Return to the Retirement Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
annuity question

Posted by oldgraymare (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 26, 11 at 14:00

I just turned 56 and I retired 2 months ago. I was thinking about putting money into a aarp immediate annuity. I would receive monthly payments starting the next month.I would use Money from a ira that I have. My question is... since I am not 59 1/2, would I have to pay the 10% penalty on the monthly money I receive??? AARP says no but I cant find any concrete answer on this. I would also be pulling out of my 401 to supplement this. I can pull out of my 401 penalty free under the rule of 55 law. AARP charges no fee for this service and the same one at Fidelity charges 2% a yr... which can add up! Thanks for any opinions!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: annuity question

I don't think so. You can avoid the early withdrawal penealty for IRAs by taking out what are called "substantially equal periodic payments" for at least five years or until the IRA owner reaches 59 1/2, whichever is later, but a SEPP account wouldn't be the same as a fixed annuity. The IRS-acceptable methods for calculating the amount of the SEPP withdrawal wouldn't give the same result as an insurance company would normally use to calculate a monthly payment on an immediate annuity contract. They are really apples and oranges.

You could set up a SEPP acount to use until you turn 59 1/2 and then use any of the IRA and/or the 401K to fund the immediate annuity. SEPP accounts are very tricky, however, and it would be best to have professional help.

To be honest, I think that's where you should go with this question. The answer I gave is what I think is true, but I'm by no means sure. This is a complex area and you're unlikely to find someone with real expertise on a public forum like this.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Retirement Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here