Return to the Retirement Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
an alternative retirement home

Posted by Minnie_TX (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 8, 05 at 0:51

Thought we all needed a good laugh!! I don't know if it was posted before.

AN ALTERNATIVE RETIREMENT HOME

There will be no nursing home in my future.........

When I get old and feeble, I am going to get on a Princess Cruise Ship. The average cost for a nursing home is $200 per day. I have checked on reservations at Princess and I can get a long term discount and senior discount price of $135 per day. That leaves $65 a day for:

1. Gratuities which will only be $10 per day.

2. I will have as many as 10 meals a day if I can waddle to the restaurant, or I can have room service ( which means I can have breakfast in bed every day of the week).

3. Princess has as many as three swimming pools, a workout room, free washers and dryers, and shows every night.

4. They have free toothpaste and razors, and free soap and shampoo.

5. They will even treat you like a customer, not a patient. An extra $5 worth of tips will have the entire staff scrambling to help you.

6. I will get to meet new people every 7or 14 days.

7. T.V. broken? Light bulb need changing? Need to have the mattress replaced? No Problem! They will fix everything and apologize for your inconvenience.

8. Clean sheets and towels every day, and you don't even have to ask for them.

9. If you fall in the nursing home and break a hip you are on Medicare. If you fall and break a hip on the Princess ship they will upgrade you to a suite for the rest of your life.

Now hold on for the best! Do you want to see South America, the Panama Canal, Tahiti, Australia, New Zealand, Asia, or name where you want to go? Princess will have a ship ready to go. So don't look for me in a nursing home, just call shore to ship.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: an alternative retirement home

LOL Minnie - sounds good to me !

o

The nursing home I work in costs $300/day--think of all that extra money you could spend!

o

That was a fun idea wasn't it?? LOL

o

Minnie you have thought outside the box, here in the UK I have come across several people who live in Hotels in fine locations instead of paying for overpriced nursing/retirement homes. Have you chosen burial at sea (to save the trees)? Long may you sing sea shanties and drink rum with fine friends

o

I see you just registered yesterday RichDragon. Welcome aboard. Maybe we can get the forum going again. Be sure to explore all the wonderful places on That Home Site (where you are now ) and the Garden Web Forums.

o

I have a friend who plans to do exactly that and is trying to talk me and other friends into joining her. Hummmm.

What's this about registering?
jan

o

Minnie
Excellent idea. Here's another one. We have friends that lived in an Assisted Living facility in Florida for $3,000 per month. A new apartment complex was built across the street and many of the residents who were able to take care of themselves moved and paid only a fraction of the cost and they ate their meals out. They enjoyed the change.
Or if you prefer to do a little traveling you could stay in hotels as you explored the country or world, instead of worrying about a home.

o

Hmm, if it costs you $200 a day to go on a cruise then that would be $73,000 a year. Do you have that kind of income or enough savings? I wish.

o

Hey, I just posted something that has been around the net and thought it was funny!!

o

The box is strangling us older folks. Use common sense-realize your age limitations and act accordingly, maintain your health in a reasonable fashion and stay clear of the death hotels. Remember: common sense is a very uncommon atribute.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Retirement Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here