Return to the Retirement Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
401 Thoughts

Posted by carlyb (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 19, 07 at 0:48

Need help with 401..I'm 62 & worried about what I'm in..
1. 20% American Growth Fund A
2. 20% Davis New York Venture A
3. 17% John Hancock Classic Value A
4. 17% Aim Mid Cap Core Equity A
5. 12% Columbia Acorn A
6. 10% American AM Balanced A

I'm not saying I'll do what you suggest but need some input. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 401 Thoughts

Your best bet is to find a CFP (not just any financial advisor, CFPs are licensed and regulated to do estate planning and comprehensive financial advising) in your area who works on an hourly basis.

Until I worked for an independent CFP last year I had no idea how truly comprehensive estate planning and financial advising worked. I was amazed at how much better it is for people to receive advice that is truly customized for their individual situations, compared to the stock software-generated financial advice that comes from stockbrokers, Am Express, etc.

Everyone is different, and has different goals along with different risk tolerances. There is no "one size fits all" retirement.

For instance, I have a high risk tolerance since we prefer to take the long-term view of our portfolio. Especially with early retirement, we will need to plan for a 30-40 yr drawdown: will the money last that long? Without a good percentage of equities in the mix, probably not. I also have a sizable portion invested in overseas funds, not the emerging markets or frothy speculative stocks, but solid global performers who have done well for us the last two years.

Any 401k is limited to the funds it invests in. It won't do anybody any good to suggest anything when we have no idea what other funds your employer offers. The best general advice is to keep your portfolio diversified between sectors, rebalance once a year or even once every two years, keep contributing as much as you can, and don't worry about market hiccups. Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Certified Financial Planners: website

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Retirement Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here