Return to the Retirement Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Brains and bodies, like muscles, need exercise

Posted by joyfulguy (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 16, 03 at 4:33

What do they say about muscles - "Use them or lose them"?

Seems to me that is true of bodies, as well. No exercise and they get out of shape.

And true of brains - keeping them up to speed and active delays deterioration, it seems to me. Slothful brains get sloppy from underuse, don't you think?

Good wishes for success in preserving your vibrant pursuit of many activities, interests - and new friends (to replace the ones that you lose through relocation or death.

joyful guy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Brains and bodies, like muscles, need exercise

You are so right about not using brains, muscles and bodies. Just in the short time that I have been retired, being that I don't write or read as much as I did before, I have noticed that I have to stop and think about how to spell certain words that I know I would have never had to even think about before now.
I do hope to continue to be active, though. I have many plans for the future and hope that I can carry them out.
Lu

o

Lu - and all,

There's an increasing number of old-timers around to build friendship circles with.

And the younger set, whose parents are too busy to have much time for them, need (substitute) grandparents, now that our actual grandparents often live at least hundreds, even thousands of miles distant.

Good wishes for keeping your mind, body and spirit as active as is possible without being detrimental.

joyful guy

o

Remember how, when you'd spent upwards of a week in bed due to illness ...

... you could hardly walk when you got your feet back on the floor?

Astronauts who've been weightless for a time find it hard to walk on their return.

Good idea to keep exercising not only the various parts of your body, but your brain and spiritual capacity, as well.

Plus family, social and community interests.

Don't go to seed, yet.

Good wishes for a varied, interesting, healthy retirement with lots of friends and things to do,

joyful guy/Ed

o

My most recent comment here was made almost ten years ago ... on the day before my birthday ...

... when I was youngster at 75!

ole joyfuelled ... with a bit o' help from a shot of coffee, occasionally

o

My most recent comment here was made almost ten years ago ... on the day before my birthday ...

... when I was to be a youngster at 75!

ole joyfuelled ... with a bit o' help from a shot of coffee, occasionally

o

They have proven it does not do any good to use the brain like that. Brain cells die and that's it.

o

Hi Emma,

I'd argue your point ...

... if I could only remember some good reasons!

o j

o

HI joyful, I googled it at a couple of sites. Our newspaper prints results of test and studies and my husbands company sends out a health newsletter with results also. I read about keeping the brain active with puzzles does not do any good. To bad because I keep mine very active.

o

Hi again Emma,

Yes ... I think that you do.

I've always been a curious cuss ... and I figure that I'll just keep on keeping the brain busy, for my own enjoyment, if nothing else.

Even if it doesn't help ... but I'm not convinced.

ole joyful

o

OJ, I also enjoy doing brain things. I do Jigsaw puzzles, crossword and other things for my pleasure. I am very good at entertaining myself.

o

I believe studies have shown that physical exercise actually seems to prevent brain shrinkage. It isn't uncommon for the brains of dementia patients to be less than 60% of normal weight, with most of the loss in the temporal regions.

There are many kinds of dementia--almost 70, by some counts--and some are in fact reversible, such as those due to medications or undiagnosed illnesses.

You will lose mental AGILITY as you age; that is a proven fact. But you do not necessarily have to lose mental ABILITY. Recent studies have shown that older people have so much more to remember that they do, in fact, take a little longer to "pull out" a known fact out of memory.

o

Hi jkom ... that doesn't look all of those 51? years,

Sometimes it helps to rejig the memory if one sleeps on an issue that seems impenetrable today.

Or ... sometimes 10 minutes helps.

ole joyful

o

Someone told me that seniors have a delaying memory problem and I forget the term she used for it. It made sense to me because I forget a person's name and I can think of it.............5 minutes later. I live in a development of mostly seniors and the benefit of that is we are all forgetful and that makes me feel that my forgetfulness is normal. LOL

This post was edited by EmmaR on Fri, Sep 26, 14 at 23:26

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Retirement Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here