Return to the Retirement Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Retirees: What would you have done differently?

Posted by sunrisegirl (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 21, 02 at 21:36

What would you have done differently before you retired? Retired sooner, later. Saved more, spent more??? Help a girl out. I'm 60 and still have time to change!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Retirees: What would you have done differently?

Make sure that if you retire early you have insurance and enough money to pay for the big increases. I know of several people who had husbands that had company insurance, when the husband went on Medicare at 65 the Insurance goes up and I mean way up......not fair. Long term Insurance is a must.

o

Thanks, I just took out longterm care insurance. I don't know how anyone can afford it after 59 yrs as it is so expensive already $112 a month for a medium amount per day.

o

I would have worked longer but due to health I left a fairly good paying job. NOW I wish I would have worked a few more years and socked those paychecks away for a rainy day.

o

My husband lost his job at 60 so after working ar whatever he could find he retired at 63 and I retired at 62.We get along just fine on our social socurity and his small pension. We both had good 401ks and savings and we live modestly so do about what we want.I am glad we retired when we did.We travel volunteer and have fun.

o

Our retirement was perfect. The only thing I would suggest is nursing home care insurance, but ONLY if you have a spouse. We did not have it because the last time I checked only 10% of the population goes to a care home, we gambled. My husband has been diagnosed with Alzhiemers and it would have helped me if he has to go to a care home. I will keep him at home as long as I can. If he does have to go, I will get to keep $1,400 of our monthly income and quite a bit of cash. Due to our ages I figured I would outlive him and could use the money for my care because I won't have anyone to help me if I need it. I will be ok and at his age, he may not have to be admitted to a home.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Retirement Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here