SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dirtgirldiana1

adjusting to retirement

dirtgirldiana1
15 years ago

Hi...I usually hang out on the gardening forums but thought I'd pop in here since I've recently retired...anyway..

My employer was doing layoffs this past May. Word was my co-worker was going to be let go. He was a good friend and had a family to take care of, so I stepped forward and offered to be let go instead of him. So, after working over 30 years through the state I was able to retire at 50.

One of the things I find myself missing is hearing someone compliment me. IÂve always been a hard worker and was often told how much my work was appreciated. (They werenÂt happy that I volunteered to go) My co-workers and I often gave each other compliments. I donÂt mean to sound egotistical but itÂs nice to hear someone tell you that you look nice today or notice a different hairstyle.

My husband and I have a pretty good relationship but he is a little short on giving compliments.

I have a lot of things I need to be doing. Like, getting my house organized and pulling the weeds out of my garden. I feel as though IÂm in a rut. IÂm thrilled that my life belongs to me now and not to my job. I have no desire to go back to working. Is there an adjustment period on not having to go to a job but to make yourself work for yourself?

Diana

Comments (7)

Sponsored