Return to the Retirement Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
'No frills' over 55 communities

Posted by starose (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 31, 06 at 1:37

We're looking for a community that doesn't have golf, tennis, swimming pool, etc. We'd just like to live in a no frills adult community. The more frills the higher the cost and we really aren't sports-minded people. We'd rather spend our money on traveling.
We like Georgia or possibly North Carolina. Anybody live in a community like this?
I wish there were more senior communities in central Georgia. The few that I know of are very expensive and have a lot of extras that we wouldn't use.
starose

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 'No frills' over 55 communities

I am building a home in Mooresville, NC in a new community with just 24 homes on 2/3 rd acre lots in the 300 to 400 K range. No frills but a good location close to services. 30 miles north of Charolette.

Here is a link that might be useful: Villages at Isle of Pines

o

Exactly what we're looking for, Starose--a no frills community. No luck yet.We're looking at the Southwest (hoping to leave snow/cold).Everything seems so spendy!

o

I discussed over 55 communities with my son once and he said "yea, they're called cemetaries". No respect! Tom

o

They are not cemeteries at least not ours. I live in a patio community and the builder sells to anyone, but the covenants pretty well keep the buyers to seniors. We have small lots, 95% of the outside is taken care of by the HOA, even painting and gutters. It's mostly widows who are just a bit lonely and smile when you knock on their door. Some of us travel together, lunch together and of course shop till you drop together. We have no pool or organized community activity. Three of us hosted a new years party and had a good time getting to know each other. I highly recommend this type of community. Our home is 1,440 sq foot upstairs and 900 livable down stairs, the rest is mechanical and storage. Laundry is upstairs. And the most important was the homes are well priced here in the midwest. I paid $164,000. and that included a deck with roof, upgraded carpet and appliances. I think I've died and gone to heaven. LOL

o

Jonesy, he wasn't referring to the communities being like cemetaries but that once you hit 55 the next community is THE cemetary. Just a different perspective from a younger generation. He'll have a diffent tune in 30 years. Tom

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Retirement Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here