Return to the Retirement Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
'Don't just retire from something ...

Posted by joyfulguy (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 23, 07 at 19:43

... have something to retire to." -Harry Emerson Fosdick

That was part of the heading on an article on "Phased Retirement" in a newsletter just received from a mutual fund management company along with their statement of my account.

As is important in the situation related to a number of other major changes in one's lifestyle, it seems wise to make some substantial preparations for one's retirement.

It was a part of rural wisdom some time ago, when farmers' lives were pretty well wrapped up in their farms, to observe that many a former farmer seemed to move to a village/town on retiring from farming ...

... and, about six months or a year later ...

... turn up his toes and die.

So much so that in some cases, people were reluctant to advise some old farmers, even ones suffering substantial pain or disability while they continued their work, to sell their equipment off, retire and move to a local village.

The article suggested that it is becoming more common for people to continue part-time working in their former situation, or at some other employment, or operating a business of their own. Or getting involved in a comunity betterment project, charitable activities, etc.

Especially since people are living longer, often enjoying good health for a number of years, those extended periods of life after retirement become a larger proportion of their whole life, especially as contrasted with their working years, during which they saved to pay off mortgage, educate offspring, as well as save to fund those retirement years.

And as the Boomer generation moves into retirement, they predict a labour shortage, so there will be more need for continuation of the working years on the part of people who would have been retiring at, say, 65, or even 60, possibly earlier, in earlier years.

As for you folks who have been stay-at-home-wives, encouraging the breadwinner to add some more strings to his violin before he retires is something of a matter of self-preservation.

For years you have been fairly used to having the house to yourself. Can you feature a husband with an active body and brain, bored without adequate activities and interests to keep his body and mind busy, following you around the house, saying, "You know, dear, if you were to do that task in such and such a way, it would be more efficient and easier ... plus take less time".

Best not to wait till a month or so before he retires to get those other interests and activities a-borning.

Good wishes for a retirement that leaves you with a smile on your face and a song in your heart. Plus enough assets to get by ... in that last year of life ... with a bit of cushion to enable you to avoid squeezing every nickel when that time comes (but, with inflation, it'll be a quarter, by then).

ole joyful

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 'Don't just retire from something ...

It seems that most people are preparing to finish they lives and they set up some security and hope they will have enough. On the other hand you can move where the cost of living is very low and your pension goes farther, learn a new language to keep your mind active. Start a new life Im 65 in the past 4 years built a house with pool married a young women and have a two-month-old baby girl. Im starting my life not ending it.

o

Hi Doug,

I think that you are more courageous than I.

Better start taking lessons now ...

... in how to cope with a teen when you are aged almost 80.

I'm there now ... and glad that I don't have a teen to cope with daily.

I think that one of my major tasks as a parent is to help my child prepare for independence.

I grew up on a fairly large farm during World War II ... when the farmhands had all gone to war shortly after it started in 1939, when I was 10. I had lots of responsibilities, and increasing ones, to deal with from a rather young age.

I'm of the opinion that if a child grows up knowing that as s/he shows him/herself able to cope reasonably well with responsibilities formerly given, that s/he knows that more will be granted, that much of the teen-age rebellion that troubles many might be, if not avoided, at least mitigated somewhat.

Good wishes for a flourishing life.

ole joyful

o

Hi Joyful

Growing up on a family farm is in my opinion a great asset; you had dad and mom 24/7. When I was growing up both parents worked so the time spent with them was very precious though limited. Best times that I remember is when I was 1 on 1 with my dad and mother. Most of the time they had to worry about making a living and paying bills.

Seems grandparents have more ability to deal with young people that there parents

This is my first child. Im up for the challenge of giving my daughter all that she needs to have a good live. I have many qualifications to be a good father but the only one that is important is I want too.

When I was young I lived in your old neighborhood St.Thomas On.

All the best Doug

o

Hi DOug,

You and John Kenneth Galbraith ... among others.

My Mom was sick for several years in hosp. from the time that I was about 6.

When I read that you said, " ... married a young women ..." ... I began to wonder just how young and chipper you are, anyway.

Seems to me that one wife is about all that most of us can handle (if that).

Have a fine time closing out the year and good wishes for many interesting things to do and people to meet in the New One.

ole joyful

o

My husband retired "to" his hobby of collecting and restoring Cushman Motor Scooters. We belonged to the state and national clubs. It was hard to tell he was retired, he spent most of his time in the garage playing with his scooters. He told me that every night when he went to bed he would plan what he was going to do in the morning. Always excited like a kid at Christmas time.

o

well considering theres nothing i love more than sitting on my ass doing nothing, looks like i`am set for retirement.

o

bill h,

Careful - with all that "sitting" ...

... you may not be in for a long retirement!

Keep fit.

Body.

Mind.

Emotions.

Spirit.

Confining one's self to sitting on one's ass ...

... gets *awfully* boring!

Soon!

Don't believe it?

Ask those who've been there!

Good wishes for an interesting retirement.

o j

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Retirement Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here