Return to the Retirement Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Have any of you moved for a drier climate, and did it help?

Posted by devorah (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 14, 06 at 14:50

Have any of you with RA, lupus, or fibro moved to a drier climate and did it really help you? My husband and I aren't thrilled at the prospect of moving south and leaving behind friends and family, but I seem to feel so much better in Arizona than I do here in wet Washington. It is already dark and raining here with daytime temps in the 50s and nightime in the 40s and I am not feeling at all well.
Our other dilemma is that my husband doesn't want to retire until he is 70 which would mean another 10 years to endure the cold. I am the one who is diabetic in addition to my other problems, so I am the one who incurs most of the medical expenses that are currently covered so I don't feel like I am in much of a position to object.

I also think that the gargantuan chore of moving is probably easier at 65 or 66 than it is at 70. What has your experience been?

I am going to post this in the Health forum as well.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Have any of you moved for a drier climate, and did it help?

When I was a kid, back in the mid '40's, Dad was a farmer near here, London, Ontario (I'm now sitting a mile and a half from our old farm, and live within about eight miles of it). Nestled as we are among the Great Lakes, and blessed with a substantial amount of air pollution, about half of it originating from the U.S., a substantial portion of that from those dirty coal-fired generating plants down in the Ohio valley, Dad was having trouble with bronchitis and feared that he was developing asthma.

After some (rather inconclusive) testing, and discussion with the doctor, he spent some time on the Canadian Prairies and found that he felt much better there, so moved there.

He share-cropped a farm for a few years, then bought his own.

He moved out there in 1946 and died in 1986 - after enjoying 40 years of good health in the dry prairie air of Saskatchewan.

My brother, recently retired from farming that farm, rents the parts of it that he hasn't sold, to sons of his best friend and continues to live in his nice home on it.

Dad's trouble was bronchitis and incipient asthma, not the illnesses which you report.

Also, my other brother returned to this area few few years later, stayed with stepmother's brother and bought step-grandma's farm.

He had a son that had serious breathing problems. After a few experiences of rushing him to the hospital, and worried that some day they might not make it on time ... they too sold their farm and moved to the Prairies, living in Edmonton, mid-Alberta, for a time, then moving to a farm near there.

Their son has had quite good health out there and lives and works in Edmonton.

I hope that you can find a solution to your problem that works out well for you. Suffering from ongoing illness is no picnic, for sure.

ole joyful

o

I would readily consider moving to the American prairie states for the drier air, and open spaces but my husband has absolutely no tolerance for cold. He finds even the 40s to be uncomfortable. That only leaves the desert southwest I think. He did tell me that he wasn't serious about working until he is 70. Right now he has taken on the gargantuan job of terracing our entire backyard and building a workshop for himself. All that sweat equity will be hard to walk away from - that and our new granddaughter who currently lives just two hours away.

o

Aren't their areas in WA that are less wet> We looked quite a bit and found the area away from the coast and down in the souther area, near the Ore border had good weather. Around Kelso. Long Beach etc. Could you talk install a dehumidifer? We have one hooked up to our Air Condentioner/Heater. Talk to plumber or some place like Home Depot. Even the type of furniture, house plants, yard all play into this. I hope things work out.

o

mariend,

I seldom see/hear the word "Kelso" with regard to WA - not a large city.

My Dad had a cousin who operated a lumberyard there for many years - I visited them in '53 when on my way to Korea to help some refugees get their lives restarted (as a missionary sent by a liberal Protestant church, The United Church of Canada).

Some time ago, on Quitnet.org, a website helping people quit smoking (and other addictions), someone quoted a story about Quitnet from The London Free Press, our local newspaper ... which just about caused me to swallow my false teeth, as one does not expect to see his local newspaper quoted on an international website.

So - I wrote the woman who initiated the thread.

She wrote back to say that I'd had dinner at her home within the previous year. She lives about 50 miles from the city, was in my congregation when I was minister there, 25 years ago - and yes, she used to smoke, more or less like a chimney.

She'd lost a young daughter to cancer some years previously, about the age of my daughter, and we used to like to drop in for a visit when daughter came up for a weekend with me.

Interesting, isn't it, where a reference to some small item/town will lead one's thoughts?

Hope you're having a fall that's memorable for good reasons.

ole joyful

o

Kelso gets more rain, cold and fog than Seattle - at least I think so. I made a study of the area when I was doing a history of the Weyerhaeuser operation in Washington.

Our plans for moving to AZ may have shifted. My husband found out today that he too is diabetic. That pulls down our life expectency a whole lot and makes me wonder if we wouldn't be better off staying near family. My fibromyalgia is a real pain in the butt, but it won't kill me. I have a friend who left for retirement in Arizona on Sunday. It will be good to see how she finds it there.

o

Would it be possible to "snow bird" it and spend only the bad parts of the year in a condo or an RV resort in the southwest? So you could keep your home up where it is now? We are considering doing that when we retire (in 20 years!).

KMK

o

I was having some chest pain on Wednesday and when I called my Dr. he told me to go straight to the ER - no passing go or collecting $200. After lots of tests, it turns out my heart is fine. It was asthma causing the problem and the reason I feel better in a drier climate is that there are so many fewer molds, mildews etc. than there are here in rainy Washington. An inhaler should solve most of my problems, but I will still want to investigate going somewhere that it isn't necessary to carry that around with me.

We still have at least 5 years before my husband retires, so we will have time to visit other areas and weigh various possibilities.

I would still like to know if there is anyone out there who moved to a drier climate for their health and if it helped.

o

I have UCTD which acts like lupus and myositis. I live in Albuquerque, where it is very dry and fairly warm. I have a very difficult time here because I am highly photosensitive. The UV rays in the southwest are very intense, and unfortunately, exposure to the sun triggers my flares. The dry climate may help you, but if you are photosensitive, I would steer clear.

o

devorah,
I live in WA also and my husband is about 19 months away from retirement and then we will be moving to north eastern WA. It has a very dry climate and we both feel alot better over there than on the westside! My nose is stuffy almost all year except when I go over to our property in NE WA. It is not that far away so that we can visit family and friends not to mention the cost of living is cheaper!! Check it out!!!

o

so, somewhere around Colville? lovely, but my husband can't take the cold. I am afraid that all of Eastern Washington is too cold for him. If I had my druthers, and cold wasn't a problem I would seriously consider Sisters, Oregon. I just love it there.

o

Devorah- funny you should have that name- I get mail to 'devorah' many times (my name is Deborah). Anyway, I have severe asthma, moderate to severe osteo arthritis, and very advanced degenerative disc disease. My knees were so bad in the morning, that I had to sit on the edge of the bed for awhile before I could walk to the bathroom. I lived in Michigan, then Florida. I was always with a cough- the 'every 15 seconds, hacky kind'. I moved to the semi desert/prairie area. Immediately, my cough was gone. A bit later, I realized one day that my knees did not hurt. The dry climate helped me greatly. I just had allergy testing 2 months ago- I am allergic to 91 different things, from trees to animals to dust mites to pollens, molds, weeds, grain dust. My asthma is now very severe, and I started Xolair. So, in the beginning, the drier climate helped. The doc said it takes about 3 years for your body to start making your body sensitive to whatever is around. It is both very hot here in the summers-105 degrees or hotter, and 20 degrees below zero in the winter. I will be moving to the central Texas area, and was afraid that it would not be a good thing to do- but doc said it didn't matter- I would be allergic to anywhere in the US. The best place for me would be on the prairie, away from farmland. Impossible. Story said, maybe it would be best for you to find out what you are allergic to- Here, there are many outside antagonists- grass, weeds, corn, wheat, barely, all sorts of grasses/hay. The fields have mold in the damp ground. There is dust in the air. So, it depends on what you are allergic to. As far as arthritis, I am severely affected with osteo, and it was like night and day- it was so much better in the dry climate! You must always have your inhaler with you- if it is of the rescue type-Proventil, Albuterol. You can't take a chance of not having it, then have an attack- no medicine, and you might be somewhere looking at
petroglyphs- or something equally as far away from an Emergency Room. Trust me on this one- as both an asthma patient, and an RN. I can't help you with any of the other diseases, though. Good luck on finding a place.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Retirement Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here