Return to the Retirement Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Post-retirement Career

Posted by JenniConnections (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 10, 12 at 7:24

There are endless possibilities for people who want to have a successful after-retirement job. You only need to make sure that you are skilled enough to do whatever job you want to pursue. Working after retirement will not only benefit you financially but will also allow you to be active regardless of your age. The idea of working after retirement especially fro some who ventures into entrepreneurship can sometimes be daunting but the rewards are fantastic.

What are your thoughts about having a post-retirement career?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Post-retirement Career

I see you are new to the Gardenweb and in Australia, from your profile. Welcome!

In the US, earned income until age 70 will reduce your social security benefits. Unless you work where there is a mandatory retirement age, most people simply don't stop working at their regular job, and delay collecting their social security until age 70.

o

Really Sushi--you find most people you know work till 70? Around here, everyone I know is retiring and starting to collect at age 62. For a lot of reasons. If you work till 70, to get the higher SS payements, it takes you well into your 80's to start making a profit. Many people don't know if they'll live that long. Many others are worried that SS is going to run out of money, so they prefer to be 'grandfathered in' (hopefully) by starting to collect earlier.

And you ARE allowed to work and earn money when you're on SS--you just have to keep your income under a specified amount. And it's more than enough that most of us can afford to have a 'little parttime' retirement job.

To answer the OP--I'm a newspaper columnist in my retirement. It's not a fulltime position--I only write occasionally, but it's fun, and I get to use my expertise and training to help others. Doesn't pay enough to affect my SS, either.

o

I know no one who retires at 62, altho some people (like me) collect SS at that age, because I had not worked for several years. But the high-earning professional people I know have no interest in stopping work. You are correct, you can work after full-retirement age (66 for those retiring now) and not lose benefits.

But yes, many people enjoy their careers and continue to work.

From the government website:
"How much can I earn while receiving Social Security retirement benefits?

"The amount you can earn while receiving Social Security depends on your age. Your earnings in (and after) the month you reach full retirement age will not affect your Social Security benefits. However, your benefit is reduced if your earnings exceed certain limits for the months before you reach your full retirement age.

"If you are under full retirement age for the entire year:

" You can earn $14,640 gross wages or net self-employment a year and not lose any benefits in 2012.
"We will deduct $1 in benefits for every $2 earned above $14,640.

"In the year you reach full retirement age:

"You can earn $38,880 gross wages or net self-employment prior to the month you reach full retirement age and not lose any benefits in 2012.
"We will deduct $1 in benefits for every $3 earned above $38,880.

"The same earnings limits apply to a spouse or child who works and receives benefits on your record. You should report earnings to us for any months and years prior to full retirement age."

Here is a link that might be useful: from the SS website

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Retirement Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here