Return to the Retirement Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
State by state: retiree tax friendly and unfriendly

Posted by jkom51 (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 2, 10 at 13:22

The original article came out Sept 2009, but was updated this year, so I thought it might be useful to others.

The most (and least) tax-friendly places to retire
Where you live can make a lot of difference in how far your retirement dollars stretch, and the story goes way beyond which states have no income tax.
By Kiplinger Personal Finance Magazine, October 2010

"Best and worst states for retirees
Where's the best state for you to retire? A lot will depend on your sources of income. For retirees, while relocating to an income tax-free state such as Florida or Texas may sound appealing, sometimes the best retirement destination is a state that imposes an income tax but offers generous exemptions for Social Security benefits, pensions and other types of typical retirement income.

Here are five of the most -- and least -- tax-friendly states for retirees. Just make sure that, before you move anywhere in retirement, you factor in local taxes, too. Municipalities can impose hefty property taxes or other assessments. Federal taxes? They'll be about the same no matter where you live."
(slideshow is linked below)

Also, DO NOT MISS checking out Kiplinger's state by state interactive map URL - it's full of surprises and may change your mind about where to retire. Some states I'd thought were good retirement possibilities, actually had real disadvantages from a tax standpoint:

Excellent interactive state-by-state tax map:
http://portal.kiplinger.com/tools/retiree_map/

Here is a link that might be useful: 5 Best states/5 worst states slideshow

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: State by state: retiree tax friendly and unfriendly

When I try to open the link, I get a message, "This link cannot be found."

o
RE: State by state: retiree tax friendly and unfriendly

Apologies - I have reposted this in a new thread. Kiplinger updated the interactive map for 2011. Thanks for the notice!

Please consider this thread CLOSED and see the new one, for anyone coming late to this.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Retirement Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here