolerate heat very well, but not cold; and those with high blood pressure seem to love cold and have problems coping with extreme heat.

People who smoke have diminished blood flow. Smoking constricts the blood vessels disrupting blood flow which makes them feel colder than non-smokers. People with blood low in iron (usually women of child-bearing age) often feel cold.

Some people have a slow metabolism and others have a fast metabolism which will mean different comfort levels when it comes to heat and cold.

"Room temperature" is considered 70-degrees F.

-Grainlady

• joyfulguy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

On a suddenly chilly day last week when I was wearing a jacket, as I walked from the parking lot to the wellness centre, a lady walking near had pretty well a summer, or fall, outfit on, and I commented that perhaps it had something to do with my getting old and feeling the chill more, but that I thought that I'd not want to be going around on that morning as lightly clad as she.

She, in her 40s or perhaps 50s, commented that some folks had their own recently-acquired interior furnace.

One of the kind related strictly to females, possibly?

Should save on the fuel bill ... especially if one lives alone: coupledom might cause complications?

ole joyful

• zzackey
    9 years ago

We use space heaters and sometimes the oven (first thing in the morning) and window A/C's. I use and electric blanket at night and no heater if it isn't really cold. We save hundreds of dollars a year by doing this. Not always pleasant until we get the electric bill and the neighbor tells us how high his bill was. I am fanatical about turning off the light when I leave a room. I wash dishes in cold water most of the time. I save rain water in buckets and pictchers and water my plants with it. We have a switch to turn our hot water tank on and off. I think that saves alot of money. We only go to town when necessary (we live 15 miles away) and try to do all of our shopping and errands in one day.I cut open toothpaste tubes and scoop out the toothpaste. I store the tube in a ziplock bag. You'd be amazed how much you can't squeeze out.