Return to the Retirement Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Should I work part time ?-- meaningful activiites?

Posted by kayakershoal (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 25, 07 at 20:01

I am nearing 66 and am working full time (technical professional). I have the option to work part time (50%)as long as I am mentally and physically capable.

How long should I "plan" to work "part time". The money will be nice but not necessary.

Will I be sacrificing truely "meaningful activiites" by complicating retirement with work? Travel has been extensive with current job so travel is not a priority.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Should I work part time ?-- meaningful activiites?

If you don't need the money, I think it depends on if you want to work or not. I am enjoying being idle, no responsibility to anyone but myself. It is a first time for me.

o

Kayaker:
I have been pondering your question, wondering how best to answer. I think, as jonesy said, whether you work or not, is up to you. I think the definition of a meaningful life is very subjective.
DH and I are retired schoolteachers. I absolutely loved my job and colleagues and felt "life was good and meaningful."

Yet, a year ago, we both retired and moved to another state to a town we love which just happens to be where our two
children and grandchildren live. At that time our youngest granddaughter was 6 months old and we babysat her when our daughter went back to work. Life is good and meaningful...but in a different way than before.
We are thankful we can be involved in our children and grandchildren's lives. (Previously, we only saw them four times a year and missed all their birthdays and other special celebrations.)
Both DH and I do not have paying jobs, but we may substitute teach later...if time permits!

o

Same age...my work has gradually decreased being self-employed working w/seniors. Point is, this has prepared me for the decision of retirement. I didn't plan on retiring this soon, but as some clients have gone into assisted-living it does make one think about what is important in life.

I still need to work some for the income & to be fulfilled. As time has gone by I, also, have been spending more time this summer helping a single son with his home & picking up my grandsons to also assist him. THIS togetherness has been most meaningful...how does it get better than that?

If I had been working full time I would have missed out on this opportunity. Simple life, yes, but I love it!

Sharlee

o

Sharlee, I envy you your situation about enjoying your family. My son's both live out of state and the Not Togetherness has been wonderful. Ahhh.............

o

How about volunterr work? After I quit my job, i applied to two cat rescue organizations. Both "approved " me to work with theor cats. It is great being around animals, petting them, and seeing the joy when one finds a "furrever" home.

o

I took partial Social Security benefit at age 62, but kept on working according to the benefit rules on limits of yearly income.

In recent years, my company initiated at-home computer-oriented jobs (professional medical transcriptionist) and this lasted several years, which allowed me to work at my own time without traveling to and from the office. I enjoyed it very much as it was less restricting than an office type job.

Unfortunately, as time went on my hearing declined and this year (I'm 85), I had to say OK - time to quit. Can no longer be accurate enough for this demanding type work.

I wasn't too sure how I'd manage retirement, but I've kept mentally active through the computer programs (especially these "how-to" forums) and have been able to garden, preserve foods, bake breads, make vinegars, etc., all of which have helped keep me mentally alert and interested in life.

I say "go for it."

Bejay

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Retirement Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here