Return to the Retirement Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fall Travel Plans

Posted by Mamatoad (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 31, 03 at 13:15

We love to travel in the Fall. The leaves are so breathtakingly beautiful and we always enjoy Harvest time. We would love to go back to Kentucky in October but are concerned about the weather. Is anyone familiar with that part of the country? We'll be staying about sixty miles south of Louisville or near Elizabethtown. Bettye/Az

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fall Travel Plans

Hi Bettye - we love to travel in the Fall too! We got back from Kentucky about a month ago and the weather was wonderful - got hot after we left. We are going to Savannah and the Carolinas and Colonial Williamsburg on the 26th of this month and we know the weather will be wonderful. Kentucky will be lovely in October too - the Fall is the best in the South. We went to New England last Fall - what a fabulous trip that was! We are going to New York next year in the Fall because we hear that the Hudson Valley is lovely - gonna sneak back into New England also. Hope you have a wonderful time and bring your camera.

o

Fall is fabulous in Ontario - we have those hard maple trees that produce the really tasty syrup: there are many locations where it is available in Ontario and Quebec.

Maple leaves usually turn a brilliant, deep red in late Sept - early Oct.

Memorable- but many of us don't appreciate it adequately, as it's right next door and we can see it every fall.

U.S. Dollars go much farther, here (except buying gas).

My Dad, retired farmer, used to travel from Regina, Saskatchewan, on the central Prairies, going north of Lake Superior and travelling by ferry from Manitoulin Island in Lake Huron, to visit old friends in this area - about 2,000 miles. In three days, driving alone, at age 85.

Brother and I said that he was crazy - but when they're 85, it's a little hard to tell them what to do.

When I told that story to a lady a while ago, her reply was, "Hmmpph! Try (age) 16!"

Teens get rather self-willed at times, as well.

I hope that you're that chipper when you get to age 85. And enjoying good health in a wonderful retirement.

joyful guy

o

My brother and wife were celebrating their 40th anniversary a couple of weeks ago. As I married them, I felt that I really should be there.

It developed that I was free to go.

Left here, 60 miles east of Port Huron, MI, Thursday night after 10.

Travelled via Mackinac Bridge, Marquette, Duluth, Grand Forks, Minot, ND then north-west to Regina, Sask., just under 1,600 mi. in 45 hours. Arrived just before the party was to start.

Had a great time, their son MCing the show, with many relatives and friends in attendance. Several staying at brother's home.

As son (only child) is teaching school and into music, not interested in farming, brother says this is his last year to farm, so the party was for his retirement, as well.

Visited some former colleagues who were missionaries in Korea, now retired, and some friends from seminary days (over 50 years ago). Also former brother-in-law, now remarried to long-term friend who recently was widowed.

Something like 3,500 miles in about 10 days - so spent quite a bit of time in the car.

When I went to buy travel medical insurance for coverage in the U.S., application had about a dozen questions relative to heart, gastric trouble, cancer, AIDS, , chronic illness, regular taking pills, doctor visits, etc.

The lady looked at me and said, "There are very few people over 70 who can answer 'No' to all of those questions".

I said that, having been a clergyperson for a number of years, I've known many people who have suffered illness and death at young ages, so know how fortunate that I am to enjoy good health - and am properly thankful for my good fortune.

Though I grew up on a farm here in Ontario, I lived for a few years on the Prairies and find those wide open spaces and huge skies attractive. With wide expanses of grain, moving in the (almost incessant) wind so that they look a bit like waves on the ocean.

Arrived back home in time for a day-long investment seminar, sponsored by a magazine that carries no advertising. Tonight visited a meeting of subscribers of the same magazine, about 20 people meet monthly to discuss investments for a couple of hours.

The past two weeks have been really great.

Hope you can find time for a memorable fall vacation, as well.

ole joyful

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Retirement Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here