Return to the Retirement Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Winters in Fla.

Posted by Cara_6 (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 4, 03 at 21:55

Anyone from the Northeast who spend part of winter in Fla? Any special town you like? Would like to rent a detached home or condo for about 4 mos..furnished in an adult community.
Dont swim, fish, golf or tennis (I know, then why would you go to Fla.?)..but do bowl, dance, enjoy shows and other stuff. And would like to get away from the cold.

Any recommendations? TIA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Winters in Fla.

Gosh, Cara, as a native of St. Petersburg, Fla. I am curious what they will reply...(WHEN will they reply?) Maybe this forum is a little slower to pick up responses than some I am used to.

Let me recommend my area, the "Suncoast." A peninsula directly west of Tampa, on the Gulf of Mexico and Tampa Bay. For more than 100 years we have welcomed visitors as crucial to our economy and community life.

I think we have everything nice (except NYC level arts culture and schools...and relief from humidity May through October...but then, we would be totally UNAFFORDABLE if we had those things!).

3 Big performing arts centers among Tampa, St. P, and Clearwater that bring in or produce many, many shows. Community theater is everywhere and many depend on "snowbirds" to attend, perform, build sets, usher, etc. Dinner theaters also cater to the retired set.

Bowling is "around." Florida has recently instituted "no smoking" in all public buildings including restaurants and in bars that serve a sizable menu, so that affects bowling alleys. Lawn Bowling, Bocche Ball, Shuffleboard... you will still find all of these outdoor games played.

Dancing? For the retirement set? Oh yes! Both city-sponsored and commercial ballrooms. Everywhere!!

And "Snowbirds" are important to us as volunteers. "Meals on Wheels" and every other aspect of community life are helped by our visitors.

The traffic may be lighter when May comes, but we do miss them - it is nice to have people come here to warm up and relax!

Here are some links that will give you information:

http://www.sptimes.com

http://www.stpete.org

http://www.dep.state.fl.us/parks/index.asp

I hope this helps! Let me know if I can help further.

o
RE: Winters in Fla.

Thanks, Irma, for all that great info. It really sounds nice where you are. I was just saying to my DH today, who volunteers at our local hospital; that they will probably welcome him at any hospital he chooses to volunteer in.
(right now, he has the flu!) :(

For 5 yrs, he's been saying for us to winter in FL; see if we like it, and if so, move there. I already know I couldn't take the summers...but winters, yes! But I'm the world's worst procrastinator!

Have a happy new year.
Cara

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Retirement Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here