Return to the Retirement Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Downside of Retirement (not about $$)

Posted by colorcrazy (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 4, 13 at 14:49

I retired November 2. It was well after I was eligible to retire but before I HAD to retire. My job had changed, and it was no longer fun; I hated to get up in the morning. My friends who are retired have grandkids; I do not - was not able to have children. Many of my friends are still working. I have back problems, so there is a limit to what I can do physically (hiking, etc. are out)

This is depressing! I find myself piddling away the whole day on the computer instead of calling people and making plans, or just getting out of the house. It is odd because at work I was always a "self-starter" and had no trouble keeping busy.

DH is not eligible for a decent retirement until 2020, so I have accepted a job where I will be working 20 hours a week. It is expected to start in Jan/Feb. Meanwhile, I try to tell myself to take advantage of the time that I have now, but it is very hard. I have hobbies I used to enjoy, could go to the gym, volunteer, etc. But have to get motivated.

I may be one of the few people who definitely does not enjoy retirement.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Downside of Retirement (not about $$)

You might be right. Some people like the structure and routine of a job. Volunteering just isn't the same.
If your job did not change, you would still be there. So, in a way leaving was not really your choice.
I think you will be fine once you start your part-time job.

o

Do you have a community college you could take fun courses? I tried that for awhile taking some art programs but in my case most of the students were much younger, as compared to today. I also tried selling Avon, and did enjoy that, but too much traveling for such a little profit--extreme rural/mountain area.
Did enjoy a non denominational Bible study once a week. Now with DH gone, have gone back to stamp collecting, counted cross stitch, having a job with the church and trying to stay warm in this ND weather. Big change from CA but better living conditions and closer to relatives.

o

Hi there, crazy because the color of your retirement isn't exactly to your liking.

You were a self-starter at work.

You can be a self-starter at home ...

... and you have the advantage ... that you don't have a "bossy" boss ... to whose wishes it'd be very wise to kow-tow.

Now - you ... are ... your ... own ... boss!!

Enjoy it!!

What's that you say - that someone else can run your life better than you can?

Time to get your tail off of that rocking horse!

This is the best part of your life - get on with it!

Enjoy it!

ole joyful

o

Try Looking into OSHER Lifelong learning institute and see if it available in your area....lots of wonderful classes and programs geared towards the older crowd...I am not retired yet but a friends husband is and attends many lectures and classes and loves it.

Retirement is new for you so I don't think it's odd to feel like a fish out of water for a time. Your new part time job will help break up the week. I'm sure with time you will go back to some old hobbies and find new ones. Enjoy. The holidays and come January force yourself to get out, join a book club, volunteer...whatever. You'll feel better.

I am in the same situation you were...no longer like my job....or coworkers. I can't wait to retire in a year or two!

o

I retired at 56, but it was four yrs before DH could join me. I tried volunteering but it's not really something I enjoy, although it's an excellent way to meet people and get out of the house.

One thing I've noted is that I never accomplish as much as I think I should, when I'm not working (I've had some long periods of unemployment, so I know whereof I speak). If I get half "my to do list" done, I'm doing well, LOL.

If you are having difficulties self-starting, you may be suffering from mild depresson. I'm most certainly NOT a fan of prescriptive medications, but they do have their uses and especially in depression, where a short-term dose might make all the difference in the world to you.

My MIL's attitudes changed dramatically with a very mild dose of anti-depressant. I knew intellectually such prescriptions can be helpful, but to see the "before and after" difference in someone living with us, was like night and day.

If you've got the flu, you'd get the vaccine shot or take OTC medications to alleviate symptoms. When you're stuck in a "blue funk", getting some mild help, short-term only, is a positive step. It doesn't mean you're mentally ill, and it's nothing to be ashamed of.

Good luck to you, and HTH.

o

Can you approach your retirement as if it were your job? That is, create your list of goals and tasks for the day. If you're not sure what those are, sit down with a piece of paper and make a list of all the things you used to wish you could do if you weren't employed.

Then, clock in at 8 or 9 AM or whatever your starting time would be. And begin. Don't let yourself get side-tracked with computer browsing or incidental time-killers. Create your new routine in the manner that you would like to see it. Or, begin by writing a letter to someone whom you haven't seen in a awhile. Tell yourself that everyday you'll write one letter. Take your AM and PM breaks and lunch break, etc. At the end of the day reflect back on what you accomplished. If you can list off several items - good for you! If not, then set a new goal for the next day. You are in control. Right now, you're just not sure how to proceed as this is new territory.

o

ColorCrazy, I am chiming in late, I know.

During my "first retirement" of a little more than one year, I took the necessary classes to become a master gardener. Though I now am back at work 3 days a week, I find that I am still able to participate in activities . They do not all required the physical labor of our Demonstration Garden (though I do work there), but also include the speakers' bureau, a program for school children, and many other activities that can be accomplished by a person with physical limitations. I've also enjoy edmeeting new people.

So if you are or have been a gardener, this may be an avenue for you to enjoy activities in your retirement.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Retirement Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here