Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
annualcreditreport.com

Posted by cream_please (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 13, 09 at 0:25

Just wondering if anyone ever uses this?
I'm extremely leery of divulging personal info online, but I'd like to know my credit score and this place supposedly has reports from the three major credit reporting firms.
Says you can get a copy of your report free once a year.

Cream

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: annualcreditreport.com

There are lots of such services. I just happened to find this article that rated and compared many of them. I can't vouch for the article itself, but it seemed legit to me. Hope it helps.

Here is a link that might be useful: Various Credit Report Services Rated

o

Yep, you can get free reports at that site.

I stagger them so that I get one every 4 months from one of the bureaus.

DO NOT sign up for any monthly program... unless you want to. The yearly report is FREE!

o

CreamPlease, this is the website (annualcreditreport.com) that is an authorized site per the FTC. Do not use any other, unless as Western PA says, you want to pay for it. It is now federal law that you do NOT have to pay for your credit report.

Per the link below: "Important information from the Federal Trade Commission, the nations consumer protection agency: annualcreditreport.com is the ONLY authorized online source for you to get a free credit report under federal law. You can get a free report from each of the three national credit reporting companies every 12 months. Some other sites claim to offer "free" credit reports, but may charge you for another product if you accept a "free" report."

It is a secure site and I and DH have used it for 3 or 4 years now. However, please be aware that you can't get your credit SCORE for free, only your credit report. However there are ways to find out your credit score for free -- I asked a few years ago while at a dealership leasing a vehicle. They ran my score and I asked what it was. DH did the same about two years ago when we were thinking about re-financing our mortgage. Some are willing to tell you what your score is...

Here is a link that might be useful: FTC link re annualcreditreport.com

o

Cream, I've used the annualcreditreport.com site for several years, and like someone else suggested, request a copy every 4 mos from a different credit bureau on a rotating basis. If you're not comfortable doing it over the internet, there's a link where you can print a form and mail it off to them. Your credit report will come in the mail pretty quickly. They're very reliable.
Tammy

o

Thanks for sharing your experiences.
Appreciate it...
Cream

o

Memo to Canadians,

Do you know whether there may be a similar officially sanctioned site in Canada where we can access our credit reports?

Thanks.

ole joyful

o

I could use some help from those who are using annualcreditreport.com. Based on the comments here, I tried that site but kept getting into signing up for a free 30-day period, followed by an automatic $15.95 per month unless I cancelled. Have I "missed a turn", so to speak? I could use some specific directions on how to set things up without going thru the payment-cancellation drill, if that's at all possible. TIA

o

Mike, although they do offer additional information for a one-time or monthly charge, your report itself is free. Go to annualcreditreport.com and select your current state and click Request Report. You will be required to enter your full name, current address, DOB, SSN and your last previous address. Then select Continue. You can then choose from any of the 3 reporting agencies (or all 3). You'll then be connected to the one (or first of the 3) that you selected and you'll get some prompts for some $$ offers but just keep selecting "No, Thanks" button (or the equivalent).

HTH. Post back if you're still not sure how to by-pass these additional offers.

o

OJ, I researched your question and it looks like you can obtain a free credit report in Canada, but not on-line (only through the mail). They don't make it as obvious or easy to find as here in the US.

TransUnion of Canada:
http://www.transunion.ca/ca/personal/creditreport/consumerdisclosure/mail_en.page
Click on the "Download and complete form" link.

Equifax Canada:
http://www.equifax.com/EFX_Canada/consumer_information_centre/faqs_e.html#ques5
Click on "How can I get a copy of my credit report?" then click the "request form" link.

o

babs77: Many thanks for your reply. I'll give it another try tomorrow and will holler if I get stuck. Thanks again!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Money Saving Tips Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here