Return to the Retirement Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
active , 'green' retirees,,2nd home wants?

Posted by fallingwaters (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 13, 08 at 20:43

as i posted on the buying and selling board,,i'm thinking hard about developing my few acres into a tiny second or retiree home community.
i already have a lot in my favor,,the location near to culture and popular small cities,an adjacent ski area,miles of trails and woods to hike,snowshoe,etc.
i'm very concerned that if i 'just'sell lots,i may have homes built which would detract from this land,so i'm thinking about a 'green' community of small single level cottages for the active person. shared,maintained water and energy systems,gardens,driveways,etc will be features,,what else would you like if you were considering such a home? i know what i want,but my wants may be different than yours.
thanks for your input,i hope this will be a positive back and forth of ideas!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: active , 'green' retirees,,2nd home wants?

Good question. I would definitely want an eat-in kitchen and LOTS OF STORAGE SPACE. Most retirement homes don't have enough of the latter.

I like the idea of hiking trails and I am a gardener and would love the opportunity for a garden.

o
RE: active , 'green' retirees,,2nd home wants?

Open floor plan, wide doorways, ramps instead of steps, all cabinets fully accessible (none overhead).

Basically, universal design with as much handicapped accessible as possible.

I'm not "there" yet but I feel for folks that are forced to move from their homes for physical reasons.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Retirement Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here