Return to the Retirement Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
re: 'Limited Liability Corporation'

Posted by Sue_VA (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 5, 02 at 15:00

I am considering moving into a (for-profit)Retirement Community that is owned by two individuals operating as a LLC.
Can someone explain to me in layman's language what this means to me as a resident living there?
Thanks,
Sue

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: re: 'Limited Liability Corporation'

Sue, an LLC is like a corporation except for some different tax and other rules affecting the LLC members.

o

Gina,
Thanks for the reply. What I need to know is what the limitations are that would affect me. For instance, if they should fall on hard times and claim bankruptcy?
Sue

o

If they started falling on hard times, they would probably sell out. Where you would wind up is hard to say as it would depend on the terms of the sale. Sometimes, not always, the buyer is not bound by any previous agreement that the firm might have had with the residents.

You need to look into this very carefully before you commit to a long term agreement.

One thing you can count on is that since this is a for-profit business, the easiest way to make a profit is to increase fees.

o

Aileen,
Thanks for the insight. I am trying to learn what I can about these things so I will know how to ask the right questions.
I will have a lawyer look over the contract if I decide to make the move. He should be able to have access to the details of their business, and can advise me.
You are right about raising fees. That is mentioned in the contract.
Any other thoughts or suggstions appreciated.
Sue

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Retirement Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here