SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
farmerkaren

A Will-how

farmerkaren
9 years ago

MM (Mountain Man) and I are making wills. We do not have much so our four adult children are not getting much. They know this and for right now could care less and don't want to talk about it. We want the wills for our own peace of mind.

I found an on-line form that suits us perfectly and pertains to our state laws. Our deed for house and 7 acres states survivorship. And in the will form we give everything to each other.

There is nothing really to probate because our 'estate' dose not amount to much except for the property. We have already made a separate list of normal household stuff they may want. We have no bills other than utility and taxes. Property taxes are inexpensive in WV because we get homestead exemption. Our D will be the Executor because she is a state away and the rest are not as close. We cannot afford a lawyer no matter the fee.

When the last one of us dies or we die together then we are left with the subject of our property which is our concern.

What if we die together? Then we thought what if... What if one of them wants the property?
So then we thought we need this option in our wills. Should they want to purchase they would need to buy out the other siblings shares at fair market value.

We have doubts if any one of them would want the place. One of our sons is a Monk so he cannot own anything at all and he would give his share to the Catholic Church. The rest live in other states. We are in a small rural are of WV and there are zip jobs here. We do not know if any of them will change their mind in the future so we want to give them the option.

Or the place could be sold and monies divided.

The better way would give them all the option. Our Eldest (Monk) would then still benefit.

So could we just add survivorship to the property for all 4 children equally in the event we die together? It is my understanding that property would not need go through probate. Would we need to change the deed?

I would be interested in your thoughts? As I said we cannot afford a lawyer right now.

We have no other concerns for anything else at this time. We just want to get the wills in place. MM goes to the VA so all his medical is covered. He can be buried in the VA cemetery without cost. He wants to be buried. I would just like to be cremated and my ashes 'visit' his plot permanently in some fashion. (I have not figured out how my ashes might decide to do this...I & myself have not had a discussion yet) Our Monk may not like that but it is what I want . We have living wills.

Thank you for any ideas. Karen

Comments (12)

Sponsored