Return to the Retirement Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Former employer will not pay retirement

Posted by scarlett2001 (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 16, 11 at 23:24

This is so weird! I have Social and major retirement from the company I last worked for, but one former employer is dragging its feet with my retirement. They confirmed that I was eligible to recieve it in July, then..nothing. Now it's mid-August. I called and they said they are "really backed up" and I will get it "later". Oh, and that it would be retroactive to July. Is this legal? It is Ralphs Grocery company, a major grocery chain in CA with assets of several billion. And they can't pay my retiremnt on time? Good thing I'm not depending on it. Can I request interest? It's a crumby company anyway, IMHO. That's why I left after 8 years.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Former employer will not pay retirement

Were you in a union? I'd contact the California Division of Labor Standards and file a complaint.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dept of Labor Standards

o

No, I was in management. The Labor Board says it all depends on whether the company is part of ERISA and I don't know how to find that out.

o

Try Googling ERISA and Ralph's Grocery, and there are references, Hope that helps.

o

If that were me, I'd have called my lawyer weeks ago. Sounds as if that would be a good next step. Have you considered it?

o

For other's information, if you plan to request the start of retirement payments from a company. Submit a written request at least 60 day before the date you wish payments to start. (But not too much earlier as it may bet lost.) Hopefully, the OP has already begun to receive her payments.

o

Yes, I did do everything I was supposed to and FNALLY they paid up.

o

From August ... till December ...

... that's four months, if you don't count August: still leaves one finger when counting on my hand.

Glad it got straightened out to your satisfaction, Scarlett 2001.

ole joyful

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Retirement Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here