SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joyfulguy

Retirement at age 34

joyfulguy
18 years ago

A money management magazine to which I subscribe - no ads, so totally subscriber-driven - is celebrating its 25th anniversary and came out with a re-designed, eye-catching cover yesterday.

One article by a young man of 34 described how he has retired and how he is financing his affairs.

Interesting.

My ex-, who was head dietitian in a psychiatric hospital for a number of years, decided to retire over 10 years ago, when she was in mer mid-50s. As there was serious discussion about closing her facility or a smiliar one about 20 miles away, she thought that it would be preferable to take the golden handshake rather than wait for a possible severance package.

She contracted colon cancer slightly under two years ago, and died a year ago July - age 66.

As our offspring said at the time of her death, in the normal course, she'd have retired just over a year earlier - and I added that she'd have been sick for about 3/4 of that year.

As it was, she had ten years to really enjoy life, building miniatures, doing needlework, visiting friends, travelling Florida-Texas (she was a U.S. citizen) for three months every winter in her motor home, etc.

We never know how many years of life are ahead of us.

Or - in how many of those years we may be able to enjoy good health.

As I am thankful to be doing at age 76.

Good wishes to you all for a happy, healthy, reasonably prosperous and fruitful retirement (may I suggest helping others for part of that time?).

ole joyful

Comments (4)

Sponsored