Return to the Retirement Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Social Security COLA this year?

Posted by jannie (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 2, 11 at 9:06

Does anyone know? There hasn't been a raise in two years. Is one planned for 2012? I used to work for Social Security, and they'd make the announcement around October 1, but I'm out of the loop, no longer keep in touch with co-workers. The last time I visited my old office, I didn't recognize anyone. My hubby is on SSA Disability, about to turn 65, tho his full retirement age is 66. I'd just like to know if he's getting an increase. Our food and travel costs certainly have gone up in the last year, so don't tell me there's no inflation and I shouldn't be greedy!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cost of Living?

To answer my own question, the Commissioner of Social Security has asked Congress for a 3.5 % increase next year. If approved, it will be the first increase in 3 years!

o
RE: Social Security COLA this year?

Prospects are good for an increase beginning Jan. 2012. However, many might not see much of an an increase at all since most of it will be absorbed by higher Medicare premiums.

Announcement should be soon.

o

It will be announced October 19.

o

And the answer is.... 3.6% Beginning December 30, 2011.

http://www.ssa.gov/pressoffice/pr/2012cola-pr.html

Here is a link that might be useful: SS

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Retirement Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here