Return to the Retirement Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
have you retired to a town with a higher elevation?

Posted by gandbb (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 24, 04 at 16:46

I have lived all of my life at sea level. When I visit areas at a higher elevation, I have trouble being active because I am so quickly and painfully out of breath. Does one get over that after living with the thinner air for a while? We are looking at the southwest but even Tucson at 2,000+ feet seems pretty high. Please let me know if any of you have had any experience with this problem. Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: have you retired to a town with a higher elevation?

I live in Tucson and have never experienced a problem with breathing.(Came here from New Orleans over forty years ago.) Tucson is considered "low desert" and I doubt that you would be affected by breathing problems here. However, when I go up to Northern Arizona and get up about five thousand feet, I have the same problem. My neighbor moved to Colorado and she assures me that a person does indeed adjust to the higher altitude.
If you need information on Tucson, I'll be happy to provide whatever I can. Bettye/AZ

o

You should not experience any difficulties with that alt. I had to go to 11,000 ft before it bothered me, just walking from the hotel lobby to our cottage left me with a headache and breathing heavily. I took a hike at 8,200 ft with an increase of 600 ft in alt. Nearing the top I had to stop ever 15 or 20 steps to rest. I am sure it was lack of oxygen, but I didn't notice any breathing difficulty like I did at 11,ooo ft.

o

That you, I was worried because I developed chest pains just walking up the steps to Old Main at the U. of A., but I will probably adapt. I was afraid that 57 years of living 20' above sea level had permanently limited my lung capacity.

o

On our trip out west, we were somewhere high in the Rockies, and I remember crying to my husband - "Get me down to sea level"!!!

o

Hi all,

Some find that there's been a " ... higher elevation ... " of prices ...

... of basic necessities, as well as many other things, in recent years.

At least we haven't recently had to suffer the high inflation rates as in early '80s - 12% for a while.

Some older folks chortle about how they made 19% on Canada Savings Bonds about 1981.

When I tell them that they were lucky if they were able to keep about 2 - 3% of that, they say that I'm nuts.

The income tax people want to talk to you about all of your income in any given year, and many were paying at least 25% - which reduced the 19% to about 15%, after-tax.

As you know, $10,000. won't buy as much now as it would ten years ago.

If you buy a guaranteed certificate at the bank, bond, etc. they guarantee to pay every borrowed dollar at maturity.

But don't refer to the other guarantee - they won't pay you a single dollar more, either, above the rent on the money.

So you must deduct the rate of inflation from the interest that they pay to add to the basic asset in order to maintain its purchasing power.

What was the rate of inflation about 1981?

About 12%, as mentioned above.

Which doesn't leave much for the owner of that asset to put into her/his pocket.

When governments borrow huge amonts of money, many owners of money won't lend it to them unless they offer higher rates of interest. Then the prices of goods go up. Resulting in escalating rates of inflation.

I remember an old retired doctor who went to Korea to help cope with the ravages of tuberculosis just after the Korean War, who said that inflation was government theft.

I disagreed heartily at the time.

That was 50 years ago - I don't dispute his claim, now, having become somewhat more knowledgeable during those years: perhaps a little more cynical, as well?

Happy are they who have (at least partial) indexation of pension(s).

Good wishes for good health, enough to live on and good friends during retirement.

ole joyful

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Retirement Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here