SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joyfulguy

Seeking advice - how much to charge?

joyfulguy
19 years ago

Hi all,

A couple of years ago my old step-uncle's wife died. Through many years of marriage with two wives, they had no children: my (step)-sister is his only niece and he has several cousins, with whom he was not close.

He, having had three hip replacemnents, despite heavy pain in back, hip and leg, at age 86 continued to keep beef cattle in the barn. When his wife was there, if he did not return in an hour, she investigated.

No wife, no investigation - so, not liking the possibility of his falling in a snowbank and freezing, I stayed with him for a couple of months till the cattle went on grass. I did not help care for my parents in their declining years.

When we went shopping just after my arrival, I picked up milk, as I drink a lot of it. When we arrived home amd he wondered whether I should repay him for the milk, I suggested that, many years ago when a number of neighbours helped with threshing the crops at the various farms, the farmer who was being helped fed the helpers dinner at noon and supper before they left to do evening chores at home. He did not pay me for my time there at the time, though it meant occasional travel home to look after various chores.

Uncle left me a few thousand in his will.

He died in March and I offered to help keep the place looking lived in, so have made a 25 mile round trip from my place to sleep and spend some time at his place almost every day since.

The executors are asking me to submit an account for my effort and I have little idea what amount would be relevant, so am wondering how much to ask for.

I don't want to be greedy but would like to ask for a reasonable amount.

I've heard from $15.00 - $25.00 or $30.00 per day.

Anyone have some ideas to offer?

TIA.

ole joyful

Comments (3)

Sponsored