SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dreamgarden_gw

Elderly Couple Forced into State Custody

dreamgarden
14 years ago

Here is a story that explains why it is important to make sure you have an advocate (guardian) who can help out in the event you are temporarily incapacitated.

Elderly Couple Forced into State Custody

Aug 25, 2009

DALLAS - Theyre not criminals. TheyÂve broken no laws. But theyÂre being held against their will by the State of Texas. Why? ItÂs a tragic story about what can happen when you are alone in the world and lose control of your rights, your money, and your ability to complain.

Michael Kidd worked as an engineer at KDFW for 23 years. He retired in 2001 with a pension, retirement account, and social security. Last month, he called the station for help. The Kidds have no children or relatives nearby. In November Michael fell and broke his hip. He was taken to a Plano hospital and into surgery. After a few days, the hospital called the state Adult Protective Services to report Jean had been in the waiting room for days and wasnÂt eating. What happened next is a complicated, legal tale told in hundreds of pages of documents filed with the Collin County Probate Court.

Caseworkers paint a picture of two incompetent old people, age 67 and 70, suffering from dementia. Reports say the Kidds have mismanaged their finances and used poor judgment, that Michael is verbally abusive and even attempted to assault Jean. Michael says Jean has memory trouble but denies everything else. A judge determined the Kidds were incapacitated and unable to care for themselves. The state took over the Kidds lives, sent them to the Countryside Nursing Home in Pilot Point, and is now burning through their money to pay for their care.

"You have no idea how much money you have?" Oliver asked Michael Kidd. "None at all," Kidd responded. "I know what my income was and I know it was more than enough to take care of my bills. Now, I am deteriorating instead of getting better," Kidd continued.

The monthly tab for a couple at Countryside is about seven thousand dollars. Court records show, for five months care, the guardian paid eleven thousand dollars out of the Kidds accounts. The stateÂs Medicaid program kicks in the rest. "I could be at the Hilton for this kind of money," Kidd told Oliver.

The state appointed a financial guardian in Greenville to manage the Kidds money and pay their bills. When they asked for an accounting, the state refused. Representatives for the state stated the Kidds did not have the mental capacity to even ask for their own financial or medical records. Yet, much of their personal information is public record. The state tried to get a temporary restraining order to stop FOX 4 from reporting the Kidds story, saying the couple does not have the authority to consent to an interview and that our report will cause them irreparable harm. Judge Weldon Copeland ruled against the state. He said he would welcome a neighbor or family member to serve as a guardian but no one has come forward. The state is the last resort."

A link that might be useful:

www.myfoxdfw.com/dpp/news/investigative/

Elderly_Couple_Forced_into_St

Comments (2)

Sponsored