Return to the Retirement Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cost Of Cobra

Posted by carlyb (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 11, 08 at 22:13

I have noticed time to time ?'s on Cobra. I took it so pre existing would be covered, just in case. Cobra is an extention of your previous work insurance paid by you, instead of your past employer. In my case the cost for myself at age 63 is $314.49 a month.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cost Of Cobra

Unfortunately NY is expensive becasue of state regualtion (policies have to cover evrything and evryone) -- more like 700/month.

o
RE: Cost Of Cobra

It is important that you know both about the pros and cons of COBRA. Here are a few tips:

The lifesaving power of COBRA

* COBRA coverage empowers you to extend your existing individual or family healthcare plan for up to 18 months.
* In some cases, for example when your insurance coverage was through a spouse or a parent and that person dies or you are divorced, coverage could be stretched to 3 years.
* There are exactly 105 days from the time your employer notifies you about your eligibility for COBRA to start paying your premium, which gives you enough time to look for an alternative private health insurance plan or get a new job to pay your COBRA premium. Do not miss the deadline, because you can lose your access to coverage altogether.

The flipside of COBRA

* Your former employer is under no obligation to pay your premium once you have quit, which means you pay for the hefty premium out of your pocket.
* Even within the 18 month period, if you buy coverage with a private health insurance plan you lose the benefits of COBRA or the right to take it up again.
* Your COBRA benefits cease if your employer shuts down or discontinues a group healthcare plan for its employees.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Retirement Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here