Return to the Retirement Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
help regarding over 55 communities across the country

Posted by cynthia1000 (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 5, 07 at 12:19

My husband and I are interested in retiring to a over 55 year old community. We love the Villagers in Florida - that is a community with almost a town of activities and community based atmosphere. We are interested in any other communities that might be like that anywhere in the US - but possibly in NJ, PA, Fla. or CAlifornia.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: help regarding over 55 communities across the country

Most every state has these communities. Beaware of restrictions of each--how long grandkids can stay, pets, etc.
You might check our AARP to see what is advertised, also the monthly magazines of each state/area, like Midwest Living. Or just type in Retirement Communities in a search engine. If you know the area, you can check out the city websites.
Also find out restrictions about selling etc. Find out about medical in area. That is very important when you get retirment age.
Find out about taxes (state) etc.
Lots to do before you make decisions
Relaives--how far away--what happens if on of you get very sick or needs help.

o

Cynthia,
Sounds as if you prefer sunny climates...is that correct? A good point was made regarding relatives in area wherever you decide to live.

Because my DH was 10yrs older when we moved to a 55+ I sure wasn't prepared for the atmosphere. Sure, there was a golf course, 3 pools, group activities, travel club, etc. This is the West Coast, so Spring, Summer & Fall are lovely.
I personally could not adjust to being around "all those old folks", so just stayed on 3yrs after his passing. Altho' I was 53yrs I personally was too young for all the organized events & there was & still is so much bickering between this particular community of 2000 residents. One thing I did enjoy was the beautiful indoor pool plus library & at times the travel club. It's simply one's choice.
Well, that was 13yrs ago, so I've been leasing out that residence. Am going to try it again in a year & see if time has changed how I feel. What it boils down to, I believe, is a person's attitude. Keeping positive is a must. Instead of hearing, "oh, are you old enough to live here"? Now, I shouldn't be hearing that & if I do I'll take it as a compliment! Hahaa
I recall Betty who used to speak of the Villages in Florida, but did move altho' spared from the storms. Must be a nice area to live.
Have visited my DDad in Arizona which is nice in the Winter months, both Sun City West & friends in Goodyear. It's an idea to rent space for a while to make certain you like an area. A week's visit doesn't give a true picture.
Happiness to you,
Sharlee

o

I live in a Patio home, 95% of the residents are seniors, over 50% of those are widows. There is no organization here, just older people who enjoy each other. We lunch together, travel together, spend money together....LOL We walk every night. The lawn work is done for us, so is the outside painting, gutters, etc... Our builder developed another area of Patio Homes and there is a Red Hat society there. It's the best decision I have made. My husband died last April and I am left in a nice home with friends living around me. It's like family only BETTER!

o

I'm always searching for some type of retirement community, too. Biggest problem being.......MONEY! Not enough of it of course. Had too many medical bills, etc. for awhile, but really hard to get back on ones feet. So still looking for maybe subsidized housing for seniors, or something! Would be willing to work. Anyone else in this situation, and how did you solve it?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Retirement Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here