Return to the Retirement Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
?? about soc sec

Posted by garden_graphic_gal (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 11, 06 at 21:29

My DH is planning on retiring at age 60(in 5 months). He has pensions in 2 states and I will continue to work. I am wondering how much he will lose in social security by doing this. I know that the last few years of working income affect what your SS payments will be.

Does anybody know if there is a formula or something that will help me to figure out what his SS payments might be if he does not work those last 2 years before retiring at age 62 ?? TIA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ?? about soc sec

From the SS web site:

Q. Are my benefits figured on my last five years of earnings?
A. No. Retirement benefit calculations are based on your average earnings during a lifetime of work under the Social Security system. For most current and future retirees, we will average your 35 highest years of earnings. Years in which you have low earnings or no earnings may be counted to bring the total years of earnings up to 35.

Here is a link that might be useful: social security benefits

o

devorah~ Thank you so much for your answer. I kept trying the SS website last night and I had trouble accessing it.

o

Garden Graphic, the biggest "hit" your husband will have to take is the reduction of taking early benefits at age 62 rather than waiting for "full retirement", which used to be age 65 but is being gradually raised to 67, depending on the year of birth. Make sure you get this information when you use the SSA website.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Retirement Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here