Return to the Retirement Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I got to retire

Posted by Ilene29 (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 18, 02 at 10:58

This is only my second day since i have retire.
I worked at the univesty of mo. and they had a buget cut here and layed off some people and they did a early retirment and i got to retire with full benifits. I had been working for the universty for 33 years.and if you add your age and how long you have been there you can retire with full benifits. and mine was enough. And what is good about it is that my husband is on disabuilt and we went to get a
rv and go plces now and i think that we can do what we want to do we don't have any kids.We are going on a vacation next week and we are going to go to Minnesota and Wisconson.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I got to retire

Congratulations on your Retirement! Sounds like you will be keeping yourself busy traveling-that's wonderful. KathyO

o

Enjoy your retirement! We recently bought a small RV and will be taking our first trip (to Calif.) in it soon. I'm claustrophobic and I'm not sure that I will feel comfortable sleeping in it, but I'll give it a try. I hope you and your husband have a wonderful trip to Minnesota and Wisconsin. Bettye/AZ

o

hi Mamatoad How was the trip tp california? We travel about four months during the winter mostly between Minnesota and Texas.We have a travel trailor (our fourth) and it is 31 foot long with a double slide so we have plenty of room now.we started out with a 19foot and a tent with 7 kids so now it is just the two of us we are fine with the trailor. Hope you enjoyed the trip and living in the trailor .

o

Illene, I'd suggest you sit down and do a good study of your retirement income and how you're going to spend it. Do you really want to blow it all on one quick trip across the country?

Sorry, but it's pretty obvious from your message that you weren't a professor with full tenure/benefits.

RV'ing can be a wonderful life, but it can also provide you with "a little too much closeness" that you might not like so soon after retiring after dealing with lots of different people.

In any case, good luck.

o

Sam's Club stores has a big RV community. They have maps of places to pull in along the way and clubs. Check it out. It is nice to be alone but nicer to be among those with the same interests too.

o

We will be goning on another trip soon and money is no pooblem with us. we have saved our money. And we will be able to do what we want to do.

o

One of my closest friends and her husband retired 5 years ago. They bought a used RV and have traveled across the U.S. every year. They moved from Massachusetts to Alabama and they go back to MA every Christmas season and stay until mid-January. Their children all live in that area and they have a wonderful time making the trip each year and driving across the country in the summer. They are usually gone for 5 of 6 months. I loved their RV. It was really a home on the road with all of the conviences. They are loving it, while I am still working and won't get to retire for at least 10 months. My friends planned their retirement and investments very well. I wish I had done the same.

o

Yeah, and I worked with two people that ditched their respective spouses, took "early retirement", sold their houses, bought an RV, and were back in town in nine months looking for their old jobs back, divorcing and royally pissed off at one another.

You need to have 'own space"

o

Ilene, that sounds wonderful to me......I say go for it.....I can tell you that not everyone has trouble spending that much close time with their husbands. I have several friends that are doing it and having a bblast.....We have talkied about it but don't know if we will....I love gardening and animals etc so we may just hang our hats in one area but I do think it would be fun. I am positive I wouldn't have trouble spending 24/7 with my mate, in fact I can't wait....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Retirement Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here