Return to the Retirement Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
From what did you retire?

Posted by Gramma_Jan_MN_ZN_4 (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 12, 05 at 23:15

I am glad you are helping to revive this forum. I didn't mean to come in here like a bulldozer, but I was so disappointed when I saw the thread about doing away with the forum, when I had just found it. Boy, is it tucked away in an unexpected place - "the chaotic home site?" or whatever - maybe that is the problem.

I would like to know what all of you did in your other life that you are now enjoying being away from, or are you?

I'll go first. Private duty nurse, ortho nurse, evening hospital supervisor. Inactive RN to raise two DDs - we both felt it was important for me to be a stay at home mom. But honestly, I did resent having to give up my career to do so, tho don't think the girls ever knew that.
Went back for a refresher when second dtr was a HS senior and became a treatment center and mental health nurse. Retired in '92 to have bypass. Back to school. Became a chaplain. Retired again. Now working as an artist in my own home. Getting four oil paintings ready for exhibit in FL. on Nov. 1. Working on fused glass for three galleries in different states.

As you can see, I am not real good at retirement. I like to be busy and I actually enjoy working. Deadlines - to be honest - I'm not wild about, but it is what it takes sometimes for me to complete a project.
jan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: From what did you retire?

Retired two years ago from outside sales position(spring water)...Quite a bit of pressure for twenty five years...Planned a trip to Alaska in our RV...Things went great until we got back and I got sick...Doctors claim I was mildly depressed because your long term goal was relized and now what!!...So be careful what you wish for...Work part time now,two days, and all is well...

John

o

Hey, guys/gals - it's a whole big world out there.

Lots of interesting stuff to see, do and learn.

Some community/charity work can keep you active - and make your community a happier place in which to live.

I just came from senior men's coffee hour at church I attended as a child (sang with sopranos in choir, before my voice changed). Moved far away, wasn't there again much for 50 years.

They've changed name to "ROMEOs" - Retired Old Men Eating Out", they call it.

I say that it should be "ROMDOs" - "Retired Old Men Drinking Out" - but that moniker didn't seem too popular: they said that usually we have some cookies, muffins, etc. along with the coffee.

I figure it's really the "Old Farts' Club".

Anyway - I hope you're all enjoying your week.

ole joyful (who seems to have authoured too many threads on this forum

o

Well, pilgrim you have stumped me. I love to take forum names apart and give the members my own pet name for them, but I don't want to call you pil and I don't want to call you grim or ill or rim. Maybe I'll call you 555. It sounds full of mystery and intrigue, not unlike 007. Remember him? 555, sounds to me like it's time to make some short term fun goals. Work is definitely not what it is ALL about, but it is good.
ful, We joked about my nickname for you, but honestly, it does describe you in many other ways too. How great it is that you are full of joy and can laugh at yourself and enjoy the other "old farts."

It is wonderful that you have things you want to see, do and learn. Please keep posting lots and tell us about those things. Remember, you have a new audience now. You can even repeat for my benefit.

Are you doing community/charity work to make your community a happier place in which to live? I used to do scads, but now pretty much limit it to the church.
jan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Retirement Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here