Return to the Retirement Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
to Minneapolis today

Posted by Gramma_Jan_MN_ZN_4 (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 13, 05 at 22:09

Traveled with some women friends to Min. today to listen to Bishop Spong. What a message he had. Wish you could all have heard it, but especially my DH who has a bit of a problem with a lot of scripture. We are going to read his books and get together to discuss a chapter every week in addition to other weekly class study and any personal study. I am also doing a lot of art study, trying to refresh this old memory for when I start (for the first time) teaching oils in January and February.

Tomorrow, I will finish my 4 oil paintings, so they can dry thoroughly before shipping them for the instructors exhibit in FL.

So, tell me what are you studying now?

BTW: Please excuse all my typos, grammatical errors and spelling, I don't spend the time correcting forum notes. We probably all have better ways of spending our time. I used to be able to type perfectly. In fact, that was my first job. I had to type perfectly without any corrections three copies of the entire history of my home town for the Chamber.
jan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: to Minneapolis today

I went to hear Bishop Spong last spring and enjoyed it very much - but the good part was that my husband came along. I had been having a hard time getting him to believe that there are people and churches who share his beliefs.

I envy you having friends to share reading and conversation with. I have only one friend who reads and for that reason alone she is very precious to me.

I am, as usual, reading bits from all over the place. Last week I worked on the story of Ham and Noah. I have learned to read Hebrew and between that and all the sources on the internet I reached no conclusions but discovered some interesting questions.

Good luck with your teaching. I am sure that everything will come back to you. A couple of weeks ago I did a monologue as Mother Jones, something I hadn't done in 30 years, but it came right back to me. I don't know how I would fare learning something entirely new

o
RE: to Minneapolis today

bb, Nice to hear what you are doing. I was going to try to teach myself Hebrew and Greek at one point, but soon decided that wasn't going to work.

Yes, I am looking forward to the discussions groups with my women friends. I told I or we are going to read Bp. Spong each day. I think I will read it to him while he does his ortho exercises. I will have him trapped. teehee
Not really, he seems agreeable to it, after I told him a bit about it. Who knows he might join in the discussions. I think I will talk with our Episcopal priest and see whether he would like to lead it or be a part of it. He may not feel he has the time, since he already has three other study groups. But I do think this would speak to some of those who really think for themselves and have many questions related to scripture that aren't currently being answered.

Wish you could be here for the discussion group. Maybe you would want to read the same book that we start with and you and I could throw it out for discussion here, if that is not frowned on, otherwise, we could email. What do you think" We are beginning with "The Sins of Scripture: Exposing the Bible's Texts of Hate to Reveal the God of Love." After that we, we will see. I know I will be gone most of the winter, so am hoping, if I organize the group, that they will take a winter break, so I don't miss out. This is too good stuff to miss!
jan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Retirement Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here