Return to the Retirement Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need recommendation!

Posted by adamina (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 17, 07 at 7:49

Hi everyone,
I am new here; I want to learn about nursing homes because I am going to place my mom & dad. Before which I want to know all facilities provided by the nursing homes. Can anyone tell me a right place where I can get right information about it?
Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need recommendation!

Do you have a public health unit in your area?

Do you have a seniors' centre in the community?

Seniors' department in your local newspaper? Talk to the contributing editor.

Church or other religious organization? Many of them have groups for seniors, and if you were to attend a meeting I'll bet you'd get some useful information. Plus the leaders usually have some useful information about that field.

Either of them should be able to offer advice, or steer you in the right direction.

On the other hand ... are your parents only marginally unable to manage in their own home?

If you check the prices of retirement homes, and especially nursing homes, they may make your hair stand on end.

If your parents don't have need of substantial health-related care, it might be helpful for them to continue in their home, with some helpers coming in occasionally, even almost daily, to assist them.

Good wishes for being able to get a full picture of the resources available.

ole joyful

o

Yes! Of course, there is a site called http://www.nursinghomecenters.org/ which provides all selective information related to nursing home. Hope this will help you out.
Good luck!

o

Here are two sources of info that might be useful. The second link has a wealth of information. I pasted just a tiny portion below.

Assisted living at your doorstep. By Jay MacDonald
www.bankrate.com/brm/news/ insurance/20060815a1.asp?prodtype=pfin -

HOW GOOD ARE YOUR STATE'S NURSING HOMES?
www.consumersunion.org/health/nursing-rpt603.htm

WHAT'S A FAMILY TO DO?

Families that have time to shop for a nursing home for a relative should first look at the Consumers Union Nursing Home Watch List, available on the Web by clicking here.

If you can, avoid those facilities that have been on all three lists as well as the list for "yo-yo" compliance. In some areas, particularly rural locations, there may be few choices for families. Better facilities might be full, and the only facility accepting new admissions may be one of the homes on our lists. If you find yourself with that choice, you need to take additional steps.

Obtain the state survey report that must be posted in every facility. Some facilities don't make the state report readily available, so you may have to be persistent in finding it. See what deficiencies the facility has been cited for. If the nursing home, for example, has failed to provide adequate hydration for residents, you will have to make sure your relative gets enough fluids to drink. If the facility has been cited because residents have bed sores, you will have to make sure precautions are taken so your relative does not develop them.

Be extra vigilant and visit the facility often. If you have to use a nursing home where consumers are at high risk for receiving questionable care, you will have to keep close tabs on the facility to make sure your family member is well cared for.

Get involved in the initial care planning that all facilities are required to do for each resident. Once the plan is in place, make sure that it is followed and when your relative has different needs, make sure the facility administrator knows what they are so the care plan can be appropriately modified.

Join the family council that most facilities have established. Banding together with other families and speaking up when care is not good can bring positive changes that will improve the quality of life your relative experiences.

o

Don't waste your time and good advice, folks.

This poster is a spammer. S/he posts a question, then a day or two later answers it him/herself with -- surprise! -- a link to a commercial web site. GardenWeb has removed most of his/her posts from other forums.

o

Check small surrounding towns. In my research I found them to be better than the big city homes. Quite often the small town residents helped build the home and run them. Also check online for your states care home ratings. And remember the results is only a guide line. Visit the places you are interested in. good luck

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Retirement Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here