SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joyfulguy

Simple safety measures for singles, apartment-dwellers

joyfulguy
20 years ago

Some years ago our local small-town municipality built an apartment residence, mostly for seniors.

Some members of the church where I was minister moved in. A number of the residents knew one another from before. Several lived alone.

I asked them whether, if the inhabitant of the neighbouring apartment knocked on the wall, could they hear it? Most said that they could.

I suggested that, as they knew each other's habits, that the first one to go to bed knock on the wall just prior to retiring and the resident of the neighbouring apartment could answer.

That way each knew that the other was O.K at bedtime.

They could carry out the same routine with the person occupying the apartment on the other side.

In the morning, the last one to rise could knock on the wall, and the other knock in reply - so they'd know that each was O.K. in the morning.

If one needed help, they could knock on the wall, say three times, then wait a few seconds and knock three times again. If they could manage to get to the wall.

That might not offer as much security, as the expected listener might be out, busy partying or doing other noisy things, etc. so might not hear the knocking.

I thought that it could offer some peace of mind to residents, at minimal expenditure of time or effort - and no cash.

Though I didn't check much - I don't know whether anyone used the idea. I don't remember hearing of it, if they did.

Some people establish telephone chains, to call one to another, then the next through a prepared list each morning. If the last person doesn't receive a call from the second last on the list by, say, 10 o'clock, s/he begins calling back up the list until they find out who didn't call, and whether there is a problem that needs attention.

It is more interesting if the sequence can be varied so that each one calls a different person from time to time, so that each doesn't just talk to the same person all the time.

It's a good idea to have more than one phone, with at least one on a table with cord hanging down so that one can reach it while lying on the floor. A wall phone might as well be on another planet, if one can't get off the floor.

Quite a number around here wear that push-button alarm on a necklace or wrist band that, through their phone, alerts a central centre, who then call helper(s). Some just buzz, some allow speaking, I think. Something like $30. start-up and $30. monthly.

Hope some of you can use one of these ideas - or perhaps it will spur your thinking to arrange something similar which could offer you and some others more peace of mind.

Let's share such ideas which might be helpful.

joyful guy

Comments (5)

Sponsored