Return to the Retirement Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Are you 65 & on disability?

Posted by gajopa (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 6, 07 at 22:32

I can not find the answer to my question on the Medicare web site. I will be 65 next month and I would like to know if I will continue receiving the same amount as now or does it revert to the amount I would have drawn had I not become disabled (which would not be as much). Also, I pay a good bit more for supplement insurance because I'm disabled. Will that change to the same as other people that are 65? I'm hoping someone knows the answer to this.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Are you 65 & on disability?

I can answer your first question: No, the amount you are receiving for disability will be the same after you turn 65

o

Thank you very much, devorah. I was a bit concerned about this. Anyone else know about the cost of insurance?

o

People who are getting Social Security Disability Benefits when they reach full retirement age will continue to receive the same benefits, with the exception that the Medicare premium will be deducted, and then your net check will be rounded down to the nearest whole dollar.

o

Thanks for responding, Jannie. I've had Medicare since 2 years after I became disabled so I'm used to the Medicare being deducted. The supplement insurance was what I was concerned about since all these years I've been paying $190/mo for BC but my DH only pays $116. I got the answer in the mail yesterday from BC saying mine would go down to $116 next month when I'm 65. That's a relief.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Retirement Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here