SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
danpv

Affordable 55+ Communities in Maine?

danpv
16 years ago

Greetings,

I just turned 55 last month and can't be happier to age-qualify for seniors only housing.

Unlike many, I'm planning to relocate back to the snow belt from sunny Southern California where I've spent too many years.

I'm particularly interested in retirement communities in Maine, my original home state and I've been doing lots of searching online. I've tried AARP, senior websites, State Senior/Elder services, realtor sites, SeniorNet, Mature Living Choices, etc, etc - enough searching to choke a moose.

Apparently seniors in Maine retirement communities are millionaires because the cost of most housing geared to seniors is outta sight. I could tell you some small horror stories I've already encountered, but I won't bore you. Okay, just one: purchase a free standing "cottage" starting in the low $300Ks, then pay two types of HOA fees; one (about $300/mo) for most utilities and maintenance, then another HOA-like fee of $300/mo as a "site fee" - like a land lease. And all this for an "independent living" arrangement in Topsham, with no additional services or amenities. Other communities in Belfast, Camden, York, Portland are even more expensive.

Simple "independent living" apartments often start at over $2000 per month. And of course, purchasing a condo or free standing "cottage" is generally much more expensive - and often require hefty "buy-in" fees in addition to purchase price.

I'm most interested in finding a bare-bones, no frills seniors only apartment/condo complex to rent until I can decide where I want to put down roots.

If any of you have specific recommendations about seniors-only rental apartments in Southern Maine especially, please advise.

Many thanks,

-Dan

Comments (5)

Sponsored