Return to the Retirement Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Affordable 55+ Communities in Maine?

Posted by danpv (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 28, 07 at 19:24

Greetings,

I just turned 55 last month and can't be happier to age-qualify for seniors only housing.

Unlike many, I'm planning to relocate back to the snow belt from sunny Southern California where I've spent too many years.

I'm particularly interested in retirement communities in Maine, my original home state and I've been doing lots of searching online. I've tried AARP, senior websites, State Senior/Elder services, realtor sites, SeniorNet, Mature Living Choices, etc, etc - enough searching to choke a moose.

Apparently seniors in Maine retirement communities are millionaires because the cost of most housing geared to seniors is outta sight. I could tell you some small horror stories I've already encountered, but I won't bore you. Okay, just one: purchase a free standing "cottage" starting in the low $300Ks, then pay two types of HOA fees; one (about $300/mo) for most utilities and maintenance, then another HOA-like fee of $300/mo as a "site fee" - like a land lease. And all this for an "independent living" arrangement in Topsham, with no additional services or amenities. Other communities in Belfast, Camden, York, Portland are even more expensive.

Simple "independent living" apartments often start at over $2000 per month. And of course, purchasing a condo or free standing "cottage" is generally much more expensive - and often require hefty "buy-in" fees in addition to purchase price.

I'm most interested in finding a bare-bones, no frills seniors only apartment/condo complex to rent until I can decide where I want to put down roots.

If any of you have specific recommendations about seniors-only rental apartments in Southern Maine especially, please advise.

Many thanks,

-Dan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Affordable 55+ Communities in Maine?

hope this helps.

Here is a link that might be useful: Q&A from people in maine

o

Thanks for the Maine link. I'll check it out.

o

Dan - You are too young to commit yourself to a Sr. Community. It sounds like what you are checking out is for one step before assisted living which can be very expensive. Why not find a nice apartment to live in while you check out your prospective area?

We lived in an over 55 community in So. Cal with no amenities or facility for further care; just 350 duplexes. At times it was so depressing to see the daily paramedic visit to the neighborhood and people who were old beyond their years who were just 'there'.

No matter where you land, be sure to lock in who shovels/plows snow; off-street parking, etc. I have a friend with emphasyma here in upstate NY who lives in a Sr. residence and she has to shovel out her car and move it so that the guy can plow the parking lot!!!!!!!

o

WantToRetire, I appreciate your input, but the thought of renting an apartment (kids and other unruly types) is abhorrent at my age.

But you are correct about retirement developments being expensive. Even "independent living" facilities apartments (1+1) start at over $2300/month rent only.

Some 55+ developments in Southern Maine where one might buy a stand-alone condo charge low six figures as a buy-in fee, then there's the cost of the actual condo itself - from the high $200Ks to over a half million. HOAs and remaining utilities are extra of course.

One 55+ development I investigated charges two monthly fees for those who buy stand-alone condos: the first is a "land rent" fee of $500/month, then there's the usual HOA fee of $300 to $400/month for utilities, outside maintenance, etc.

o

Dampy, I have EXACTLY your thought...I'll be 53 in October, and I can hardly wait to be able to qualify for 55+ housing. I'm soo tired of drugged out rude, ignorant loud inconsiderate losers around me. I just want to be in a quiet community where most everyone behaves and is considerate of their neighbor. Any 55+ community that I've ever visited is like that. I, too, am looking in Maine, only because my married daughter will probably be there in the next year or so. If I move there, I MIGHT qualify for low income housing because I can't seem to make any money on real estate, so that might help. Can you hide your money in a mattress for a couple years? No, I'm not really kidding.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Retirement Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here