SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cuddlepoo

Tax deferred quandry, and other investing????

cuddlepoo
16 years ago

DH is 50, I'm 40. He makes a good living, but can't even contribute the max 401k that the IRS allows due to his companies plan of that requires a certain balance of higher and lower paid employees contributions. This year he'll be able to contribute about $11.5k. So he can't do the max, nor the $5k catch-up. On the other hand, I've been looking into IRAs for me, and apparently with his income I can contribute exactly zero (according to the Bank of America investment info). Not that I want to put all my eggs in one basket, but it shocks me how little we can do per his companies plan. Are there any other tax-deferred options for us? Just for info purposes, we will be over $200k together this year and the limits for married couples are what's limiting my options. I have a small bookkeeping business on my own, not incorporated, that will gross about $13k if that is any help.

Part two, I've been surfing the net trying to figure out how to invest my money in a relatively safe way, but make more than the rate of inflation. I'm stumped at this point. We did buy a rental house recently and thought we might buy one per year. Friends of ours (and my own mother!) have done well this way. But I have found I seriously hate being a landlord. The day we sell it will be the best day of my life. I just don't know what my next step should be.

Comments (2)

Sponsored