Return to the Retirement Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
The Villages - More info. please?

Posted by Stitchem (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 16, 05 at 16:19

Hi Betty in FL,

I so enjoyed and appreciate your comments on living in The Villages. I've been searching for information on living there, and yours was the most helpful that I've seen on any forum. Thank you so much for that!

I'm thinking of moving there, from VA. I have received the CD info pkg that they sent me, and loved it. I'm wondering if you have anymore info from your experiences living there, that I need to look out for. Any warnings? For instance are there a lot of rules or restrictions?

Are there limitations on what you can do to your house? Can I add a porch if it doesn't have one?

I noticed on a home that's listed for sale it refers to "Low Bond Balance". What is that about? I've bought homes before, and there were no bonds involved, so it makes me wonder why there would be a bond.

Also are the homes well-constructed? And is it possible to purchase insurance against hurricanes and wildfires in that area?

I hope you don't mind my questions!
I would appreciate any info from you or anyone else about The Villages.

Thanks so much!
Stitchem

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: The Villages - More info. please?

I don't have much in the way of answers for you, but since haven't had any I will tell you the very little that I know. Acquintences of ours bought in the Villages before being posted to India. They loved their life their so much that they kept their house and rented it out. They have now returned and seem to be very happy.

I have researched retirement communities in other areas and the restrictions are many and the variances granted are few. My brother and sister-in-law live in a Del Webb community. They love it because it restricts their neighbors and that is much more important to them than the restrictions put on themselves. I suppose I might be okay living that kind of life, but my husband would hate it. I am guessing just from the tone of your questions that it wouldn't be right for you either. We actually intend to move to a more, not less urban setting when we retire because we want to have lots of amenities close by.

o
RE: The Villages - More info. please? Followup!

Well, I went there to check it out, and was so impressed that I plan to move there soon! It has all the amenities I could ever imagine wanting, and everyone is so friendly. I think I will love it. Yes there are rules such as no additional fencing, and additions to your house have to be approved. But that doesn't bother me. I'm looking forward to moving there.

o

Oh good. My friend just bought in a planned community northwest of Tucson and I think it will suit her perfectly and I will enjoy visiting there

o

We plan to be carried out of here feet first. However, one never really knows.
jan

o

I'm so glad to hear that you like it there, Gramma Jan. I hope to be moved in there before mid Dec.

I would love to hear about any of your experiences there that you could share.

Do you know if they have some kind of on-line Q&A or discussion forum or board for the newbies?

Thanks,
Stitchem

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Retirement Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here